Status: Complete.

Scribbles of a Broken Heart

Reunited

”So what do we do now?”

Garrett and I were sitting in the hallway, in front of my locker. Many of my classmates’ eyes would be drawn to my locker and then to us on the floor, but no one said a word. Homeroom didn’t start for another twenty-five minutes, but that time seemed so short. This was probably the only chance that Garrett and I would get to talk today.

“I-I don’t know,” he said. “To be honest, I wasn’t sure if the locker thing would work.”

“You know I’m a sucker for romance.”

“Yeah I know. It’s all a little surreal to me right now. It feels like it’s been forever since we stopped talking. And you were so determined to stay away from me. I thought it would take more than lyrics and a few flowers to get you back.”

I rolled my eyes, “What you did was the sweetest thing that anyone has ever done for me. So don’t demean it, okay? I…I just think that inside I knew that I couldn’t keep going on with us avoiding each other. What you did last night at dinner…I think it was like a wake-up call.”

Garrett took my right hand from my lap and laced our fingers together. Slowly he then draped it down to the floor behind us, our bodies hiding the little sign of affection.

“By the way,” he said slowly. I looked up at him. “I love you.”

I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks and I bowed my head so that my hair covered my face. The words sounded weird in my ears. It was almost as if I did not hear them from those lips a few weeks ago.

I raised my head and confidently stated, “I love you too.”

“Oh God, how I wish I could kiss you right now,” he half moaned.

I gave a nervous laugh, “We can’t risk getting caught, especially now.”

“Yeah, I know,” he sulkily admitted. “I just really missed you.”

I dared rest my head on his shoulder and gave his hand a light squeeze.

“I missed you too,” I replied. “So much.”

“You don’t know how much it’s killing me to ride the bus alone or watch you on the other side of the pool at swim practice. This whole…arrangement is so messed up.”

I lifted my head from his shoulder to look at his face.

I asked, “So what’s your genius plan to win over my parents?”

“Umm,” he looked away from me. “I have a dozen of ideas, but I don’t know which one will actually work. I need your help, which is why I had to win you over first.”

“How come?”

“Because you know them the best. You know what pisses them off and all of their weak spots. And maybe, just maybe, if we get them—or even just one of them—to cave, that they’ll let us be together.”

I looked at him skeptically, “Are these ideas good?”

“I damn sure hope so.”

I chuckled, “What do we do until then?”

Garrett thought for a moment, “We still have to act sad, at least around our parents. They’ll know something is up if we suddenly started acting happy and such.”

I nodded.

“But you,” he said to me sternly, “are going to eat more.”

I looked down, slightly ashamed.

“My parents are going to think that I’m getting better if I start eating more at dinner,” I almost mumbled.

“Then sneak food home or eat a big lunch. Do you know how worried I was? You’re skinny body losing more fat is so unhealthy. And Allison would tell me that sometimes you’d only have water for lunch and that you wouldn’t even eat chocolate. You love chocolate!”

I only smiled at how worked up he was getting.

“What?” he asked.

“It’s just nice to see you care so much.”

He smiled back at me and started to thumb the back of my hand.

I couldn’t believe that we were actually going to do this. Me being with him right then felt so much more deceitful than any of the sneaking around Garrett and I did prior. That night, my dad instructed me, without any room for question, to stay clear of Garrett at all cost. Before, I was just disobeying their rule. Now, I was flat out disobeying them. But no matter how much wrong I knew this would cause them, I had to do this. If I ever truly wanted my way, I would have to ignore the tightening in my stomach and follow the squeeze in my heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
three updates in eight days. yay me.

and a big thanks to those that comment after every update, you make my day better.

also, it would be great if you guys spread news of my story. tell a friend, talk about it. i don't have a lot devoted readers.