Status: Please comment and let me know what you think.

Soulmates

Jade

When I got in my car, my keys fell to the floor. I took a deep breath. I don’t know what happened in there. I hated the look on Angel’s face when I walked out. I scooped my keys off the floorboard and started the car. My phone light was blinking when I looked over. As I read the message, I was filled with a fresh wave of guilt. *Hey babe. Sorry I was mad earlier. Forgive me? I’ll make it up to you tonight. Seven, our spot?* It was sent almost two hours ago. I checked the time. It was 7:16. While I drove, more messages came in. *Does that sound good?* *Babe? Where are you?* *Answer me.* I pulled over and called my parents to tell them I was going to be gone longer than I’d planned.
They gave me the go ahead and I hung up. Then, I texted Kyle. *Sorry my phone died. That sounds good. I’ll be there soon. ETA 20 minutes.* I pulled back onto the road and headed to our spot. “Our spot” was an abandoned house in the woods on the edge of town. There was a meadow about two miles behind the house. When I got to our spot, Kyle was leaning against his truck. Once the car stopped, Kyle wrenched the door open. He grabbed me and half dragged me from the car. “Where have you been? Why haven’t you answered? What happened,” he demanded before I could respond. “I had to run an errand for mom,” I lied smoothly.
“And you couldn’t answer your phone,” Kyle asked. “I text and told you my phone died. I left it at the house to charge,” I said. He looked at me doubtfully. I returned his stare until he pulled me into his arms. He held me against his chest, then lowered his face to mine. As I kissed him, my thoughts drifted to Angel. How are we going to keep this from Kyle? If we don’t… I tensed as I thought about the consequences. Kyle drew back and looked at me. “Everything okay, babe,” he questioned. “Fine,” I said quickly. “What did you want to do.” “Well, we’re all alone and….” he didn’t finish. I kissed him and said, “I would, but I need to get back to the house,” “Why,” he asked. “I have things to do,” I replied.
His eyes narrowed. “Are you hiding something from me, Jade,” Kyle asked. “No,” I said. “But, mom wanted me home to put Max to sleep.” “Are you lying,” he asked. “No, mom told me before I got here that I couldn’t stay long, because they’re not home and someone needs to put Max to sleep,” I explained in a rush. “Then go. You obviously don’t want to be with me,” Kyle said angrily. I tried to put my hand on his arm, and he jerked away. He leaned in close, trapping me against the side of my car. “If you’re lying to me to meet….him, you won’t like the person I become,” he said menacingly. He moved away, got in his truck, and burned rubber leaving the driveway.
I stood there for a minute, the got in the car. I picked up my phone. There was a text from Angel saying, *Hey. Hope you get home safe. Let me know.* I sent a text saying, *We have a problem. Big problem. Meet me at my house. Come in the back way.* I gave my address, slammed my car into first, and peeled out onto the road, hoping to get home before Kyle got there. When I got home, Kyle’s truck was nowhere in sight. Thank you God, I thought. I grabbed my keys, and ran for the house. I walked into the kitchen, and I saw a shadow on the back porch. I moved the curtain and saw Angel. I breathed a sigh of relief, trying to calm my racing heart, as I reached for the door knob.
Right then, the doorbell rang. I froze with my hand on the knob. Angel motioned for me to continue opening the door. As I did, I sent up a prayer. Please, God, don’t let him wake up my parents or Max. Angel nudged me out of the way and moved into the kitchen, softly closing the door. He hugged me to him briefly. I pulled his head down and whispered, “Upstairs, last room on the right, go, quickly.” I waited while he disappeared up the stairs, then I went to the front door. I paused as the doorbell continued to ring. Did I really want Kyle in my house? He’d never been there. Not to mention my parents would kill him. “Open the door, Jade. I know you’re there.” Kyle said angrily, banging on the door.
“Stop it. You’ll wake up Max,” I snapped, stepping forward quickly to open the door. My parents were, miraculously, still asleep. “Are you the only one here,” Kyle asked suspiciously. “Besides Max, yes,” I replied. “Are you going to let me in,” Kyle asked. “Maybe, if you stop acting crazy,” I said. “Me acting crazy? No. You’re the one that’s been acting weird,” Kyle retorted. “Whatever. Just be quiet. I just got Max to sleep,” I said. “Why don’t we hang out in your bedroom then,” Kyle asked. “I’ll say yes if you stay down here for a little while, so I can clean it up,” I replied. “And you’re not hiding something? Yeah right,” Kyle said, disbelieving. “Just stay here,” I snapped. I rushed out of the room and up the stairs. First, I check on Max.
Sound asleep, good. I check my parent's’ door. Locked. I stop and listen for a second. No sounds are coming from the living room. I tiptoe to my bedroom, and open the door slowly. Angel’s attempting to hide himself under my bed. “It’s a little late now, isn’t it,” I question, trying not to laugh. He lays his head on the side of the bed and breathed a sigh of relief. “You scared me,” Angel said.I smile slightly. “Kyle’s downstairs,” I said softly. “I know, I heard him. Not very quiet is he,” Angel said, getting up to put his arms around me. “Not when he’s mad,” I said. Angel wrapped his arms around me, and I laid my head on his chest. “You okay,” he whispered. “Yeah….Kyle wants to come up here though…,” I trail off. “You could stay in the spare for a while,” I offer after a minute.
“I don’t want him close to you. Not the way he’s acting,”Angel argued. “It’s the only way I can get him to leave.” I tried to explain. “If he hurts you….,” Angel doesn’t finish. “I’ll be fine,” I assure him. I showed Angel the spare, two doors down from mine. I went downstairs to find Kyle. Kyle was looking at family pictures above the fireplace. “Hey,” I said. “You can come up now.” I held out my hand to him. Kyle takes my hand and pulls me to him. He kisses me, and I force myself to kiss him back. I pull him up the stairs, and lead him to my bedroom. I close the door quietly, as he sits on my bed. He pats the spot next to him. I sit, not touching him.
He pulls me against him, and I lean on him. “What did you do today,” Kyle asked. “Oh...just hung around the house, watched Max,” I replied. “That all,” Kyle asked, looking at me. “Yeah,” I said, kind of unnerved by the staring. We stayed that way for awhile, until I looked at the clock. It was going on 9:30. “Babe,” I said gently. “It’s getting kinda late. We have to be up early. Sorry to kick you out but….,” “Not hiding anything? Yeah right,” Kyle mutters, walking to the door. I listen for the front door to close; I run down and lock it, then I go upstairs to see how Angel’s holding up.