Status: active!! part v coming soon

Something Just Like This

Part i

Ladies and gentleman, this is your Captain speaking...just beginning our descent into Miami International Airport. It's a sunny 82 degrees Fahrenheit down there today...clear skies. We should be on the ground in approximately 20 minutes.

Brianna Evans looked out the window at the city below. She could already see the beaches below, and boats jetting through the clear waters. Smiling to herself, she tapped Kenna next to her, pointing to the view.

"Somewhere, down there is our next big adventure, Kenny," she smiled.

"Thank god," Kenna sighed. "Because I need a fucking drink."

Brianna laughed as she kept her eyes on the world below them.

Kenna had been her best friend since she was 17, but it felt like so much longer. From the day they met at Western University for residence move-in day, Brianna knew she has met her new best friend for life. After 4 years at Western, Kenna was offered a job to work in Communications for her childhood team, the Detroit Red Wings. It had now transitioned into a Director position and she was one of the best communications personnel in the league. Brianna adored how passionate she was about her job and her team. Brianna, on the other hand, stayed in school to pursue a Masters. It took her to the University of Toronto, bringing her closer to the Toronto Maple Leafs, the team she grew up loving. After 2 years in the program, Brianna's research on concussions was published and she accepted her Master of Arts degree at Spring Convocation just 2 weeks ago, as well as an opportunity to continue work in the psychology of sport concussions as a PhD student at U of T.

This 2 month getaway was definitely a well-deserved break for both of them.

The plane landed 20 minutes later, and Brianna immediately checked her phone.

"Ariana said that her and Aaron would pick us up outside the terminal," Brianna told Kenna as she responded to a message from Ariana Ekblad. "When is Dylan coming in?"

"He said that he was coming down with the guys just behind us, so I'm assuming they should be here soon."

Dylan Larkin was Kenna's close friend on the Red Wings. Since they'd worked so closely together, it resulted in a friendship. He was friends with Connor McDavid from when they played at the World Cup of Hockey last September. Connor had invited Auston Matthews and Johnny Gaudreau to join as well, so the four guys were coming down together.

"I feel the hot sticky air!" Brianna threw her arms up as they walked off the plane and down the hallway into the airport. "I legit cannot wait to get on that beach."

"But first, alcohol," Kenna reminded her. "I am in serious need of it."

The girls picked up their bags and headed out of the airport. As they walked out, they were greeted by Ariana and Aaron Ekblad in Aaron's white Range Rover.

"BRIANNA!!!" Ariana jumped out of the car running up to her friend. "You made it!"

They hugged one another. "We did! Ari, you remember Kenna, right?"

"Of course! We both were flip cup champs at Homecoming nearly every year, how could I forget?"

"You know it girl," Kenna hugged her.

They put their bags into the car and all got in.

"Thanks for getting us Aaron," Brianna greeted him. "And for setting up this house too."

"Of course, anything for Ari's friends."

"About the house by the way," Ariana spoke up. "It's fucking amazing!! Its like, four villas, and we booked them all. It's in a prime spot, right in the middle of South Beach and close to all the bars. And the best part is we all get first pick at rooms since we got here first!"

"I'm so excited!!" Kenna smiled. "This is going to be unreal."

They arrived at the house about 30 minutes later. Aaron parked his car in the garage and helped the three girls unload their bags.

"So I think there's a courtyard through here," he led them out of the garage and through a door, down a walkway and into the courtyard.

"Holy fuck," Brianna dropped her bag in amazement. "This is...wow...is this how the other half lives?"

The courtyard featured various areas of outdoor seating, and a long walkway with a balcony above it connected 2 of the Villas. Tall, groomed palm trees framed the entire building.

"There's an outdoor pool!!" Kenna ran across the courtyard and into the pool area. "This is sick!! Look at the hottub too!!"

"Let's claim the rooms before the boys get here!" Ariana waved them back as she walked into the front door.

***

"Jesus Christ Larkin you would rent a fucking G Wagon," Auston Matthews laughed as the 4 guys rolled their suitcases through the parking lot of Miami International Airport.

"Fuck off Matts this thing is sick," Dylan responded, loading his bag into the back.

"I'd like to see how John looks behind the wheel," Auston laughed again.

"Fuck you man! At least I'm legal to drink!!" Johnny Gaudreau yelled from the other side of the vehicle.

"Yet you'll probably get ID'd until your 50," Connor McDavid joined in.

"Guys get your shit in the car and get in. I wanna get there so we have first choice at rooms!" Dylan yelled as he got into the driver's seat.

"Too late," Connor responded as he got into the front seat, looking at his phone. "Eks just sent me some pics, they're all there already."

"Fuck sakes," Dylan shook his head. "Now i'm gonna be stuck spooning with Matthews."

"But the place is unreal," Connor responded, scrolling through the photos. "Theres like balcony's and shit."

"What they don't have balcony's in Edmonton, Connor?" Auston asked. "Probably because its too god damn cold."

"Fuck off Matts!"

The guys arrived at the house, and Dylan pulled into the empty garage.

"I thought you said they were here?" he asked Connor.

"He did!"

The took their bags out of the car and walked down the walkway into the courtyard.

"Holy shit," Johnny yelled. "This is dope!!"

"Looks like someone has definitely been here already," Auston walked into the front doors. 2 suitcases were in the kitchen, along with some other bags.

"They went to get food and booze," Connor replied. "Aaron just texted me. They said they already claimed their rooms so the ones with the doors unlocked are ours. Theres 2 left and they're in Villa 2 he said."

"Where's that?" Dylan studied the layout that was left on the table.

Johnny looked over Dylan's shoulder at the map. "Up here!" he ran up the spiral staircase to the second floor.

***

"I think that's more than enough for now, Bri," Kenna laughed as she pushed the cart through the liquor store. "We have rum, tequila, wine, vodka-"

"Just one more! Jager!" Brianna added another bottle to their collection in the cart.

"Plus Ari and Aaron are getting beer at the grocery store so that should be more than enough to get white girl wasted tonight."

"I'm not getting white girl wasted, Li," Brianna laughed. "That was a one time thing...every...Saturday...at Western."

"Have you met any of the guys besides Dylan?" Brianna asked Kenna as they paid for everything and left the store.

"Yeah I've met Johnny before and kind of Connor too but it was more like a passing by thing."

"...and?"

"Johnny looks like he's 14 but he's such a sweet guy. You can tell he was raised in a good family. And Connor was kind of...awkward."

"Actually?!"

"Yeah it was weird. Like I think I kind of expected that but he's also really shy which I didn't expect."

"Bri!! Over here!" Ariana waved from outside the grocery store.

"Holy shit how much food did you guys buy?!" Brianna laughed as her and Aaron pushed 2 carts out of the store.

"Enough," she laughed. "We are feeding 10 people, 5 of which are professional athletes."

"...true," Brianna shrugged, completely forgetting that she had yet to meet 6 other people.

"The guys are at the house now," Aaron said. "And they already did a few celebratory shots according to Johnny."

"And so it begins," Brianna smiled. "I like them already."

***

"This place is sick," Johnny said, sitting at the edge of the pool across from Connor.

"I know right? Eks came through for sure."

Johnny looked around at the tall palm trees, and stone walkways all throughout the courtyard. It was basically a paradise.

"There's someone here! I just buzzed them in!" Dylan called out from across the courtyard.

"Who?!" Connor and Johnny replied in unison.

"...Mikayla?"

They both looked at one another confused.

"Do you know who that is?" Dylan asked.

Before he could reply, Mikayla was walking into the courtyard.

"Hello?"

Her dark hair was up in a messy bun, and she pulled two suitcases behind her.

The first thing Johnny noticed were her tanned legs. She took her sunglasses off to reveal her big brown eyes.

"Hey!" Connor waved from the pool. Johnny couldn't even speak.

"Hi," she smiled as she put her sunglasses on her head. "I'm Mikayla...Ariana's friend...is she here?"

"No they went out to get food and booze but she said they would be back soon. I'm Connor," he extended his hand out and shook hers.

"Nice to meet you...I've written quite a few articles about you," she laughed. "I'm a freelance for NHL.com. So I know...a lot about your career."

"I'm assuming thats a good thing," he replied.

"Oh yeah, for sure."

"This is Johnny," he nodded to Johnny across the pool.

"Hey," she gave a small wave.

"Uh...h-hi," he replied, stuttering a bit.

"And he will give you the grand tour."

"Great!" she smiled as Johnny gave Connor a confused look. "Never thought I'd get the tour from Johnny Hockey himself."

Johnny just smiled - the whole situation was making him feel awkward. "I...it's nice to meet you, uh, Mikayla."

"You too lovely!" she smiled and walked towards the front door.

***

"What the hell kind of hideous vehicle did those idiots rent?" Ariana laughed as they pulled into the garage next to the G Class Mercedes. "It looks like..."

"A box," Kenna laughed. "But I'm not even surprised considering Dylan rented it."

The four of them unloaded the car, walking up the stone walkway across the courtyard.

"KAYLA'S HERE!!!!" Ariana yelled as she spotted Mikayla in the kitchen talking to Johnny.

"ARI!!!" the two girls greeted eachother with a hug after Ariana set down the bags on the table.

As they started talking and catching up, Brianna stopped in her tracks as she caught of sight of a shirtless man walking across the bridge connecting the two villas.

"Holy fuck...who was that?" she responded to the view, and Kenna stopped.

"Who?"

"Did you-did you miss that?! Just now?!"

"I don't know what you mean," she laughed.

"I saw...something, or someone, rather walking across that bridge and holy fuck he was hot as hell," Brianna giggled as she walked into the house. "Woo! I need a drink now to calm down."

As they set the bags down and started putting the groceries away, the bell for the front entry buzzed.

"That's probably Scarlett," Ariana said, walking over to get it. "Hello?"

"hey...it's Scarlett."

"Hey love! Come on in!" she buzzed her in. "There's our final roommate!"

"I haven't even met the rest of y'all yet," Brianna laughed. "I'm overwhelmed already."

Scarlett came in a few moments later, long blonde hair and a big smile.

"Hey!" she waved as she walked in with her bags. "I'm Scarlett."

"Scarlett?!" Johnny spoke up as he recognized a familiar face. "I had no idea you were our final roommate..."

"Surprise," she laughed. "Nice to see you!"

They hugged one another and everyone looked a bit confused.

"How do you guys know each other?" Connor asked.

"We were neighbours," they replied in unison.

"But once he got all famous and stuff he forgot I existed," she laughed.

"Jesus, shots fired," Connor laughed, helping to put away the groceries.

As Ariana, Aaron, Kenna, Brianna and Connor put away the groceries, Scarlett found her room with with the girls.

Dylan and Auston came downstairs.

"Hey!" Kenna hugged Dylan as he came into the kitchen.

"Hey Kenny, great to see you," he smiled, before introducing himself to Brianna and Ariana.

Auston came in after him, and Brianna finally learned the name of the shirtless wonder; ...who still happened to conveniently not be wearing a shirt.

"I'm Auston," he introduced himself as he shook hands with Brianna.

"Brianna," she smiled. "Nice to meet you."

"Where are you from?"

"The city you play in," she smiled.

"Oh..." he replied. "So what do you do?"

"I'm a PhD student at U of T...well, I'm actually starting in September. I just finished my Masters."

"So you're really smart then."

"Well...I'd say more so proficient in a few subjects."

He smiled. "I like that."

"Hey loverbirds, gather 'round the table, we're doing a celebratory shot!" Kenna interrupted, grabbing Brianna's arm and dragging her to the table where the rest of the roommates were. 10 tequila shots and 10 limes sat on the table.

"Alright everybody..." Ariana began. "Welcome to Miami! Now that everyone has met, I say we get a bit more acquainted and start this summer off with a bang and some tequilaaaaa!!!"

"Fuck," Connor shook his head. "I already want to die."

"Get with the program McDavid, you're one of us now," Ariana laughed. "So, before we all get too messy, what is everyone up for tonight? I'm sure there's something going on considering its a Thursday night at the beginning of the summer."

"Club!" all the girls responded at the same time.

The guys shrugged, and nodded in agreement.

"Well that was easy," Ariana laughed. "Anyways, welcome to Miami; welcome to summer. Let's make this toast to new roommates and new memories."

"And Brianna's graduation!!" Kenna added.

"And this tall fucker being named a finalist for the Calder," Dylan put an arm around Auston's shoulders. Everyone laughed.

"Okay...so a shot to Miami, summer, graduation and...tall fuckers and the Calder," Ariana chuckled and raised her shot. "Cheers everyone!!!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading our first part!! ilt88 and I first wrote this story close to 4 years ago and have decided to do it again, this time with all new characters. Our previous one received great feedback so we're excited to do it again! Please let us know what you think - thoughts on the plot, characters, etc. Feedback is love!

AN: here's the house I'm using as a their Miami House