Status: active!! part v coming soon

Something Just Like This

Part ii

“So what do you think of the girls?” Dylan asked as he walked into the bathroom where Auston was focused on his signature hairstyle.

“...I like ‘em,” he said, taking a drink of his beer. “No complaints.”

“Fuck off Matts, you know what I mean,” Dylan replied. “I saw you and Brianna earlier.”

“We were talking,” Auston said, turning to face Dylan. “She’s smart.”

“...and…?”

“Fuck I don’t know Larks, why are you heckling me about this shit?” he responded, walking out of the room and picking up his shirt off the bed.

“Because I’m pretty sure you kept your shirt off for that reason only.”

“Whatever you say man.”

“And speaking of, you dress like a fuck boy.”

“A who?”

“Look at you man, your ripped jeans and shit. And the v-neck...is that an Arizona kid thing or…?”

Auston ignored him, walking out to the bridge connecting the villas. The sun was almost down but it was still 80 degrees out. Taking another drink of his beer, he looked over towards the villa beside theirs and Brianna was looking back at him.

***

“Fuck!” Brianna ran back into the bathroom where Mikayla was.

“What?” she laughed as Brianna ducked down by the shower.

“Oh my god, I’m such a weirdo!”

“Why?”

“I was...I...fuck I can’t believe I just did that…” Brianna stood up, leaning against the counter where Mikayla was curling her hair. “I was kind of, looking where the guys were and I didn’t think anyone saw me, then I made eye contact with Auston right away it was so awkward, he probably thinks I’m a freak, I -”

“Bri,” Mikayla stopped her, setting her curling iron down and facing her. “I promise you, he definitely doesn’t think you’re a ‘freak’. He thinks other things of you, but definitely not that.”

“How do you know?” Brianna took a sip of her vodka soda.

“Because. It’s pretty obvious, I mean anyone standing in that room earlier could easily tell that he’s interested in finding out whats under that dress.”

“Kayla!”

“What? I’m just being honest,” she laughed.

“Are you talking about Matthews?” Kenna poked her head in.

“Yeah,” Mikayla replied, picking up her curling iron again.

“Oh yeah, he definitely wants a piece of Bri.”

“Oh my god-”

“It’s true, love,” Kenna said. “And once he sees you not only in that tight little dress but also those pumps...it’ll be obvious to you too.”

Brianna looked at herself in the mirror as she put her black sequin pumps on with her red bodycon dress. The front wasn’t too low cut, but showed enough. She paired it with a double chain necklace and some bangle bracelets.

“Is it too much?” she asked Kenna and Mikayla as they finished their hair in the bathroom.

“Oh. My. God. Bri!!” Kenna smiled at the sight of her best friend. “You look fabulous! Matts is gonna lose it when he sees you.”

“I’m not trying to impress him, Kenny.”

“Well I think you will anyways.”

“You look fabulous too, as always,” she smiled, adoring her blue dress and black wedges . “So do you Kayla!

“Thanks girl,” Mikayla finished her drink. “Anyways, I need a drink fill up. Shall we?”

***

“I think I got it,” Johnny announced, playing with the functions on the sound system. “It says it’ll play through all the villas if I press -”

“Roses” by The Chainsmokers started booming from the sound system throughout the kitchen where the guys had set up beer pong.

“This is sick!” Ariana and Scarlett came in, joining the five guys. They were taking some warm up shots, when Mikayla, Kenna and Brianna came down the spiral staircase.

“Bri, I’m not sure how long I’m gonna last in these shoes,” Kenna laughed, holding on tight to the railing. “I’m bound for a club tumble tonight.”

“I think we all are,” Mikayla laughed. “What’s up boys?”

“Uh...hey, you, uh - want a drink?” Johnny asked. “We’ve got a bar set up.”

“Yes please! I need a refill,” she smiled, following Johnny to the island counter.

“You two look amazing!” Ariana smiled, joining Kenna and Brianna.

“So do you two! I love your shoes Ari!” Brianna replied.

“Thanks, they were a birthday gift from Aaron. He knows my taste,” she smiled. “Perks of being a twin!”

“Scarlett rocking the crop top look, I love it!” Kenna added.

“We’re all looking fire for night one,” Scarlett replied. “And I don’t think I’m the only one that noticed.”

She nudged over to where Connor and Auston were, talking to Aaron and Dylan. But their eyes weren’t exactly too focused on the conversation.

“Did you hear what I said?” Aaron asked, waving his hand infront of Auston and Connor. “What’re you - ohhh I see what you’re looking at.”

“What?” Connor asked, looking back at Aaron. “I was just-”

“You better not be looking at Ariana,” Aaron replied. “Besides she’s with Smith and I have a hard enough time accepting that let alone one of you guys.”

“What do you mean ‘one of you guys’?” Auston laughed.

“Like one of the ‘league’s saviours’. The last thing I need is Ariana’s relationship being aired out to everyone.”

“What makes you think we’re those type of guys?” Connor asked. “We’re not fuck boys, Eks.”

Aaron threw his hands up in surrender. “Okay okay, I’m not saying you are I’m just...I grew up close to that girl and I’ve seen her have her heart broken and since Kenna and Bri are friends of hers, it would hurt me equally as much to see either of them hurt.”

The three guys joined the rest of the group around the beer pong table as everyone formed teams.

“Who doesn’t have a team?” Johnny asked as he looked around the room. “Connor? Matts?”

“Negative,” Auston replied.

“Alright how about...Brianna? We’re trying to keep it even, guy - girl team.”

“Uh…” Brianna looked over at Auston.

“Sure,” Auston replied. Brianna joined him on the other side of the table.

“I hear you’re super competitive,” she took a sip of her drink.

“Maybe,” he laughed.

“Well good,” she smiled. “That makes two of us.”

Kenna was paired with Dylan, Connor with Kayla, Ariana with Aaron and Johnny with Scarlett.

As Connor and Kayla, and Brianna and Auston started the game, Ariana’s phone rang.

“Hey babe,” she walked out of the kitchen and into the courtyard.

Kenna watched as her face quickly went from her usual happy, to visibly upset. She looked over at Aaron who wasn’t picking up on it, as he was talking to Johnny. Kenna stepped out into the courtyard.

“Reilly, I told you I was coming here, you knew!”

Kenna could hear the voice on the other end yelling back.

“What’s that supposed to mean?!”

Ariana sat down on the front step.

“No! I never said that! I said that i was coming here with Aaron for the summer along with 4 other girls and 4 guys. I never said - PARDON?!”

Reilly was yelling again on the other end. Ariana was holding back tears. Kenna came up and sat next to her.

“You know what, I’m not doing this right now its ridiculous. Can we just talk tomorrow?” She took a sip of her drink. “...hello? Reilly?”

She looked at her phone; the call had ended.

“Sorry,” Ariana apologized.

“Don’t apologize hun, no need. Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, he just gets like that sometimes.”

“Was that your boyfriend?”

Ariana nodded. “Yeah, Reilly. He’s Aaron’s teammate - please don’t tell him you saw us fighting, he has no idea.”

“No idea that you’re dating or-”

“Oh no no! He knows but...he doesn’t know that we’ve been on and off like this for the last few weeks.”

“Don’t worry I won’t say anything...I’m just a bit worried about you...I don’t want to see you upset like this.”

“Thanks Ken,” Ariana smiled a bit. “I just...I care for Reilly, I really do but...he always takes things so far. Like he knew that I was coming here right? And now he claims that he didn’t know that there were going to be guys here. Aaron TOLD him specifically who was going to be here but he claims that didn’t happen. He always gets so jealous when I’m around other guys.”

Her phone buzzed and it was a message from Reilly: how about you do you and i’ll do me.

“What the fuck does that mean?” Ariana shook her head, typing back with question marks.

He responded: i mean what i said. You be on your own because clearly thats what you want living in a house with a bunch of guys.

“Oh my fuck,” Ariana spat. “He does this ALL the time. I guarantee you tomorrow that he’ll call me and act like nothing happened.”

“Ari! Kenna! Let’s do a shot!” Kayla waved at the girls.

“Come on love, let’s go have fun, yeah? Forget about him and just have fun with your new roommates tonight. You deserve better than that,” Kenna stood up, offering Ariana a hand.

“You know what? You’re right,” Ariana took her hand and stood up. “Fuck that.”

***

“It’s all on you now, Brianna.”

Auston smiled at her as she held the ball in her hand, focusing on the final red cup infront of Connor and Mikayla. Taking a deep breath trying to ignore the effects of the alcohol, she lined up for the shot. The ball landed in the cup.

“YEAH!! See ya McDavid!!” Auston threw his arms up in celebration as Connor shook his head. Brianna was learning Auston was as competitive off the ice as he was on.

“You’re welcome,” she smiled, taking a sip of her drink.

Without saying a word, Auston wrapped his arms around her, pulling her body against his. She wasn’t sure if anyone noticed, but it felt so right. “You’re my new favourite person in the house now,” he smiled as she looked up at him.

“We’re next! Come on Johnny Hockey,” Scarlett dragged him by his wrist over to where Auston and Brianna were. “Kenna, Dylan - get your asses up here!”

“Need a refill?”

“I do,” Brianna smiled, following Auston into the kitchen.

His quiet demeanour was beginning to disappear; she noticed that as he drank, he became more open and talkative. She wanted to know more about him and this was her chance.

“So, Auston Matthews, saviour of my Toronto Maple Leafs,” she started, making another vodka soda. “What’s your story?”

“What’s my story?” he smiled softly. “What part?”

“There’s more than one?” she propped herself up onto the counter across from where he was standing.

“I’d say so,” he laughed.

“Well...what’s your background? Your favourite...things to do when you’re not playing hockey? What’re your friends like? Family...that type of thing.”

He stood next to where she was sitting, leaning against the counter. “Well, I grew up in Arizona. Was born in Cali but we moved just after to Glendale. My mom is from Mexico and my dad California. I have two sisters who I’m really close with, Alex and Breyana. Uhm...I started playing hockey young and just...I got lucky I guess.”

“Lucky? I wouldn’t say lucky,” Briana replied. “You’re talented. I mean, I’ll be honest, I knew a lot about your career so far coming into the house being a Leafs fan and all.”

“So why’re you asking me then?” he asked with a cheeky grin.

“Because I want to get to know Auston Matthews the person, not just Auston Matthews the star hockey player. Like...what’s one interesting fact about you?”

“One interesting fact? Hmm...well...I never knew you guys had bagged milk in Canada. Like what the fuck is that?”

“What?!” Brianna set her drink down.

“Yeah, I didn’t know that was a thing, it’s...weird.”

“Okay come on, Matthews! First of all, don’t diss bagged milk. And second of all, that’s not a fact about you, that’s just something you didn’t know - it doesn’t count!” she laughed.

“Okay, fine fine. Uhm...I have a nickname.”

“Do share!”

“So since I’m the only boy in my family, it’s a Mexican tradition to call the only boy “Papi”. I’m not sure if you’ve heard of people calling me that but...yeah. It’s a name I’ve had for as long as I can remember.”

“That’s really neat,” Brianna caught herself smiling again. “I like it.”

“Thanks,” he chuckled softly, a bit shy. “Your turn now. What’s one interesting thing about you, Evans?”

She took a sip of her drink. “So...I’m also half of another ethnicity like you.”

“I thought so,” he replied. “I could tell you were a mix of something.”

“My mother is Native American. I even have a name and everything, it means ‘heart of fire’. I guess my grandfather could tell from the day I was born that I always had a restless soul and it would take me to interesting places.”

“That’s...amazing. Inspiring,” Auston stood infront of where she sat.

“Thank you.”

He was slowly closing the gap between them. Setting his drink down beside her, he took a step closer, resting his hands on the counter on either side of her. “There’s something about you, I can’t quite put my finger on it,” his voice was at a near whisper.

“Oh really?” her eyes caught his. “You’ve peaked my interest.”

He mumbled a response, in Spanish.

“What’s that?”

“Oh yeah, I speak some Spanish too,” he smiled a boyish grin.

She shook her head with a smile. “You sure are interesting, Auston Matthews. More than just a hockey player, that’s for sure.”

His hand touched her softly. “Apparently I am.”

She leaned closer, face inches from his. She could feel his breath against her skin, the heat of his body close to hers.

“Brianna! Shots!!” Ariana came running into the kitchen. Auston stepped away right away, picking up his drink.

“Obey the boss,” he smiled, walking back to where the beer pong was still going on. Brianna slid off the counter, Ariana walking over.

“Well...what was that?!” she blurted.

“What was what?” she replied, feeling her cheeks burning red.

“Oh come on Bri! I saw what was happening there, two more seconds and you two were gonna be all hands.”

“We were not,” she laughed. “We were just talking.”

“If that’s ‘just talking’, then sign me up!” Ariana laughed. “He likes you, I knew it.”

“He’s cool. I think he’s an interesting guy.”

“Whatever you say, honey,” Ariana winked. “I give you guys maybe 24 hours before you’re a thing.”

The two girls joined the rest of the group where Kayla, Kenna, Johnny and Connor were all holding shots.

“And where were you,” Kenna asked with a cheeky grin. “I noticed you and Matts conveniently disappeared.”

“Oh it’s a thing now Kenny,” Ariana replied.

“Don’t listen to her!” Brianna laughed. “We were just talking.”

“Well cheers to just talking then,” Kenna lifted her shot, and the 6 of them downed the tequila.

“I fucking love this place,” a slightly intoxicated Johnny stated bluntly. “I never want to leave!”

He put his arm around Mikayla, who had her arm around him. Everyone was already pairing off on the first night.

“So, you missed it,” Scarlett joined the conversation. “Kenna and McDavid are TOTALLY a thing now.”

“Kenna?” Brianna turned to her red haired friend.

“We’re not a thing!” she replied. “But we’ve hit it off.”

“As in they can’t stop STARING AT EACHOTHER!” Scarlett laughed. “Look at them!!”

Sure enough, Kenna and Connor, across the table from eachother kept smiling at one another.

“And then there’s Brianna and Matts getting all hands and stuff,” Ariana added.

“WHAT?!” Scarlett looked at Brianna excitedly.

“We weren’t getting all hands; we were having a...good conversation,” Brianna replied, looking over at Auston, who just so happened to be looking back at her.

***

STORY nightclub was packed for a Thursday night with it being the beginning of the summer and all.

They had a VIP booth with bottle service. There were dancers on various stages and DJs pumping out dance music. Everyone was all over the club, and as Brianna came back from the dancefloor with Kenna, Auston was sitting in the booth with a very drunk Johnny.

Brianna sat next to Auston and Johnny sprung up as he spotted Mikayla.

“Kayla,” he hugged her to him. “Dance with me.”

“Of course,” she smiled, and they joined the crowd on the floor.

“All alone?” Brianna turned to Auston.

“Taking it all in,” he replied. Brianna had a strong buzz and could sense he was also the same.

She was looking around too; the club was unlike any place she’d been to in Toronto. It was just a general happy place to be, with people smiling and dancing to the music without a care.

“Why are you so far away?” he interrupted her thoughts.

She moved closer to him, his arm going around her shoulders naturally.

“Hello again,” she turned to him with a smile.

“Hi,” he smiled back. She put a hand on his leg. “Where were we before Ariana came in again?”

Trying to figure out the best answer, Brianna felt her cheeks burn up. There was something about him that was making her feel a certain way so early into the summer and she didn’t know what it was. All she knew was that she was enjoying every minute of it.

“Well it was something like this,” she turned to face him, his face inches from hers.

He showed that boyish grin again.

“Dance with me,” he breathed against her skin.

His mysterious demeanour was so intriguing and she couldn’t help herself. He took her hand, leading her onto the dance floor as a remix of “Into You” by Ariana Grande filled the club. Bringing her body close to his, Auston’s hands were low on her waist, and she snaked her arms around his neck. The intensity of his stare was making her weak, and she looked around the club, trying to calm herself.

She spotted Connor and Kenna back at the bar, his hand on the small of her back. He leaned in and said something to her, to which she laughed and kissed him. It seemed as if that wasn’t the first time.

“I’m still trying to figure out what it is about you,” Auston spoke softly into Brianna’s ear.

She faced him again. “How will you ever figure it out?” she joked back.

“I’m willing to put in the time to do so,” he replied. As the danced close, he completely closed the gap between them, their bodies moving in sync. He brought a hand up to brush her shoulder, then her cheek.

Before she could even respond, his lips were on hers. She kissed him back, arms wrapped around his neck.

And she thought that Ariana was wrong when she said she gave it 24 hours. They didn’t even last 2.

***

A few hours later, they were all back at the house in the pool and hottub. Johnny was three sheets to the wind passed out on the couch.

As Ariana had predicted everyone has paired off. Aaron had turned in for the night to call his girlfriend and she sat next to Kayla.

“So what do you think so far?” Ariana asked her as they sat with their feet in the pool.

“I love it here,” she replied with a smile. “That club was so fun. And so was Johnny.”

They both laughed. “He’s so into you, I could tell right away. Hell, I could tell with everyone.”

“Brianna and Auston are interesting aren’t they?” Kayla replied. “They both keep denying it but I saw them in the club. As soon as they thought no one was around they were all over one another.”

“I know right? I’m not sure why they keep denying it but I called it.”

Kenna and Connor were in the hottub, his arms around her. Dylan was talking to Scarlett while Auston and Brianna were also in the hottub, talking but not touching.

“Matts everyone knows! Stop denying it!” Kenna laughed.

Auston didn’t say a word, smiling at Brianna who was also silent.

“Do it!” Connor yelled. “Come on Matts don’t be a wuss!”

As Ariana and Kayla watched, suddenly Johnny came running out of the house and jumped into the pool.

“Kayla! Why’d you leave me?!” he swam up to where she sat next to Ariana.

“How are you alive?” Ariana laughed.

He smiled out of the corner of his mouth. “It’s all those Skittles!” Dylan yelled out.

Even though Reilly had started off Ariana’s night on a sour note, it ended up being so much fun. If night one was any indication as to how the coming months would be, she couldn’t wait for the rest of the summer.

“Ari! Come get in the photo!” Kayla called over from the other side of the pool by the edge of the hottub where everyone had gathered for a picture.

After Kayla took the picture, she posted it on Instagram, tagging everyone in it.

night one in the books. watch out Miami, the best is yet to come! #newfriends #summerseventeen
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all the subscribers so far! Hope you all enjoy where the story is going so far. It's been fun!

I also created an "unofficial playlist". The link is on the main story page! xoxo