Status: Updating whenever possible. Hopefully once a week.

Starting Over

Chapter Five

“She did what man?” Brian asked again while we were working out.

“She asked me out in possibly the smoothest way I could ever think of man,” I said as I was spotting for him, “We overheard Jace and River talking about us dating probably because River overheard me talking to Val about how I wanted to ask her out to get to know her better without the kids. When we heard that I probably was about the shade of a tomato and she played it off like she owed me dinner. Then proceeded to tell me she would text me a time and place for dinner. Who the fuck thinks that quick on their feet?”

“You man,” Brian said chuckling as he was finishing his first set of reps, “You were always one to think like that. How do you think you suckered Val into dating you?”

I didn’t respond to Brian’s comment because he was right. I was usually pretty smooth when I wanted to date a woman but I hadn’t been in the dating field for years. Ever since the divorce with Val, I knew that I didn’t want some fling or someone to date me because of who I was. I wanted a real and honest relationship and I knew that I probably couldn’t get that through an online dating profile.

“So, has she text you yet then?” Brian asked as my phone went off signaling I had a text message.

Brian then smirked at me as he looked at my pocket and then back up at me.

“So, are you going to answer it or what Sanders?” he asked knowing damn well I was going to answer it.

Melrose: Hey Matt. Hope you are enjoying your morning. Was thinking we could dinner at my place around six on Wednesday? Also, we still on for today for our play date? I was thinking the zoo maybe the kiddie rides? Anyways, let me know.

Brian was already reading my text message and laughed at me.

“You’ve been in constant contact with her since you’ve met?” he asked raising an eyebrow at me.

“What?” I asked trying to contain my smile, “I have to get to know this woman. She is the mother of my sons’ best friends. What if she turns out to be some axe murder or pedophile?”

“I highly doubt Val would let that happen while we were on tour,” Brian stated almost immediately, “You have the hots for her man. I don’t blame you. She’s attractive. Michelle even said so when she met her Friday. She totally said that she wouldn’t even be mad at me if I hit on her while she was present.”

“Wow,” I said as Brian got back under the bench to finish his last set, “I don’t even know how to respond to that comment.”

“Then don’t,” Brian said as he did his last rep, “Well are you going to reply to her or not?”

Me: Can’t complain today kid free working out with Brian. Dinner tomorrow works for me. And kiddie rides for sure, the boys love visiting that place. Wanna meet around five?

“Already did,” I said shoving my phone back into my pocket and switched spots with Brian and did my reps.

We lifted for about another hour before we decided to go grab some breakfast since I knew Brian wanted to know more about what was going on between me and the tattoo artist who just entered my life.

“Do you like her man?” Brian asked as we got a booth at one of our favorite diner’s in town.

“I don’t even know how to describe it man,” I sighed looking at him, “It’s really refreshing to meet someone who knows who I am and knows what I do and doesn’t give two shits about it. I mean she does care about what I do but she doesn't see dollar signs, she just sees me. I don’t think I could meet someone like that even if I tried.”

“I’m glad you found someone like that man,” Brian said as we looked over the menus even though we both knew what we wanted, “Maybe things might work out for you this time. Not that things were bad with you and Val.”

“No, I get it man,” I said, “Things with Val were great we just grew apart and we knew that we were going to miserable if we tried keeping things the way they were.”

Before anything else could be added to the conversation, my phone started ringing and Mel’s face appeared almost immediately. I knew something was up because Mel rarely called using a phone. Her preferred method of contact was text message and if she was calling something had to be wrong. I quickly answered it looking at Brian a little bit worried. Before I could get the word hello out, Mel was already panicking about something.

“He took them Matt,” she said frantically, “He took them and I don’t know where they are. The school let him take the kids without my permission. My children are kidnapped!”

I was already putting the pieces together looking at a worried Brian but I wanted to make sure I was arriving to the correct conclusion.

“Mel, Mel, I need you to take a deep breath,” I said calmly, “Who took the kids? Where are you right now Mel?”

“Derek!” she exclaimed in between her shallow breathing, “The kids had a doctor’s appointment today and I went to go get them and the secretary stated she let someone claiming to be their dad take them! Who does that!? I’m in the principal’s office flipping shit! They just called the police. Charlie’s doing a tattoo, my parents are still on vacation, Val’s supposed to be getting in today, Lenny’s running the shop because I’m not there and Charlie’s busy, I’m sorry I called but I didn’t know who else to call.”

“I’m on my way,” I said without thinking about it, “Stay put and try to stay calm. . .wait never mind forget what I just said. Just don’t leave. I’ll be there in five.”

I then hung up the phone not even waiting for a response from and standing up from the table. Brian looked at me confused but followed suit.

“Her piece of shit ex kidnapped her kids,” I said without stating anything else.

“I’ll text the guys maybe we can start canvasing the area without the cops first,” Brian said already jumping into help out.

“Perfect,” I said, “Call Charlie and let him know what’s going on. I’m dropping you off at your house on the way to the school. I’ll send a picture of everything once I get one from Mel.”

I don’t know how fast I drove but I knew Mel needed someone there for her and I didn’t care if it was her brother or me. I dropped off Brian and basically sped the entire way to the school. I couldn’t even tell you if I parked in two spots in the parking lot but stormed into the school to find Mel trying to keep it all together while talking to the cops.

“Mel,” I breathed feeling my heart break just by how she looked.

“Mr. Sanders,” Mr. Flanagan, the principal started but Mel cut him off quickly.

“He’s here because I called him,” she said icily, “He stays.”

Mr. Flanagan must have been married for quite some time because he didn’t even fight it when Mel opened her mouth. He just nodded his head as I then put my full attention back on Mel. You could tell she was trying to keep her composure but on the inside she was a hurricane of emotions. She was talking to the police office that was already here, and I just put my arm around her shoulder and she gave me a small smile.

“Yes,” I heard Mel’s end of the conversation, “Zander had on grey sweat shorts and a black t-shirt with black Vans. Jace had a bright blue Ralph Lauren shirt with dark blue shorts and Sperry shoes. Yes, I dropped them off.”

“Alright,” the office said, “We’ll start canvasing the area and let you know if we have any changes. The best thing you can do is try to take a deep breath and stay calm. Your ex-husband couldn’t have gotten very far.”

I could tell Mel was trying everything in her not to punch this cop standing in front of her, so I decided to step in and end the conversation.

“Thank you officer,” I said, “We really do appreciate your help.”

The officer gave me a thankful glance and turned to head out of the school. Once he was out of earshot, I turned to look at Mel and gave her a worried look.

“We need to go start looking,” she said starting to walk and then turned to look back at Mr. Flanagan, “We will be speaking to the superintendent about this incident on my time.”

She then started walking forgetting about me and I gave both Mr. Flanagan and the secretary an apologetic look and took off after Mel.

“Mel!” I exclaimed catching her right outside the school, “Mel! Slow down.”

She then turned around and I think her eyes grew about ten times the normal size.

“I called you,” she said and put her head in her hands, “What the actual fuck?”

“Hey,” I said pulling her hands out of her face, “You tried calling everyone else but they were either busy or weren’t in town. I’m not mad Mel. I’m more worried about the boys and you. What the hell happened?”

“The boys had an eye doctor appointment today and I was coming to get them to head to it,” she said, “I walked into sign them out and the secretary told me that I had just missed them thirty minutes ago. That Derek had picked them up with a signed note from me stating that he was going to take them to their appointment. From there I can’t really tell you what happened because I’m pretty sure I just lost my shit on the principal and secretary. Now I need to go find my kids and ex-husband.”

“Let me come with you,” I said, “Two sets are better than one.”

“No I. . .” she started but her phone started ringing.

She immediately answered it and I assumed it was Charlie. About two minutes into the conversation her head snapped to me and I awkwardly stood there waiting for the conversation to end. When she hung up the phone, she unlocked the passenger door and opened it up.

“Get in,” she sighed, “I can’t believe you sent Brian to the shop.”

“A thank you would be just fine,” I said as she rolled her eyes.

“Look,” she sighed, “I’m sorry I shouldn’t be an absolute bitch. Thank you for enlisting your friends to help look for the kids, but what about Cash and River?”

“Val’s plane came in three hours ago and she’s already aware of what’s going on is going to pick up the boys,” I said, “We’re spending the rest of the day finding your kids and Derek. We’re friends Mel. If you’re my friend, I don’t give up on you simple.”

Mel sighed again as she started the car up and shook her head.

“Keep your eyes opened Sanders,” she stated, “We’re going to our usual hangouts to scout for them. If you’re going to help, then you better be ready to get dirty because I’m not sleeping until I find them.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay in updating, works been crazy!

Let me know what you all think!