Small Town Girl

*Chapter 14*

I looked at the tests in disbelief. Positive. I am pregnant by my accidental husband. Holy shit. I walked downstairs slowly, shock was clearly written all over my face. Mama and Mel saw the look on and Mama asked slowly, "Baby? Are you okay?" I plopped down beside her and handed her the tests. "Mommy, I'm pregnant." She looked at me and she and Mel began to squeal. That is until Mom started coughing. We quickly helped her then it was a blur of the two older women going nuts talking about the baby. "Oh goodness! Lizzie! Does Brent know?" A blank expression came across my face. "No, Mama, not yet. Mommy, I'm scared." I said as I began to cry. Mel came over to us and she and Mom held my hands. "Honey, why are you scared?" Mom asked. "Because Brent and I have technically only been 'together' for about a month and he's been on tour for 3 weeks of that month. How am I suppose to tell him that his accidental wife of 1 month is pregnant?" "Sweetheart, calm down. You're going to be fine. Just call him. He's your husband, he has the right to know. And for the record, you two may not have been together long but he already cares about you and you clearly care about him. That much is obvious. Call him, Love."

I nodded and walked to the back yard to call Brent. I took a minute to calm down before slowly dialing his number. The more it rang, the more nervous and nauseous I became. By the time I got his voicemail, I thought I was going to puke. "Hi, Brent. I um..need to tell you something really important. Can you call me back as soon as you can? Please? Okay. Bye." I walked back into the house and sat with Mama and Mel. "Did you get hold of him?" Mel asked. "No. I got his voicemail. I am so scared. All of this is happening so fast. I have had a little time to process this and I'm scared shitless. How's he going to react? What if he doesn't want it? What the hell am I going to do?" By the time I finished talking I was hysterical. Mama and Mel sat on each side of me, holding and rocking me back and forth and telling me everything was going to be okay. Suddenly we heard a knock at the door.

Mel got up to answer it while I remained in my mama's loving embrace. "Liz, Honey, you've got company." Mel told me as she returned to the living room I looked up to see Barry, Zach, and Eric looking at me with worried expressions. They walked over to me and began rambling off questions. Not even a minute later I saw Brent walk into the room. As soon as he saw me, he rushed over. "Elizabeth? Are you okay? What's wrong?" I looked at him and fell into his arms and cried harder. "Boys? Let's go to the kitchen and catch up. Lizzie and Brent need to talk." They all slowly followed the two older ladies to the kitchen and nothing was heard except my sobbing. Brent and I sat on the couch and he held me tight to his chest and let me cry. He waited until I calmed down before gently asking again, "Baby, what's wrong?" I looked up at him terrified. "Brent, I'm pregnant." He looked at me and blinked a couple times. "You are?" I nodded quietly not looking at him. "Elizabeth, why are you crying? Sweetie, that's terrific! You're giving me something I've wanted for a very long time. You're making me a daddy." He looked at me with a mile long smile on his face. I looked at him shocked.

"You're happy?" He nodded. "I'm ecstatic! Are you not happy?" "Brent, I'm terrified. We've only been married for a month and you've been gone for 3 weeks of it. I'm scared to let you in and get attached more than I already am." "Why?" "Because you're a friggin rock star! You and the guys are known all over the world! People throw themselves at your feet on a daily basis! You guys have seen so many beautiful places and beautiful women in those places! You could have anyone you want and after drunkenly getting married in Vegas, you chose to stay with me and try to make it work. Now we're having a baby? I'm scared to get attached because I'm afraid that you'll wake up one day and realize I'm not worth it and you could do so much better. Brent, I'm just a waitress that works at her Aunt's diner and takes care of her sick mom." He took a minute to process what I'd said. "Elizabeth, you have nothing to be scared of. From the second I met you, I knew you were different. I have a confession to make. I saw you and Jimmy at the show. I actually pointed you out to the guys and told them how I wanted to meet you. But when you left and didn't come back I figured I'd lost my shot. Imagine my surprise when we walked in to that bar and saw that guys being a douche, I knew I had my chance. i was so happy when I got to swoop in and be a knight in shining armor." I giggled as he winked and puffed out his chest.

He chuckled as well before continuing. "Then the next morning when I woke up and saw you sleeping next to me, I couldn't help but feel happy. Then I saw the wedding rings and I couldn't stop the smile that spread from ear to ear." Subconsciously I played with my wedding ring that sat perfectly on my finger. He put his fingers under my chine and gently lifted my face until I was looking him in the eyes. "Elizabeth, you're right. Not to brag but I probably could have anyone I want. But answer me this. Why would I want anyone else when I have a woman who is beautiful in every way, already by my side. You see the good in everyone. You have been through so much and work so hard and still you see the good side of everything. You are the bright light in the dark. You make everyone you meet smile and feel loved and wanted. Sweetheart, you have nothing to worry about because I already have the woman I want. and now you're giving me an amazing gift. You're making me a daddy. That's the greatest gift anyone could ever give me."

I didn't know what to say so I fell into his arms and cried once more. "Oh, Elizabeth, I didn't mean to make you cry. What's wrong?" I looked up to see worry and guilt etched into his handsome features and couldn't help the giggles that bubbled out. "Brent, I'm fine." I said as I sniffled. "Then why are you crying?" He asked. "Damn hormones are gonna kick my ass during this pregnancy." I said chuckling. He laughed and pulled me to his chest. We sat like that for what seemed like forever before he spoke again. "You know what? I wanna take you on a date. A real honest to God date. We're married and we're having a baby now. The only time we've been out was the night we met in Vegas and we know how well that went." Brent said and winked at me. I giggled as he continued. "Elizabeth Jane Smith? Will you do me the honor of going on a date with me? Our first date?" he looked at me with an adorable puppy dog look on his face. I giggled again and nodded. He smiled and hugged me tight to his chest once more before pulling away with a grin. He then turned toward the kitchen and laughed out loud. I turned to see everyone peeking around the corner like naughty children. I laughed as well. They looked so guilty at getting caught eavesdropping.

"Guys you all can come out now. We also have something to tell you." Brent told them. He then looked at me asking silent permission to tell everyone the news. "Guys, we're having a baby! I'm going to be a daddy!" Brent exclaimed. Then cheers erupted from everyone as they gave their congratulations to us and gave us hugs. The guys even took turns talking to my belly and telling my unborn child how excited they were and how they were going to be the best uncles ever. I laughed and turned to Brent when he said my name. "Liz, do you have something nice but casual to wear?" I thought for a second before answering with a simple "Uh huh". He smiled at me and I felt my knees get weak. "Okay good. Now the guys and I are going to leave that way you and I have time to get ready. I'll pick you up at 7. Is that okay?" "That sounds good to me. I'll see you then." We smiled one more time at tone another before he turned to face the guys. "Let's go, Guys. Let's leave these beautiful young women to do what they do." He winked at us and we laughed as they walked out the door.

"Brent! Wait!" I ran after him. he turned around to face me. "Yeah? Are you okay? Baby okay?" He rambled and got down on his knees to check my tummy. I smiled at the sight before me. "Brent, we're fine. I promise. I just.." I trailed off thinking of what to say. He had stood up when I went silent. I couldn't think of anything to say really, so instead i leaned up and kissed his cheek. "I'll see you at 7." "Okay, I'll see you then." We smiled and I turned to see the guys leaning against the car waiting for Brent. "Hey, Guys! Make him look good for me and Little Peanut!" I shouted with my hand on my tummy. Brent played mock hurt and the guys laughed out loud telling me not to worry and that he'd look decent by the time they got done with him. If we're being honest, that man could never not be attractive. I winked and turned to go back inside to get ready for my first official date with my husband the father of my unborn child.