Where We Are

63: You Like Him

“Are you sure that you don’t mind me going?” Iker posed as he pulled his t-shirt down over his head, his dark eyes settled on Maia who sat on the bed, gently cooing to Charlie who blinked sleepily in her arms. It had been quiet night, with Charlie proving to be a quiet baby, both Iker and Maia had been afforded more of an opportunity to sleep than the keeper had been expecting, and he was grateful for it, even it hadn’t been the most comfortable night’s sleep. He had been grateful to get a few hours’ sleep.

Maia, who was staring down at Charlie, smirked a little at his question before she lifted her head, arching an eyebrow playfully. “You going to be away for a couple of hours, no?” she asked.

Iker, who’d moved to pull his jacket around his shoulders, admired her smirk briefly before he rolled his eyes, something which made Maia giggle gently before she gently shifted across, making a space for him at her side. “I know I am being stupid” he commented as he sat down “But I do hate that I have to go” he added, sparing her a quick look over his shoulder before he dropped his stare, settling it on Charlie who stirred slightly, his tiny nose wrinkling in his sleep.

Maia followed the line of his stare, admiring their son for a moment, before she dipped forwards, kissing the top of Iker’s head gently. “I know you do” she murmured “And it’s not silly, but it is what it is. You have to go to training, it’s important, and me and Charlie, we’ll see you at home. It’s a couple of hours, Iker, and then you get to come home” she added, her voice soft and reassuring.

Iker was quiet for a moment, mulling over her words, before he nodded his head softly, wordlessly agreeing with her. “Have you spoken to your papa?” he posed quietly.

“I sent him a text this morning to remind him to bring your bag with him” Maia confirmed “He said that he’d be here in about ten minutes” she added.

Iker nodded his head before Charlie let out a soft sound, something which caused him to lean forwards, carefully lifting the little boy up into his arms. Wrinkling his nose slightly, he made a note of the scent which had filled the room before he pushed himself up to his feet, carrying Charlie towards the changing mat which they had set up.

Maia, who was sat on the bed, watched the two of them together for a few seconds before the sound of a tap at the door filled the air, causing her to lift her head, her eyes settling on Hector who stood in the doorway, a sheepish look on his face. “I’m a little early” he noted “Am I disturbing you?” he asked.

Maia shook her head. “Of course not” she noted “It’s good to see you, papa. Why don’t you come in?” she added, offering him a warm smile.

Hector hesitated briefly, sparing a slightly dubious look around the room, before he took a pace forwards, stepping deeper into the room. “How are you feeling?” he posed as he stepped a little closer to the bed, his eyes darting towards Iker who sat at the foot of it, quietly changing the baby.

Maia followed the line of his stare, not missing the slight look of awe which had passed over his features, before she shook her head, her fingers shyly pushing a few strands of her dark hair behind her ear. “I feel OK” she mused “But I am sure that you’d rather talk about something else, no?” she posed gently.

Hector, who’d been quietly admiring the baby, smiled a little before he turned his head, meeting the stare of Maia’s blue eyes. “He’s a good looking boy, Maia” he enthused softly “He looks a lot like his papa” he added, sparing a pleasant smile towards Iker who was quick to return it, wordlessly thanking him for the compliment.

Maia admired the brief interaction between the two of them with a small smile for a second before the sound of Iker’s phone filled the air, causing the keeper to let out a small groan. “That’s my alarm” he noted “And that means that I need to get going” he added as he leant forwards, gently offering Charlie out towards Maia.

Maia nodded her head gently before she pushed herself forwards, carefully taking Charlie into her arms before she leant back, settling against the pillows once more. “I’ll see you at home?” she posed.

Iker, who’d moved to collect his bag, nodded his head swiftly before he stepped back towards the bed, pressing a quick kiss against Charlie’s head before he dipped in, stealing a couple of quick kisses from Maia. “I’ll see you there” he murmured “I love you” he added.

Maia’s cheeks flushed a little at the words before she leant up, stealing another quick kiss. “I love you too” she mused tenderly.

Iker’s lips quirked a faint smile at the sound of her words before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached his ears, causing him to let out a small chuckle before he lifted his head, not missing the playful glare which had formed on Hector’s face. “Lo siento, Hector” he quipped.

“I’ll see you later, Iker” Hector noted.

Iker flashed him another warm smile before he ducked out of the room, something which caused Maia to shake her head, a soft smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “You like him” she quipped.

Hector, who’d moved to settle down in the seat beside the bed, tilted his head. “Huh?” he posed.

“Iker” Maia quipped “You like him” she added, her voice warm and teasing. It wasn’t a surprise to her, for a long time, her father had appeared, at the very least, slightly fond of the goalkeeper, but it meant a lot to her to see them getting along, even if they did still get slightly awkward around one another from time to time. She liked the idea of her father and her fiancé being close.

Hector smiled a little, not missing the warmth in her voice, before he shrugged his shoulders gently. “I like that he makes you happy” he noted “You’re my little girl, Maia, and all I want is for you to be happy, and with Iker, that seems to be case. I am not going to lie, for a while, I didn’t exactly envision it working out for the two of you, but then you fell pregnant with Ella and everything seemed to settle into place. You’ve made hard work of it, but you seem to be happy and that makes me happy. I’ll like Iker for as long as that stays the same” he insisted gently.

Maia mulled his words over briefly before she shook her head, a soft smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “I think you’ll be liking him for a while yet, then” she murmured coyly.

Hector nodded. “I don’t doubt it” he quipped warmly. He knew that they were still figuring things out, both Maia and Iker would be the first to admit that they were still figuring out the kinks of their relationship, but Hector was optimistic about them, even if he was cautiously so. He was more than slightly hopeful that it wouldn’t be too long before he walked his daughter up the aisle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)