Status: Focused

When Tragedy Strikes

Uncle Brian

Lucy sat in her car waiting for herself to calm down. She needed to pull it together before she was confronted by her daughter. It was the last thing that Gracie needed to see. She pulled out her cellphone and called the only number that she knew would make her feel better.

“Hello?” His voice asked.

“Hey…” She tried her best to keep her emotions in. The last thing she wanted was to have her brother know that he was indeed right, but she couldn’t…she needed to talk about it. She swallowed her pride, took in a deep breath and said, “You were right…Zack came over, put two and two together and I’m not sure at this point if he’s going to take me to court or not. Do you think he can do that?”

“Oh Lucy.” He cooed. “I don’t think he’s heartless enough to do that. I think he’s just upset.”
She rested her head on her steering wheel. A tear dripped down her pale face as she thought about the consequences of her actions. Why couldn’t she go back and time? She wished she could start over again and do things differently.

“Hey, it’s ok. Shit happens. Let it roll of your shoulder. You’ve done what you can do.” He reminded.
Lucy started to respond but was cut off by the knocking on her driver’s side window. She pulled her head away from the steering wheel to be met with Brian’s face. She weakly smiled and rolled down the window and lipped ‘one second’

“Josh, I gotta go. I love you.”

“Love you too. Text me later. Bye.”

Lucy clicked her phone off and slowly got out of the car making sure to lock it behind her. “Hey.” She said while wiping her eyes. “Brian it’s so good to see you.”

“You too.” He paused as he lifted his thumb to Lucy’s face. He wiped the last bit of mascara from underneath her eye. “Where’s the baby girl at?” He wrapped Lucy in a tight hug and instantly the two felt more relaxed. It was amazing what a simple hug could do for two people.

“How did…”

“Jimmy couldn’t hold a secret from me even if he wanted to.”

Lucy pulled out of his hug and leaned against his car. A light chuckle fell from her lips. “Of course.” She wasn’t surprised when she saw the frown forming on his face. His eyes looked tired and he looked exhausted. Lucy wasn’t the best at comforting people. “I’m sorry about Jim-“

“Don’t.” He quietly spoke. “I’ve heard it too much in the last few days and I just I don’t think I can hear it again.” He shifted uncomfortably. “I’m not prepared for tomorrow. I’m exhausted and I have no idea how the fuck to feel right now.”

Lucy nodded her head understandingly. The task of changing the conversation seemed nearly impossible but she didn’t want to see Brian hurting like this. She took in a deep breath and asked.

“Wanna meet your niece?”

Brian half-heartedly smiled. “I do.”

The two made their way back towards the house feeling more relaxed then either felt before.

“She’s pretty shy so don’t be shocked. It’s kinda weird she really likes Johnny.” Lucy chuckled. “Probably because they are the same height.” She teased.

Brian laughed as they walked into the living room. They could see Gracie through the sliding glass door chasing Johnny around with a bug in her hand. Gracie froze when she saw Brian and Lucy standing at the open door.

“Mommy!” She raced over to Lucy. “Uncle Johnny is afraid of worms!” She manically laughed and showed Lucy the worm.

“Nice catch… you should probably put it back on the ground so he/she can find his family.”

Brian laughed as he bent down to Gracie’s height. “That’s a big one. I see why Uncle Johnny is afraid. You know who is not afraid of worms?”

She looked at him with big eyes waiting for him to tell the secret. She looked up at her mom waiting for her to tell her if this new person was safe.

“It’s ok. This is Uncle Brian.”

Gracie smiled and dropped the worm. She reached her arms out to Brian and wrapped them around his neck lovingly. “You need hugs.” She whispered in his ear. She slowly let go and asked her mother. “Why do I have so many Uncle’s…”

Brian chuckled. “That’s a good question.”

Lucy's eyes widened in surprise. It was like Grace was a new person around the guys. She felt at ease and no anxiety came to her after Lucy had given the green flag. She was all about her new found family.

“Tell me the secret.” Gracie demanded. “Who isn’t afraid of worms?”

Brian stood to his feet and pointed inside. “Uncle Matt.”

She gasped loudly. “I’m gonna show Matt!” And with that she was running inside to go find her other Uncle.

Lucy smirked a she looked up at Johnny. “God she really likes you.”

He sat in one of the plastic chairs on the porch. “”Yeah, she’s a cool kid. I’m surprised she’s not a little shit like Zack.”

She smiled as her and Brian took a seat next to him. “She’s got Zack's temper, don't let her fool you. She’s just being freakishly calm today. Which is wonderful, don’t get me wrong. I think she subconsciously knows that she’s with her family.”

Brian pat Lucy’s back. “Zack will come around. He’s got other shit going on too and don’t get me wrong I would have lost my shit if it was me in his position. I would have torn you too shreds.” He teased.

“Well, thank you for not being the father of my child.” She laughed. “I really hope that after tomorrow Zack and I might be able to talk…I really want them to get to know each other but I’m only here for such a short time before I have to go back to work.”

Brian nods his head and grabs a beer out of the cooler. “Don’t expect much. Give it sometime. But yeah I mean he can always go there if he wants.”

Lucy grabbed Brian’s beer and took a sip. “He’s threatening to take me to court.”

Brian chuckled. “If he tries to take you to court I will personally kick his ass.”

“Me too.” Johnny laughed.

“God.” She leaned back in her chair. “I feel so at home. I love you guys and I’m sorry it took this to bring us together. I’m glad we are all here though.”

Brian and Johnny nodded their heads. “Us too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Small filler. What are your thoughts?? I am going to write out a funeral scene and you don't have to read it but it will be there.