Status: Ongoing

Our Past Only Makes Us Stronger

Changes Start In The Past

"Jiji we aren't supposed to tell people" I groaned as he chuckled. "Naruto my dear I think of you as my own granddaughter you will still need to come see an old man from time to time." Looking at Shikamaru who still had his head down on the bed I looked up at Jiji his age clearly showing on his face as he smiled at me. Getting up I hugged Jiji tightly "Of course I will Jiji your family" I said still trying not to cry from seeing him. Releasing me he sat me down gently "Behave for the Yoshino and Shikaku and if anybody comes after you come get me Naru. Have a good day child" the third Hokage said smiling once more before dismissing himself from the room.

Running into the bathroom I changed into my obnoxious jumpsuit that was almost falling apart and blue ninja sandals. Walking back out I mumbled to myself about stupid clothes and that I didn't like it. "Naru stop whining you're so troublesome. I already have you something at my house that you're going to love. Ino and Sakura helped pick it out and it's still orange so the color won't be much different. Troublesome blonde" Shikamaru said as he sat up and yawned. "Alright children we need to be heading home. You two can go and get all of Naruto's things from her apartment if you would like but be home by dinner time Shika if you two are late you will have to take care of the deer by yourself tonight" Yoshino said smiling and leading us out of the hospital. "We will be home shortly Yoshino-san. I can't thank you enough for what you have done. You didn't have to do this" I said fidgeting awkwardly.

Laughing Yoshino grabbed me up in a hug "You don't have to thank me. You are family dear maybe one day it will be more permanent" she said looking at me and Shika. "Kaasan" Shikamaru whined at her as he pulled me away. Laughing Yoshino walked off towards their compound, "Shika stop" I said making him slow back down. Dropping my arm he stood a half a step behind my right arm. Grabbing his hand I pulled him beside me so that we were equal. "I don't need someone to stand behind me and protect me. I need someone to walk beside me" I said sighing rethinking about agreeing to live with him. "You are my Hokage I am to protect you Naruto" he reminded me. Rolling my eyes I pouted before putting on a fake grin. "I am not Hokage right now and that means that you don't have to walk behind me".

Opening up my apartment door I rushed in and stopped staring at the boxes and people in my apartment. "Teme what the hell are you guys doing in my apartment" I stated. "Hokage-sama we are packing up your place to go and live with Shika" Hinata said smiling at me. Groaning I rolled my eyes "I know how to take care of myself. What if I had refused to stay with him and his family" I asked exasperated. Everyone in the room snorted at my statement. Walking over to the boxes I looked at what was in them and groaned. "The jumpsuits are trash. I will not be pretending to be a male or anything."

"Hai Hokage-sama we have already thrown the rest of them out" Sakura said smirking at me. "Dobe we have one outfit you can change into before you get your new clothes" Sasuke said handing me a bundle of clothes. Dashing away from the craziness I sought solitude in my bedroom.

*3rd person point of view*

Naruto disappeared into her bedroom leaving the rest of the Konoha 11 alone in her living room. "Shikamaru Nara what the hell did you say to her" Sakura demanded her pink hair short and pulled back by a ribbon. "I only told her that she was Hokage and I was to protect her" Shikamaru said plopping himself back on Naru's couch. "What did she say for you to say that" Sasuke asked as he looked in the kitchen cabinet shaking his head at what appeared to be an endless supply of instant ramen. "She said something about not needing anybody to stand behind her and protect her she needs someone to walk beside her."

"Well have you told her how you feel" Neji asked from Naruto's bookshelf that he was placing stuff from it into a box. "Why would I do that. She is the Hokage for crying out loud" Shika said opening one of his eyes. "Wait you like her" Hinata asked a grin threatening to take over her face. "It doesn't matter if I do or not. She is the Hokage and I am her head strategist, I can't tell her." "Like hell you can't tell her, it would do you well if you told her. The girl only has eyes for one person and he likes to say troublesome way to much" Ino said loud enough Shikamaru could hear her. "This is so troublesome how am I supposed to fix this" Shikamaru asked looking at the blank ceiling. "Take her for ramen soon but most of all tell her or she will never figure it out. Hokage-sama has issues when trying to figure out whether or not a guy likes her she can't take hints very well" Hinata said as she sat down beside the couch.

Naruto came out of her bedroom door in a orange kimono shirt with the Uzumaki swirl on the back, black shorts underneath with wraps on both of her thighs and heeled black ninja sandals with orange laces on her feet. Her hair was pulled up in pigtails her goggles on her head holding back her bangs that would frame her face and piercing blue eyes making her look like her father even more. "You look amazing Hokage-sama" Shino spoke up for the first time since they had gathered. Looking at Shikamaru Naruto nodded her head "Thank you Shino and Naruto or Naru will do just fine in this timeline. I don't think very many people will be happy if I am called Hokage in public one to many times" Naru said looking up towards her ceiling.

Shikamaru just stared at Naruto afraid to blink and that this would be a dream. "We're going to be helping take these boxes to Shikamaru's compound soon so that you two aren't late for dinner" Choji said while munching on a bag of chips. Slapping a hand down in the middle of her living room floor Naruto's chakra formed a silencing seal for privacy. "Okay so first things first how the hell are we going to explain the poor demon fox child getting 11 new friends in one day" Naruto finished saying before Sakura punched her in the back of her head. "...Ittai" Naru exclaimed holding her head in her hands. "You do not talk about yourself like that Hokage-sama if I so much as here you say anything about you being Kurama I will pummel you" Sakura said with everyone agreeing. "Guys leave her alone she is only saying what she hears at this age. However I will hurt anyone who tries to say something like that this time around" Shikamaru said looking at Naru closely gesturing to the spot beside him on the couch.

*Naruto's point of view*

Blushing I sat down beside Shikamaru as everybody else sat in the floor or leaned against the wall in Neji and Sasuke's case. "We really do need to attempt to stick to the timeline as much as possible.." I began to say as everyone cut me off. "What the hell does the timeline mean to any of us. We're here to make a difference Hokage-sama" Neji said with his arms crossed. "Okay so screw the timeline as you guys put it but we are still going through with graduation like normal. I will have a meeting with Hokage-jiji soon and then after that we will have a meeting with the clan heads and start fixing things in our village" I proposed to my trusted advisors and closest friends. "This I do believe that we can work with. We need to make sure how we act doesn't leave the village till we are all ready. We also need to get back to training guys there's only so much our body's can take" Shika said looking at everyone seriously.

Nodding the group agreed "Okay so since Hokage-sama said we would end up back in time before graduation I grabbed some things were going to need to train as soon as I woke up at home today" Tenten said pulling out wraps in colors with chakra weights on them. "That's wonderful! I can place invisibility seals on the weights for everyone but Lee because I highly doubt he's going to give up his traditional weights like Gai. We can get started on my kunai order tomorrow I need to draw up seals anyway" I replied groaning as I thought of the hassle getting supplies is going to be. "Don't worry so much Naru well take it all in stride you troublesome blonde" Shika said causing many people to chuckle. Flushing I rolled my eyes as I looked through the window "How long do you think I have before Kakashi tracks me down frantic about my well being" I asked looking at Sakura.

"Haha not very long at all Naru he was pissed off in our timeline when he realized he got played by Donzo but he doesn't expect someone to take you in either" Sakura said her green eyes hardened in determination. Chuckling Sasuke looked at everyone from his spot against the wall "I would love to be a fly on the wall during that conversation." We all laughed as well "Guys there are at most 4 boxes of stuff that needs to go with me so what in the world would the rest of you be doing on this walk" I asked looking at them. "Accompanying our beloved Hokage of course" Ino sad matter of fact with a hand on her hip. A smile on my lips I gave up there was no point in arguing with them. Shikamaru grabbed my hand again squeezing it lightly making me blush "We need to talk later Naru" he whispered in my ear. "Of course" I said letting go of his hand and standing "We should probably head out because if you two are late for dinner Shikamaru's mom is scary" Choji said munching on chips still.

Akamaru barked and looked around at everyone as if he was pouting. "Hey has anyone else noticed the looks Akamaru has been giving. You don't think it's possible that he traveled back as well do you" Kiba asked from the floor a little Akamaru in his lap. "That is quite possible Kurama and Ichibi also think that the souls of the summons animals may have traveled back with us as well to be honest" I replied looking at him. Sasuke, Shino, Neji and Lee each grabbed a box that was to go with us, Choji held Akamaru on his own head feeding him chips from his bag. Shikamaru grabbed my hand again and led the way out of the apartment, Sakura, Ino, and Choji lead the group in a protective type circle. Lee and Kiba were on either side with me and Shika in the middle with Sasuke, Neji, Hinata, Tenten and Shino were at the back the guys slightly behind the girls. "Well we look like a mob" I informed the group sweat dropping. The girls giggled and the guys looked as if they were smirking.

"You are well protected Hokage-sama" a smaller version of Sai said popping out of ink. Jumping up startled a I gave the signal for everyone to relax, "Sai had you been anyone else and I'm sure they would have taken you out. What happened to laying low and I would get you out soon" I asked staring at him. "Donzo's curse mark is gone so that's good but he suspects something he went on and on about the 3rd Hokage letting you live with the Nara's but not join root." he said falling into line right in front of me and Shika behind Ino and Sakura. "Shit. Okay so I will go to the Hokage office after dinner unless we get home early then I might be able to invite him to dinner without raising suspicion to certain people" I mumbled as we kept walking. "We can stay if it is needed Hokage-sama" Neji said.

There were several civilians mumbling about me the 'demon child' possessing or brainwashing the rest of our group. Shikamaru gripped my hand tighter in his and I shook my head rolling my eyes at their antics. Sasuke I noticed had stopped walking at the group of civilians behind us. "You know it's funny how all of you live in a shinobi village and yet you can't tell the difference between a scroll and a kunai. Naruto has never done anything to you and she has also never raised her hand to defend herself from any of you either. That's a miracle in itself. If I had been the subject to your hatred and judging there is no telling if I would have flipped out on you guys by now. I probably would have broke. So stop blaming a child who's supposed to be your hero and keeps what's inside her inside her everyday so that you won't have to face it again. Or are you all doubting the amazing powers of the late 4th Hokage. Be glad he didn't ask to use your child" Sasuke said with so much conviction in his voice making me squeeze Shika's hand tighter.

"Sasuke" I said using part of my Hokage voice. "Hai" he said catching up to us as the rest of the group congratulated him. Sighing I looked down at my hands afraid of what might show on my face. "Naruto stop beating yourself up. You are not alone and we are not going to let you go through hatred like that this time around. I don't want you depressed. Uchiha spoke what was on everyone's mind, none of us no how you didn't snap the first time around" Shikamaru whispered into my ear pulling my face up til our eyes locked. Blushing I smiled and nodded at him as we closed in on the clan compound district of the village. Taking a deep breath I walked in sync with the rest of the group. At this age I only really knew Shikaku Nara because he was in on my pranking to make the village security tighter.

Lost in thought I worried about how this was going to go with people I had grown close to during the years of growing up and during the war. To say I was nervous was nothing I was freaking out greatly when an empty beer bottle was headed directly at my head. Catching it in my left hand I stopped and dropped it at my feet disgusted and shocked at my own actions. "Dog, Snake take the man to I&T. We do not condone actions such as that in this village" Jiji said leaving no room for arguing from behind me. Freezing I slowly turned and faced him "Well Naruto this is quite the group of friends you have here. I recognize all but one of you I'm afraid" Jiji said smiling at me. "Jiji I can explain" I started but he chuckled "Yes I trust that you will when we get to Shikamaru's house" he said as him and his newly appeared ANBU snake and dog at his back.

"This is so not how this was supposed to go dattebayo" I said to my group who mainly just shrugged in response. Cursing mentally at the verbal tic that slipped and my luck I gave up following the Hokage as we approached the clan head house in the Nara compound. Whispers were heard around us from the clan members talking amongst themselves about the Hokage being there and the huge group that Shikamaru was apart of plus he was with me the newest addition to the clan. None of the comments were bad just curious as no one expected this, as we got closer to the house the group I was in stopped. The head deer pushed his way between Lee and us "Tsuyoshi" I whispered as I held out my hand. The deer like he would years later in the original timeline stuck his head in my palm. Petting him I smiled at Shikamaru who had let my hand go so that I could pet him with both hands. Wrapping an arm behind his antlers I was not prepared to be hoisted up in the air and sat on his back. Shikamaru followed as Tsuyoshi bowed his massive head before taking off into the forest.

Tsuyoshi means Strong