Status: slowly updating

Rush Hour

IV: To lose one's train of thought

The elevator doors opened. I got out and approached the school's entrance. I found Adam sitting on the sofa, next to the door, reading the newspaper.

"Hey" I said, softly.

"Oh hey", he said, in the same tone I used.

"Have you been waiting for a long time?" I asked, sitting beside him.

"Not really. I needed to buy some stuff so I went to K-Mart. I arrived like 5 minutes ago", he said, putting his newspaper aside. "Wanna go now?"

I nodded.

"See you later, Dave!" he told the guy sitting at the information desk.

"See you, Adam! Have a nice day!" Dave replied.

"So you know Dave...?" I asked, surprised, as we were leaving.

"Of course! I come here a lot. My brother is studying here."

"Really? What major?"

"Finance"

I remained silent.

"Let me guess. You're also studying finance", he said, smirking.

"Yeah."

"You might know him. He's very smart and very fun to be around." He said, proudly. "So I know this place in Brooklyn, do you wanna go?"

"Sure!" I replied.

***

"Wow. I thought it'd be, like, far away!" I said, as we were leaving the subway station.

"Maybe it is. Maybe I told you to get outta that train before we had to just to kill time and annoy the shit out of you..." Adam replied, matter-of-factly.

"Ha ha sure, what are you gonna do, sing the Meow Mix song?" I said, playfully.

"I was thinking about making you walk in circles for two hours but your idea is better", he replied, moving his right index finger in circles. "Nah, just kidding. I don't wanna scare you away. It's that building. The blue one."

We approached to that five-story building. The restaurant looked kind of cool, but it was closed.

"Oh. Dammit. It's Wednesday, right?"

"Yeah", I said.

"I'm so sorry. I thought it was Tuesday."

He remained silent for a few seconds, tapping his foot.

"I've got it! There's a great café a few blocks from here, they have bands play there and stuff. They also have food and there's a vegetarian menu. The only problem is that it opens at 5:30. We'd need to kill time or reschedule. Please don't reschedule!" he said, faking dramatism.

"Ha ha no, I don't work today. I don't have to. But I have to confess I'm really hungry. Let's get anything, please", I replied, shyly.

"Same", he said. He was about to say something else but he started laughing. "I had a really stupid idea but forget it."

"Is it related to the Meow Mix song?" I asked.

"No, it's just that..." He started, trying to stop laughing.

"No problem, most of my ideas are stupid. Don't worry." I replied, sketching a smile. "Say it."

"What?"

"Come on, just say it."

"I... I live at 10 minutes from here. Er... Maybe we can eat some lasagna and listen to Weezer, and then go to the café", he suggested.

"Let's go", I said.