Status: Will be slow in updates as am still in full time education but will try to update as regularly as possible

Better for You

Chapter 15

The past week had been tough to say the least. It had been almost impossible to get over Harry and I when we were technically never a ‘thing’. The worst part was that I had to pretend like everything was ok; that I wasn’t hurting.

I’d lost count of how many times I had smiled at Abby and said, “I’m ok” but the truth is that I still hadn’t meant it once. I had spent the entire week smiling and pretending that I was ok, trying to push the burden of what had happened away. But it was sitting there menacingly, in the back of my mind waiting for the right moment to wash over me completely so that I could drown in it.

My mum had also suggested that we should have lunch together to talk as I hadn’t seen her since our fight and she wanted to check up on me. I was wearing a black crop top with a blue skirt along with some sandals and a brown handbag. I had also put on a bit of eye make-up as I had had a hard time sleeping recently which was starting to show around my eyes.

The three knocks on my door bought me back into reality as I sighed, forcing myself up from the comfort of my bed and over to the door which opened to reveal my mother looking slightly off as she hugged me tightly as if she was afraid that I would break otherwise. “Hi mum.” I whispered, inhaling her usual scent of coco chanel perfume.

“Are you ready?” She asked to which I nodded before following her out of my dorm and to her car.

“How have you been?” I asked my mum and she looked at me and paused, considering what to reply with.

“I’ve been good thank you.” She answered rigidly and I furrowed my eyebrows as we came to the exit of the building. “What about you? How have you been?” She asked.

I stiffened slightly before forcing a smile and replying with, “good.” My mum looked at me skeptically as we walked over to the car. She quickly unlocked it and I got inside, fastening my seatbelt. I looked across to my mother who was eyeing me warily. “What?” I asked and my mum shook her head at me.

“Do you think that I don’t know when something is on your mind?” My mum asked and I sighed resting my head back onto the car seat. This is what I was worried was going to happen. I was worried that my mum would pick up that something was wrong and make me have to talk it out and spill my feelings.

“It’s nothing, just boy issues; that’s all.” I told her quietly, fiddling with my fingers in my lap.

“Izzy, you only just ended your relationship with Mike, which I had to find out through his parents I should add” My mum commented with a stern tone. “Why didn’t you tell me? Do you have any idea how humiliating it is to find out this from Mike’s parents?”

“I’m sorry mum, it was just over so fast that I didn’t really think to tell you.” I muttered, staring out of the window and hoping that the conversation might end there.

“Well, next time you plan on making a major life decision it might be nice of you to think about your mother when doing so” my mum continued and I inhaled and deep breath, not having the effort to argue with her.

“Ok, I won’t do it again.” I told her and she smiled at my words.

I looked out of the window and my breath hitched in my throat as I noticed where we’d be eating. Of course my mum would choose for us to eat at the same diner that Harry took me to on our not-a-date-but-felt-a-lot-like-a-date thing.

My mum pulled up in the car park and I followed her into the diner. When we sat down a waitress came over and politely handed us our menus with a friendly smile. I thanked her quietly scanning through it, reminiscing how Harry and I had spent the evening the last time that I was here with him.

“What are you going to get darling?” My mother’s voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

“The chicken Caesar salad?” I asked softly and noticed a frown form on her face. “What?” I asked.

“I just remember reading an article which said how unhealthy the sauce is - maybe you should get it without the sauce?” She suggested and I sighed.

“Ok mum,” I agreed while tapping my fingers against the table. “What are you going to get?”

“I might do the same as you, I think.” My mum agreed and I forced a smile at her as the waitress came over and we ordered our food along with a glass of water each.

“So what was it that you wanted to tell me?” I asked my mum as the waitress left.

“It can wait till later.” My mum replied, but I was never going to take that for an answer and my mother knew that; I’m a curious person.

“Mum.” I pushed and she sighed.

“You’re not going to like it.” She warned me and I shrugged my shoulders nonchalantly. “Fine; it’s about Mike.” She told me and my blood froze in my veins and my body stiffened.

“What about Mike?” I asked warily, not sure if I wanted to know about whatever it was any more.

“He’s been suffering a lot since the break-up.” My mum told me and guilt overwhelmed me.

“H-how is he? Is it- is it bad?” I stuttered, my voice betraying my anxiety.

“He’s not good Izzy. Catherine says that he’s not in a very stable place right now which is why I wanted to talk to you.” My mum paused, “you and Mike were best friends before your relationship and I think that you should be there for Mike; not as a girlfriend but as a friend because he needs one now.” My mum told me and I nodded my head.

“Yeah, I should probably talk to him.” I agreed and my mum nodded her head just as the waitress came out with the food. She handed the plates over to us and I eyed the salad hungrily.

“The chicken is amazing.” My mum told me as I stuffed a piece into my mouth and hummed in agreement.

“So I was thinking, Abby’s parents Greg and Tina suggested that we could have a barbeque together next weekend? Are you free then?” My mum asked and I nodded my head.

“Yep, can Abby make it?” I asked and my mother nodded her head.

“Yeah.” My mum replied and I smiled.

“You know, I joined a gym.” I told her and a smile lit up her face as she placed her hand over mine.

“That’s brilliant, Izzy. Have you been going a lot? I thought you looked healthier.” She told me and I forced a smile at her.

“Yea, I haven’t been much but I am trying to be healthy.” I told her and she nodded.

“Your father would be proud of you, Izzy.” She told me and I stiffened at the mention of my father.

Just then, laughter filled the air from behind us as some people walked in. I turned around to look at the people walking in when I noticed Lacy, and then Zayn coming from behind her and then him. Harry. I flipped my body back around bowed my head slightly, trying to not get noticed.

“What’s the matter? Do you know them?” My asked and I nodded my head shyly.

“Uhm, no. They go to my college that’s all.” I told her and she nodded her head, eyeing the group.

“Hmm, they look like trouble I must say.” She commented and I took a sip from my water as she finished her salad.

I looked around for the waitress when I noticed her talking to Harry and his group, taking their orders. I then noticed a blush creeping onto the girl's cheeks as Harry undoubtedly flirted with her. She then cut a glare at Harry and walked away, to give the chef the order.

When she came back I signalled her over and she walked over to us with a flustered appearance. “Please can we have the cheque?” My mum asked and she smiled at us, going to get it and then returning with it.

Once my we’d paid, we got up from our booth and I turned to walk towards the exit when I noticed Harry staring at me. I awkwardly tucked a strand of hair that had fallen out of my bun behind my ear then started walking towards the exit, which happened to be near where Harry was sat.

I walked towards the doors with my head tilted towards the ground slightly as I tried to ignore Harry, but that was pretty much impossible to do when Harry grabbed my hand murmuring my name in his low husky voice, sending electricity racing up my arm from his touch.

“Leave me alone, Harry.” I whispered harshly, freeing my hand from his grasp then following my mum out of the diner. I didn’t allow myself to turn around and look back at Harry as I walked away, as I knew that he’d be watching me go, and once I looked at Harry with his eyes full of guilt it was very hard to walk away.

“Did you want to get anything while we’re out?” My mum asked me as we reached the car. I did need to get a car, but I had only just started my job waitressing at a nearby restaurant. I had gone to town with Andy last Saturday, and managed to find a well-paid job there so I called them up and went to the interview there and managed to get the job. My first shift was yesterday and it had gone well, and I had made a few friends with a few of my co-workers.

“I do need a car…” I trailed off and my mum nodded her head.

“Well how about we get that now?” My mum asked and I smiled and nodded my head. “Good, I don’t expect you to pay for all of the car. How about we split it?” My mum asked and I looked over to her with wide eyes.

“Really?” I asked and she simply smiled at me as she started the car.

After a long shopping trip with my mother we had eventually decided on a small grey golf. Although the car was fairly old, it had a sturdy build and I was more than excited to drive it around the campus. My mum and I had parted ways from the car shop, and I had driven back to the dorms in my new car.

As I reached the door I heard two raised voices. I opened the door hesitantly to reveal Abby and Niall arguing. “Niall, I don’t care what you say. Ed Sheeran is better than Coldplay!” Abby shouted and Niall simply rolled his eyes as I let out an internal laugh.

“No, just no Abby.” Niall replied, running a stressed hand through his hair.

“Izzy, come on, back me up on this.” Abby called.

“Sorry Niall, but it’s Ed Sheeran all the way.” I told them and Abby grinned triumphantly.

“See?” Abby told him and Niall shook his head, standing up from the bed.

“I’ve gotta go, but I’ll see you later Abby, bye Izzy.” Niall said, giving Abby and I a quick hug before walking out of the door.

Abby looked at the door longingly for a couple of seconds, then turned around and pulled out her laptop. I stared at her expectantly as she eventually looked up to meet my eyes. “What?” she asked and I smiled at her knowingly.

“How long?” I asked Abby as I sat down on my bed. Abby pretended to not know what I was talking about as she knotted her eyebrows together. “How long have you been seeing Niall?” I asked and Abby’s eyes widened before she looked down at her computer screen.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She replied trying to keep a straight face, but the blush rising up her cheeks and her inability to look me in the eyes gave her away.

“Oh come on, stop with all of the b.s. and tell me!” I pushed and she sighed, pushing her laptop away.

“A couple of weeks… But please don’t tell anyone, we haven’t told anyone else yet.” Abby replied and I smiled, batting my eyelashes.

“Nothing goes past me.” I joked and Abby laughed a little.

“So what did you do today?”

“I got a car!” I replied and a smile broke onto Abby’s face.

“Really? What type?”

“A golf.”

“All right Miss Fancy.” Abby joked and I laughed with her, all thoughts of Harry and his betrayal long forgotten.

“Wanna take it for a test run?”