Set Sail

dougy style

NAT ☆ FADER


I had a few reasons to not look forward to going to James’ BBQ last night.

For one, Josh. Not that I had dreaded seeing him per say, but since our sexually charged encounter a week ago, I had been feeling a bit uh, restless - perhaps the best way to put it. But when I saw him that night, things were fine. Actually, they were flirty and fun and talking to Josh always put me in a happy mood even if I had been blushing half the time. But it was a situation I could deal with. More than deal with. It was good.

Secondly but also lastly was Georgia and Colton. Seeing them was okay. Well, it was good with Colton because Colton and I have always been good. In fact, our friendship strengthened after the shit with Georgia happened which was weird, since Colton has always been respective and encouraging of our friendship. For James’ sake, I had acknowledged Georgia with a simple nod – which was a lot more than what I was willing to do but again, it wasn’t for me. When James told all of us off for being barely shitty with each other, or rather, not being more civil than he hoped we would be, I felt a little bad at my actions but again, this didn’t put a damper on my evening like it usually would have.

I had anticipated the reasons to not look forward to coming to James’ as being the biggest obstacles I would have to face that night. But apparently, there was something else in store for me and to say it was traumatising would be the biggest understatement of the fucking century.

It had happened after I was talking to Mick and Josh, where the boys decided they wanted to play beer pong. I knew that if I was going to play, I would need to go to the bathroom first as to not break the seal, so I decided to do just that. As far as I could see, everyone was outside, having a good time, having a laugh, enjoying themselves. So it would just be me in the bathroom, able to take cute drunk selfies while I sat on the toilet and realise how drunk I really was.

What I saw however was much, much worse.

“C’mon Nat,” Mick says, nudging me gently out of my reverie. We’re at Gloria Jeans, doing the usual morning after recovery sesh from a night out. “What happened after you went to go piss?”

Instead of answering, I take a sip of Mick’s black coffee with his usual three sugars and make a face as it gently trickles down my throat. It’s not hot, just too sugary for my liking. Guess I’ll be sticking to my drink of choice: a green tea. It’s great for detoxing and I’m hoping to detox the memories of last night. Well, some of them.

“Alright,” I start. “I’m only saying this once. And you have to promise not to tell James. It’s not my place to say anything, and honestly, I don’t want to know or see his reaction if he ever found out.”

Mick nods and places his hand up mockingly. “Scout’s honour.”

I close my eyes and begin to recount the tale of the most horrifying thing you could ever walk in on, of all time.

When I’d heard noises from the bathroom, I didn’t think much of it. My drunk self and my brain weren’t processing things at the same time, so while I had guessed someone was in there, I wasn’t about to realise that there may be a couple in there or that the room was occupied. Or most importantly, who the voice was. All I knew was that I had to pee and if I didn’t go soon, I was on the verge of wetting myself.

With no hesitation, I swung the door open and found a man, with no shirt on but pants on or rather, down, holding a woman’s ass to his position, thrusting back and forth. To be honest, seeing this would have been okay if it was Georgia and Colton. Or Mick and some girl he’d met at the party. Anyone. Anyone would have been better than Jackie and my fucking dad fucking and holy shit I saw Jackie naked and holy fuck did I just see my dad’s peepee and with that realisation, froze like a deer in headlights until dad saw me and screamed and that was when I had shut the door and ran down the stairs, James catching me on the way down.

Everyone always thought I was dramatic and usually it was for good reason, but not this time.

“Jesus fucking Christ.” To my horror, Mick is laughing at my pain, at my misery, at my poor brain for witnessing such monstrosities. “Did you see your dad’s dong?”

“Mick!” I shout, forgetting that we’re in a coffee shop and that people will look my way, which they do, but I ignore them since I’m much more concerned over the fact that I had to relive what I just told Mick. “I fucking left before my eyes were scarred with more.”

“Now it makes sense to why your dad’s always hanging with Jackie,” Mick sips his coffee. “Good on him. Jackie’s hot. I admire his game.”

Since walking in on Dad, I’ve yet to speak to him or come home, for that matter. My first instinct was to ask Mick whether I could stay over at his and thankfully he was cool with it. There was no way I was going to go home after last night. “I have no idea if they’re just fucking –” I shudder. “Or actually you know, dating.”

Mick shrugs. “Could be either. Are you planning on going home tonight?”

“I don’t really want to but I need to shower,” I reply with a sigh. “And change into some fresh clothes. Thanks for letting me crash, by the way.”

“No issue. Speaking of traumatising events, seeing G and Colton was fun, huh?”

“Honestly, the thing with my dad trumped any residual feelings I had seeing G last night.” And it was true. After the incident, I’d mostly kept to myself and drunk, hanging around Mick as he was the only one I could be a mess with, no questions asked. I’d seen Josh a couple of times, but thankfully he’d left early as he had to drive Max somewhere in the morning. “How was it seeing Colton?”

Mick shrugs. He does this thing with his eyebrows where they crinkle slightly and I can tell this is Mick trying to pretend that when his friends ignore or are mad at him, it doesn’t bother him, but I know it does. But I know Mick like I know the back of my hand. “That look he was giving me, it wasn’t the greatest.”

For reference, the way Colton was looking at Mick – it was like Mick had shot him in leg or something. Not that I could blame Colton necessarily. I understood why he was upset – it was for the same reason I was at Georgia. “He is being a little harsh,” I say finally. “It’s been like what, almost a year?”

“I could say the same about you Nat,” Mick shoots back. Though I know he’s not saying it in a malicious way, it kinda feels like it is. “Don’t you think you’re being a little harsh?”

I cross my arms. “No.”

“We’ve been best friends for eight years and yet I still can’t figure out why you’re so mad at her,” Mick says in exasperation. “It’s not like she kissed Josh. That I would understand.”

I have my own reasons for being mad at Georgia, but it’s not something I can discuss with Mick – or with anyone, for that matter. Georgia knows why I’d be upset with her, and as long as she knows, that’s all that is important. It’s not something I wish to share with Mick either, so I give him a partial reason and hope it suffices.

“She could have kissed anyone and instead she chooses one of Colton’s best friends? That’s had his back since day one in year twelve? That faked being sick so he had time to finish off his assignment in class and nearly copped detention for it? Or when Colton covered for you every time you hit and quit some poor girl? You and Colton have been such good friends and for Georgia to do what she did. Well. It’s shitty. It’s a shitty thing to do.”

“You’re acting like I kissed her back,” Mick says finally. “I didn’t, you know that right?”

I soften. “I know. And I believe you. And her when she told me. But that doesn’t change what she did. How it tore the group apart.”

“Not the whole group,” Mick reminds me and I smile, grateful that throughout all of this, I still have Mick in my life.

♡♡♡


Mick offers to come in after he drops me off, and for a moment I’m debating on it. Most of me says no, that this is a family matter, but since he already knows and I can’t face my dad alone, I decide that I do need him there.

“Hey Mr. Fader,” Mick says cheerfully as we both enter the kitchen. Dad’s scrummaging through the fridge looking for something to eat no doubt, but stops immediately when he sees us. “Heard about you and Jackie. Nice work.”

Dad face pales and immediately turns to me. Before he opens his mouth to speak, I cut him off.

“I had to, Dad,” I explain hastily. I can’t really stand to look into his eyes at this moment in time, so I settle for his forehead. Better. “What I saw scarred me. Be glad I told Mick and not James.”

He closes his mouth and smiles sheepishly. “Would it help if I told you it wasn’t my idea?”

Mick snorts. “To fuck or to do it doggy?”

Mick!”

To my horror, Dad replies to him, but not before making a face. “The latter. Not that I’m complaining personally, it’s a great position and…” Seeing the horrified expression on my face, he stops. “Sorry honey.”

I cross my arms. “So what’s going on between you two anyways? Besides…that.”

“Well,” Dad starts. “I was planning to tell you when Jackie was ready, but seeing as the cat’s out of the bag now I may as well tell you. We’ve been seeing each other.”

Mick and I look at each other, mouths dropped. This is the last thing we expected. “For how long?”

“A year.”

“A year!” How could I not have noticed this? I turn to Mick. “Mick, you’ve been home. How come you didn’t notice this?”

Mick snorts. “Why the fuck would I be hanging around yours or James’ house for?”

He makes a good point. “Right. Sorry.” I turn back to Dad. “Is it serious?”

“They’re fucking in positions besides missionary,” Mick reminds me. God, I’m really regretting bringing Mick in with me now. “A woman at Jackie’s age doesn’t do doggy unless she’s in love. Right, Doug?” It’s kind of expected that my parents aren’t to be called by their first name, but apparently since Mick’s swearing in front of him too, it’s fine now. “Ha! Doug doing dougy style. Oh god, that’s fucking funny.”

“I am never inviting you to my house again,” I mutter, elbowing Mick in the ribs. He stops laughing immediately.

“I uh,” and for the first time, I see Dad blushing. I think the last time I saw his face this red besides the unfortunate incident was the time he had mangoes and forgot he had allergic reactions so his whole face broke out in hives and Mum and I had to rush him to the hospital. “I love her. She’s an incredible woman.”

Wow. I wasn’t expecting that either. “Does Mum know?”

He nods. “She was the first one I told.”

Not only am I still nursing a hangover but I’m forced to deal with this kind of information. Dad has a girlfriend. Dad’s in love. With James’ mum. If they get married, oh god. Although, I’ve always wanted siblings. And I’ve always thought James was annoying enough to be like a brother, if I had one. “Does James know?”

“No,” Dad shakes his head. “Jackie wants to tell him and Joe in her own time, so if you could respect that, it would be best.”

Mick and I nod. “Dad, I need to leave because the presence of you still freaks me out but uh, I’m happy for you.” And it’s true. Dad hasn’t had the best luck with women and I did say once that him and Jackie would work well together. She would keep him on his toes. And he in return would provide a stable, loving environment. It’s what he’s done for me for the last twenty-two years. I smile. “Honestly. I really hope it works out between you two.”

Dad smiles. “Thanks honey. When my presence doesn’t freak you out, we should go out for dinner. Catch me up with everything that’s been happening.”

“Only after years of intensive therapy will I be able to have dinner with you again.”

Both Mick and Dad snort. “Glad to see you being dramatic hasn’t changed, honey.”
♠ ♠ ♠
are you shook bc i am tbh