Status: Active

Love Has Perfect Timing

Chapter 2

was on my way to work at my desk job in an office that takes care of all the "paperwork" for an insurance company for large corporations...are you asleep yet?
Yes, my job is boring. But, I'm good at it so it's easy for me.
I get into the building and flash my badge to Sandy, who is the receptionist. She smiled and nodded politely because she was on the phone.
I made my way over to the elevators and pushed the up button.
I got in and a few other people who I recognize from the building but don't know their names, all piled in with me. We all politely half smile and press the button for the floor that we need to go to,
I stood making sure not to make eye contact with any one in the elevator.
I was the second to last stop so I hurried out as the doors opened for me to not make the last person have to wait longer to get to their floor.
The doors closed behind me as I made my way to my desk, in a cubicle that I don't share with anyone.

You can say that I try to avoid social interaction but it's not because I'm awkward or anything, I just find conversations about how are you or what'd you do this weekend meaningless.
No one actually cares how I'm doing or if I had a good weekend. They're either just trying to be nice or just trying to hear gossip to add drama to their boring life. I avoid that at all costs.
I sat down at my desk and immediately started my work for the day.

Hours seem like minutes on Mondays because there is so much work that piles up over the weekend. So time flies because I'm so busy.
As I pulled out my lunch box to eat the salad I made for myself I got a text from a friend. I don't use my phone while I'm working so I check it on my breaks.
The text was from Michelle. She is a friend that I've known for years. We worked together a while back but she couldn't handle how boring it was so she moved on try something else.

"Hey, girl! I'm trying to plan a getaway. I have a week reserved at a hotel in L A and I'm seeing if anyone is able to join me. It'll be the 26th-the 4th. Let me know if you can get the time off."

I thought about it and immediately knew I wasn't going to go. I have too much work to do. It's not practical. I can't just take a week off when I have to make a car and mortgage payment that week. I can't just waste money on a trip across the country.

I live in upstate New York. I've never been to California but I don't think it's a good idea to just drop my life for a quick trip to the other side of the country.

I replied, "Thanks for the invite, sounds like fun but I don't think that week will work for me. Have fun!"

I put my phone down and began to eat my salad. My phone buzzed almost immediately. I put my fork down and picked up my phone again.

"Aw, are you sure? Do you have something else going on that week?"

I knew I had to be careful of how I answered because I didn't want her to think that I didn't want to go on a trip with her and I also didn't want her to talk me into it.

"Work had been crazy lately and taking a week off so soon without having someone to take my work will make it hard on everyone in my department."

I was hoping that she'd be satisfied with that answer. I was wrong,

My phone buzzed repeatedly, she was calling me.

I sighed and answered, "Hi, Michelle."

"Yeah, so you remember that I worked there right?" I did forget for a second, uh oh.

"Um, yeah. Of course." I said hesitantly.

"Well, I know that there are more than enough people to cover your work for a week," She said knowingly.

I started to panic and try to come up with a better reason.

"Yeah, but a few people have quit from my department and I'm one of of the only people who does the processing now and I don't want to leave them high and dry."

"Seriously, they'll survive without you. Come on, it'll be so much fun and you haven't taken a vacation in years. You must have some vacation time stocked up."

She was right. They could survive a week without me and I had several weeks of vacation time saved up.

"I don't know, it just doesn't seem practical."

"Uh, seriously Caylee. You need a vacation. You don't even realize how much you need one. And if you still refuse I'll just invokee that favor you owe."

I forgot about that. She helped me move into my new house. It was a big purchase for me and I was totally freaking out but she was there to help me pack and unpack and organize and decorate. I told her that i owed her anything she needed.

"Uh, fine." I said defeated, "Let me see if my boss will give me that week off."

"Yes! I can't wait. It's going to be an amazing trip. Jess and Amy are coming too." Jess and Amy were two of our good friends.

"Alright, I'll go talk to my boss now."

"Great, I'll look at flights now and I'll send you the info."

"Okay, thanks. And I'll let you know what my boss says."

"Sounds good! I'll see you soon!"

"Yeah, see ya!"

And with that I hung up and began to eat my salad again.
My boss had a lunch meeting so I had to wait until the end of the day to talk to him,
It was hard for me to concentrate on my work. I thought that I might not meet with him and just tell Michelle that my boss said no but I knew that she wouldn't let it go. So, fifteen minutes before the end of the day I walked to my bosses office.
His door was shut. I knocked quietly hoping he wouldn't hear it but I hear him say, "Come in."
I opened the door slowly and he waved me to a chair. He was vigorously typing something and I just sat and waited. After about thirty seconds he stopped typing and turned to me.
"Hi Caylee, What can I do for you?"
I nervously rubbed my hands together. I don't know why I felt so nervous but I was afraid to ask him.
I cleared my throat, "Hi Mr. Waines, I was hoping to talk to you about needing a week off at the end of the month." I said as quiet as a mouse.
He pulled out a calendar where he keeps track of everyone's vacations.
"What week did you need to take off?" He said looking down at his calendar.
"I'll be leaving Saturday the 28th so Monday the 30th through Friday the 3rd." I said trying to do the math in my head.
He continued to look at the calendar.
"Yeah, I can mark that down for you. You're going away for Halloween?" he asked and looked up at me.
I thought about it, "Yeah, I guess so. I honestly didn't realize it but it looks that way," He nodded,
"Alright, I've got you down for that week." He scrunched his eyebrows. "I think this is the first time I wrote you down for vacation time. Enjoy your time off." He said with a smile.
I smiled back, "Thanks, I'll try."
He stood up and I followed his lead. "Where are you planning on going?" He asked curiously.
"My friend is planning a girls trip to California and I've never been so I'm hoping it'll be a good time." I said as I got excited about the trip for the first time.
He walked towards the door, "Oh, I've been a few times. It's beautiful. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself."
He opened the door to his office. "Thanks, I'll have a good time."
"You will and now you get to go home." I looked up at the clock. It was 4:30.
"Yes, thank you again. Have a good night." I said as I stepped through the open door.
"You too" he said as he waved and closed the door behind me.
That was easier than I thought it would be. I made my way back to my desk and turned off my computer.
I grabbed my things and headed down the elevator and out the door to my car,
I drove home with a new excitement. I hadn't felt like this in a long time,
I pulled into my driveway and remembered that I should text MIchelle to let her know what my boss said.

"I guess I'm coming." I texted.

"SWEET! This is going to be a week to remember. I'll come over and help you pack before we go. I want to make sure you remember to pack you're skimpy bikini,"

I chuckled as I read it. "LOL, I can handle my own packing."

"I'm still gonna check to make sure you don't pack your boring work clothes,"

"Fine" I texted back. I knew she was serious.

"Good ;)" She replied.

I walked into my house shaking my head. What did I get myself into?!