Just Business

eight.

When I got to the office this morning my boss was finding every way possible to shatter my mood and give me no choice to walk back out the front door and go home. I was already worried about what was going on at home with my Mom, I didn’t need him to make it worse.

About an hour later the front receptionist comes with a huge flower vase filled with all sorts of assorted flowers.

“These came for you Eloise.” She said with a smile setting them down on my desk and walked away.
A beautiful arrangement of red roses with a card popping out the top. I took the card from the top and opened it up.

Eloise,
I’m sorry if I offended you in any way, that truly was not my intention what so ever. Please, give me a second chance to explain myself tonight over dinner? At Chateau DePount tonight at seven. If you decide not to come, that’s fine. Hopefully I will see you tonight.
-Max

I sighed deeply and dropped the card on my desk and starred at the flowers. What if I did take the job? Would I keep my job or would I be working with Max on a daily basis? I opened my laptop googled Maxwell Bennet and his family’s company page popped up along with news articles such as,
“Billionare Tycoon Maxwell Bennett stumbles out of night club in drunken fit and assaults photographer.”

I rolled my eyes and clicked on the company page and looked up the office number picking up my phone dialing the number. It rang 3 times before someone answered.

“Good Afternoon Mr. Bennett’s office?” a woman said.

“Hi, I’m looking for Maxwell Bennett is he available?” I said.

“Who’s calling please?” she asked.

“Eloise St. Claire.”

“Please hold Ms. St Clare.”

I was put on hold and all I heard was that cliché elevator music that you always heard in the movies. My hands began to shake then and the music stopped and someone picked up.

“Eloise?” he said into the phone.

“Hey, I got your flowers. Thank you I guess." I said.

“You’re more than welcome. I’m really sorry again.”

“It’s okay. I just want you to know I’ll meet you tonight for dinner and we can talk.”

“Okay great, do you want my driver to pick you up?” he asked.

“No, it’s fine. I can get there myself thanks.”

“Okay that’s fine. I’ll see you tonight at 7 then.”

“Okay.”

Then I hung up the phone quick and took a deep breath. I didn’t know how to react to this situation. I was freaking out because I had this wall up and I didn’t want him to think that he could break it down. I just kept telling myself to keep calm and everything be okay, It’s just some extra money in my pocket.

I looked over at the clock and ran my hands through my hair. I’m so screwed. I went into the bathroom and sat in there for about twenty minutes and said I was sick, an excuse to get me out of the office to do some work from home.

I put the card into my bag along with my computer and headed home to at least figure out what I was going to wear.

****

I wound up settling for a knee length cocktail dress with the pair of black red bottoms my sisters and brother had gotten me for a graduation gift. I didn’t want him to think it was a date, but Chateau DePount is a high class place so if I showed up under-dressed, I would probably be embarrassed.

I drove down to the restaurant and gave the valet my keys and walked inside the restaurant. I peered in the restaurant and saw him sitting there with a glass of red wine in front of him looking at his watch.

“Can I help you miss?” the hostess said with a smile.

“Oh, um I’m with Maxwell Bennett.” I said pointing to him inside.

“Ah, yes. Eloise right? He’s expecting you Follow me please.”

She led me inside past the tables of other people and I caught a few eyes staring at me until we got up to the table. He came dressed in his work clothes a blue and white stripped dress shirt dark navy pants and brown shoes. Thank god I decided on this dress.

He looked up and smiled standing and pulling my chair out for me.

“Thanks.”

Was he already trying to butter me up? What does he want from me?

He sat back down and looked over at me. “You look great.”

“Well this sure isn’t BurgerFi that’s for sure.” I said picking up my menu.

The waiter had come over poured me a glass of wine followed by a glass of water then walked away letting us know he would be back to collect our order.

“So, I’m sure you have a lot of questions.” He said.

“Yeah actually I do. What is it exactly do you want?” I said folding my hands in front of me.

“Well, I want to offer you a job Eloise.” He went into his jacket pocket pulling out a folder and handing it to me.

I took it opening it and briefly read the paper inside.

Employment Contract
Ms. Eloise St. Claire
June 2017


“Is this a contract?” I asked.

He nodded sipped his wine. “Yup it will be a fully professional work contract. I promise you, I wouldn’t do anything that would put you in any sort of harm.”

I read it thoroughly even more and looked up at him. “I have a few questions.” I say.

“Okay, go ahead.”

“So, this is strictly professional, right? Like, I don’t have to anything you know.”

“No, I wouldn’t ask that of you. Besides, work is very important right now and I just want to make sure I have someone I can rely on to help.”

I thought about it for a good while, I could get some real money in for my mom’s bills, and I can help Dad pay some of the utilities bill.. and I need to catch up for rent.
"Explain how pay works." I asked curiously.

"My family hosts and attends different events around the city, I travel a lot and I need I need the extra help when i'm home and when i'm away- You'll attend dinners and parties, galas and you'll get paid. Simple."
I was quiet for a minute and stared at the contract for a minute. It doesn't seem that bad I thought. Eloise, you could quit your job and do this full time. But what happens when I don't want to do this anymore, what if he gets tired of me? I'll need a job. It took me so long just to get the one I have now.

“So, you’re like a Sugar Daddy?” I asked.

He choked a little on his wine and laughed. “Is that what you think of me?”

I shrugged a little embarrassed at my question.

“Look, Eloise. I promise I have no intentions of making you think this a game. I don’t want you to feel like you have to do this either, read it over and come down to my office. I left a temporary guest badge to get past the guard.”

I thought about it for a good while, I could get some real money in for my mom’s bills, and I can help Dad pay some of the utilities bill.. and I need to catch up for rent.

The whole idea sounds insane. Really really insane, but to help my family- as desperate as it sounded, I would do anything.