Just Business

nine.

The next morning, I was pacing the kitchen staring at the manila envelope sitting on my island. I was torn honestly, I needed the extra cash bad and work was barely cutting it. I needed advice but I didn’t know who to call.

I didn’t want to ask Helen or Aria, they would freak out on me. Definitely not Ethan he would rat me out in a second to Dad.

Then there were my sisters.

Ginny and Sav can’t keep a secret for shit, not to mention instigators.

So lastly was Alex, she was the oldest out of all of us, not to mention really wise.

I picked up the phone and dialed her. It rang three times before she answered.

“Hey there sissy long time no speak.” She said chipper.

“Why are you so happy?” I asked. “It’s 9:00 am.”

She chuckled into the phone, “You forget I have a toddler and a five-month-old my day started about four hours ago- Plus, I already had my fix of coffee.”

“Fair enough, so I need some advice.” I say pouring a bowl of cereal.

“What did you do?” she asks.

Alex always knew when something was up. She was the one with the brains around here and always knew when we needed to talk about something. She was also nosey as hell, but knew how to keep a secret.

“Okay, go ahead.”

“So, I’m thinking about taking up this job. But, I don’t know if I should.”

“Explain.”

“So, I was offered a job. And the pay is amazing, like amazing that I wouldn’t have to work at my office anymore. I could be able to live and still be able to send home money for momma and daddy.”

“You’re rambling honey, get to the point. What type of job. Please don’t say porn.” She said.
I rolled my eyes and opened the manila envelope up. “No, listen this guy I met, rich guy. He offered me a job basically to be some arm candy at events.”

“So basically, he’s paying you to go out on dates with him? Damn El you have a sugar Daddy? I’m jealous.”

“Alex, he wrote up this contract and everything. It’s not like he wants to sleep with me. What do you think?”

“Eloise, if you feel like you can handle it, go for it. I promise I won’t tell anyone. Go and do one night and see how it goes. Is he cute?”

“He’s attractive yes. I’ll send you pics. I’m going to meet him at his office to finish this paperwork.” I said.

She laughed and I could hear the kids in the background with the TV blasting.

“How are my babies?” I asked.

“Asher is bad as hell, as usual. Tallulah has some teeth coming in, crabby as ever. But they’re fine.”
“Give them kisses for me.”

*****

I got showered and dressed and headed down to my office. I told my boss I was taking a leave of absence, that there was just a lot personally going on and I needed some time for my family. I probably wouldn’t have a job to come back to if this didn’t pan out, I was on my boss’s shit list already most likely but that didn’t bother me.

After that I headed down to Max’s office and showed the woman at the desk the badge he gave me and got buzzed in.

I rode the elevator up to the top floor and stepped out into the hallway. The brunette at the desk smiled at me as I approached the desk.

“Hello Ms. St. Claire, Mr. Bennett will be right with you.”

The brunette picked up the phone and it rang two times before she spoke. Two minutes later, Max came out dressed in blue dress pants, a white dress shirt and a matching tie.

He looked really good, I thought to myself.

“Thank you Alison, Come in Eloise.”

I went in and he closed the door behind him and he went and leaned against his desk.
“I’ll do it.” I said handing him the envelope. He took it and smiled and set it down next to him.

“Are you sure this is what you want?”

It isn’t exactly what I wanted honestly, we both knew it. He just didn’t want to tell me otherwise. So, I lied. As long as the money came in, I didn’t care.

“Sure.” I said.

I sat in his office for what seemed like forever just going over what this job would be like. There would be traveling involved- Hel, the farthest I’ve ever gone was on a trip to Puerto Rico and that is still not even leaving the country. His family hosted a lot of parties and Galas for the company, which meant I had to attend as well.

“So, I’ll be your date to every event?” I asked.

He nodded crossing his arms over his chest. “Yeah pretty much.”

“Tell me about your family.” I asked.

He was quiet for a second, he looked like he didn’t want to talk about his family- like it bothered him. I felt my cheeks turn red with embarrassment for asking.

“Sorry, you don’t have to.” I said

“No no, it’s fine. We just don’t get along that’s all, well my parents at least. My siblings I can tolerate.”

Family feud is just what I needed to be involved in. I had enough to worry about myself.

“They just don’t understand why I’m the way I am.” He said with a devilish grin.

I rolled my eyes a little and he laughed. “What about you? What’s your story Ms. St. Claire?”

“I was born and raised in Waco, Texas. I have three sisters and a brother and a niece and nephew. Two of my siblings are engaged, one will be married before Christmas.”

“Sounds like a big family, I like that and that southern twang you have.” He said with a smile.

Suddenly his phone on the desk rang and he picked it up. “Yes? Shoot alright I’ll be in shortly.” Then he hung it up.

“I have to run, Dads here for a meeting for our next gala. Can I see you later if you’re not too busy?” He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and nodded gathering my belongings. He walked me to the door and opened it for me.

“Thanks for coming by, I’ll call you.”

As I walked down the hall to the elevator I thought about how nice he was being and not the persistent jerk when I first met him. Maybe this was a whole side of him that was miss-understood and I was just being a complete asshole, or he was toying with my brain to try and get me to fall into his lap.
Either way, my guard was up, and I had to remind myself that I’m only doing this for the money and nothing else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long since I updated, this is the first full weekend I've had off in along time. Plus me having the flu didn't help either. Enjoy love bugs ! :)