Status: It's been too long, friends....

Him and I

We Got That Love

James had a couple days off for Christmas and he and Alex elected to spend them together in Vegas and enjoyed a low key holiday together since the team’s off week was only two weeks after that. A few of the other guys stayed in town as well so they all ended up having Christmas dinner together.

For their off week in early January they jetted off to Cabo with a group of the guys and their significant others. They rented a boat to take them out one day and spent the rest at the resort relaxing at the pool. Even though they were with a group, James still managed to pull together a romantic dinner one night just for the two of them.

When they came back from the break there was one home game and then a four game road trip that included stops in Nashville and Tampa. Alex flew out to Nashville the morning after their first game back, an overtime loss to Edmonton, to spend time with Kathryn at For Goodness Cakes. She would stay in Nashville for three days before flying to Tampa. The all star game would be the following weekend and Alex had thought about staying in Tampa until then but the Islanders played in Vegas the day before the all star break so instead she flew back to Vegas for that game and then planned to fly with James and John back to Tampa. She was going to stay for a week in Tampa after that.

Alex went alone to the hotel that the Islanders were staying at and waited in the lobby for John. When she saw him step off the elevator, he had Cal Clutterbuck in tow.

“Hi!” Alex waved as they approached. She hugged Cal quickly and then squeezed John tightly.

“It’s good to see you again, Alex,” Cal smiled. “When are you coming back to find Tavares a woman?”

She laughed. “Whenever he invites me.”

“And risk raising the ire of your boyfriend again? Pass,” John said.

“He didn’t try to murder Pekka when we were in Nashville despite the fact that he was very obviously flirting with me so there’s that.”

“Yeah, I still think I’m going to take the pass on you ever visiting me again.”

Cal laughed. “They got back together, it all worked out, it’s fine for her to visit again. And if Johnny won’t let you visit him, well, you’re welcome to visit me and my wife and our girls.”

Alex’s eyes lit up. “You have daughters?”

Cal smiled. “Willow and Harper. Hang on,” he said, pulling his phone from his pocket. He looked through his photos and showed one from Christmas to her.

Alex cooed. “They’re adorable, Cal. Can I come teach them to bake?”

“I don’t know how helpful they’ll be but I know they would enjoy that.”

John groaned. “James is gonna kill me.”

“No, that will happen on Saturday,” Alex smirked.

“Alex, what are you planning?”

“Nothing!” She sing songed. “But I mean, you are the one who bought me your jersey.”

“Yeah, and I happen to know you also have Steven and PK’s jerseys.”

“That I do. Don’t I have the nicest friends, Cal?”

“The nicest,” he winked.

“Come on, Johnny,” Alex teased. “I promised you dinner and well, we all know James is not at home starting said meal.”

Alex made the drive just outside of Las Vegas to the modest house she and James had found together. It was nowhere near as big as his Nashville house but it was still a very nice one story house with a pool and a garage.

“James! I’m back!” She called out as she let John into the house.

He rounded the corner with a grin. “Hey, man,” he said, walking straight to John and pulling him into a hug. “Thank you for taking care of her,” he said lowly. “I don’t think anyone else would have done what you did.”

“You’re welcome,” John replied. “But you don’t have to thank me. I would have done it for my sisters and Alex is like a sister to me.”

“I know. You’re good people, Tavares.”

Alex grinned as James slapped him in the back as he stepped back. “So I can wear my Islanders jersey tomorrow night?” She asked.

“No!” James and John both exclaimed.

“Alright, fine, I’ll wear my Neal jersey, sheesh,” she winked. “I’m gonna start dinner. Take John on the grand tour, babe.”

“Come on, Tavares, let me show you around.”

“Did you buy this place?” John asked as he took his shoes off.

“Nah, we’re renting. Didn’t know what might happen to me this season so we didn’t think buying was a good plan. We’ll see what happens at the end of the year and then decide whether we keep renting or buy something.”

“Yeah, that makes sense.”

John followed James into the living room and then quickly pointed out the three bedrooms and the three bathrooms. They passed through the kitchen and outside.

“Wow,” John breathed out as he took in the view and the setting sun. “This is pretty incredible.”

“This is why Alex and I picked this house. And it came furnished with all the appliances which was a huge plus.”

John walked around the covered patio to the pool and stooped down to run his fingers in the water. “And there’s a barbecue too?”

James chuckled. “They don’t have houses like this on Long Island?”

“Not like this.”

James waved him over towards some chairs on the patio. “You excited for all star weekend?”

“Yeah, it should be fun. Are you guys staying at Steven’s place?”

“Yeah, Alex insisted. You?”

“Yep. Subby too.”

“Great, everyone she likes better than me all under one roof.”

“Don’t act like you hate it; we all know you’d do anything Alex asked.”

“Just keep her distracted all weekend so Peks can’t flirt with her any and we’ll all it even.”

John laughed. “Is that all? Done and done.”

~*~*~


“What smells so good?” Steven asked as he entered his kitchen two nights later. He wrapped an arm around Alex and hugged her, kissing the top of her head.

Following the Knights loss to the Islanders the night before, Alex, James, and John had flown to Tampa where Steven had picked them up when they had arrived at the airport. The guys had been gone most of the day doing media interviews which Alex had happily followed along with on social media since some of them involved puppies.

“It’s called dinner, Steven. Has anyone ever made that in your house before?” she teased him.

“Nothing that has smelled this good.”

“Well we have a trained chef in our presence.”

Camryn Seguin turned towards Steven and smiled. Cam had had her baby just before Thanksgiving and her parents were keeping the little girl for the weekend so she could get get away with Tyler for some adult only time. Alex had called her to ask if she wanted to hang out for the weekend once the teams had been announced and they had spent the day together enjoying Tampa.

“Thanks for letting me hang at your house today, Steven. And for letting Ty and I crash dinner with you guys.”

“Happy to have you. Segs, not so much.”

“Whatever, Stammer. You’re just jealous of my boyish good looks,” Tyler said as he entered the room and hopped up on the counter.

Alex nudged Camryn with a knowing look and then turned to Tyler. “Would you be opposed to just sitting there with your shirt off?” Alex asked.

“Alexandra Gates!” James yelled as he followed Tyler into the room. “Jesus! Can you just stick to harassing Tavares?”

Alex and Camryn burst out laughing. “Steven, you’re my witness for the next time he gets upset about me liking John the best.”

“Oh, don’t think I will ever let him forget this moment,” Steven chuckled. “Ever.”

“I think those were the exact words you predicted he’d say,” Cam giggled.

“He makes it so easy,” Alex replied.

James frowned. “Why do you enjoy tormenting me?”

“Because I love the forlorn puppy dog look you get on your face every time I do. Makes me love you more every time,” she answered him.

John and PK entered then and immediately Alex bounded over to hug PK before slinging an arm around John’s middle and hugging him. He put a casual arm around her shoulder.

“Hey, what smells so good?” John asked.

“Cam is teaching me to make chicken and bacon pasta with spinach and tomato in a garlic cream sauce,” Alex told him, turning her face to peer up at him.

“And you’re going to waste it by cooking for Nealer?”

She shrugged. “Somebody has to care for him.”

“You could do better.”

“I know; PK is still on the market after all,” she smirked.

John laughed and hugged Alex to him. “You know, when James first introduced you to us, I didn't understand how he didn’t see it. When he eventually got his shit together and went after you, I thought it was about time. I’m just glad he actually managed to get you to date him.”

“He could’ve just lived with it, let me and Pekka fizzle out and then you could have mended my broken heart though.”

“What makes you think I’m not still waiting to do that? He could mess up again and I might not be so nice next time he does,” he replied with a smirk

James tugged Alex away from him and frowned deeply. “I hate all of you,” he said, looking from John to PK to Steven. “Stop encouraging her.”

“You love us,” Steven smiled.

“Love is a strong word. More like tolerate.”

“I love you guys,” Alex spoke up.

“We love you better than Nealer,” PK told her.

“Remember that time we talked about all four of you not doing exactly this? I mean, for God’s sake, Camryn and Tyler are guests. They don’t need to hear about how Alex likes John the best,” James added.

John winked at Alex and she giggled and James groaned. “You’re all the worst. Go over there and flirt with Camryn’s husband please,” James said, nudging her towards Tyler.

|*~*~*


Tyler and Camryn left a short time after they finished dinner and John dragged PK with him to help clean up the kitchen and load the dishwasher, leaving Steven and James on the deck with Alex, talking about the week she was going to spend in Tampa after the all star game.

“You know if someone tries to mug her again you have to chase and tackle the guy, right?” James asked as they lounged in Adirondack chairs, beers in hand.

“And risk my beautiful face?” Steven said in mock horror.

Alex snorted. “Don’t worry, Steven; I’ll protect you.”

“See, Nealer? She’s got this.”

James rolled his eyes. “My girlfriend is too good for you.”

“She’s too good for you.”

“Don’t I know it.” Alex reached over and squeezed his hand.

“Love you,” she smiled.

"Love you," he grinned.

"You two make me sick," Steven grumbled.

"Liar," Alex said to him. "It gives you hope."

"Hope?"

"Yeah, hope. Hope that there's a girl out there crazy enough to fall in love with you so you can have this too."

"I mean, that is why I'm having you visit for a week."

"You're such a dork....but I love you despite of that."

"Hear that, Nealer? She loves me."

"So? She loves Tavares and Subby too. You're no big deal in the grand scheme of things."

"You say that now but just wait until she spends a week with me and I parade around shirtless."

James rolled his eyes. “Your not her type.”

Steven scoffed. “I’m every woman’s type.”

“Your name isn’t John Tavares,” he shot back with a smirk. “Plus you don’t have tattoos and I happen to know that’s a particular weakness for her.”

“Guilty as charged,” Alex grinned.

“So parade all you want, Stammer, but I’m not worried. I’ve got her heart, just like she has mine.”

Steven grumbled to himself as PK joined them.

“Whats wrong with him?” PK asked.

“James ruined his dreams,” Alex giggled.

“Did you find someone for Tavares?” Steven asked. “I need to know my odds for this week.”

“Find what for me?” John’s voice came from behind them. He took the chair Alex had vacated as PK had taken the one across from him beside Steven in their circle.

“A girlfriend,” Steven told him. John blushed and Steven started to crow loudly. “There’s a girl?!” He shouted. “What the fuck, Johnny? Why didn’t you tell us?”

“There isn’t anything to tell,” he started sheepishly.

“Who is she?” PK asked, leaning forward.

“I’m telling you, there is no one.”

“Bullshit!” Steven exclaimed. “You fucking blushed.”

Alex reached across and squeezed John’s arm. “Nothing still?”

He shook his head and sighed. “How come Alex knows and we don’t?” Steven demanded. “I bet Nealer knows.”

“You’d be wrong,” James laughed. “Alex doesn’t tell me anything John tells her and she damn sure wouldn’t give me ammunition about his love life. I bet she even knows his plan for when he becomes a free agent at the end of the season.”

“All true statements,” Alex agreed.

“Wait, you know what you’re gonna do in free agency?” Steven asked. “Tell us!”

“I know what I’d like to happen. And if it doesn’t work out I have a backup plan.”

“Of course you do.”

“And you wonder why he doesn’t talk to you about girls,” Alex said.

“He only tells you because you are a girl.”

“And because they’re best friends,” James added. “Fucking Tavares,” he muttered, shaking his head.

The others laughed. “Come on, John; tell us about the girl,” PK prodded.

“Whatever happened with the maid that cleaned your house last summer?” James asked.

“The Islanders hired her to produce content for the website and social media,” John replied. Jaws dropped on the other three men as they stared at John in silence. He picked at the label on his beer bottle. “So, yeah,” he said.

“She works for the team?” Steven said.

John nodded. “I tried to talk to her but it didn’t go very smoothly.”

“Well duh, of course not. You’re not smooth.”

“Fuck you, Stammer.”

“Is she here this weekend?” James asked. “I mean, they sent someone to do that stuff for the team, right? I know our guy followed me and Flower around all day today.”

“Yeah, she’s here and you’re not allowed to talk to her, Alex.”

She folded her arms across her chest and pouted. “You should let me talk to her, John. It could be good.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“Fine.”

“That’s it? She’s giving in?” PK asked James.

“Somehow I doubt it,” he answered.

Alex grinned. “I mean, he never said I couldn’t convince PK to talk to her. He’s one charming guy after all.”