Status: It's been too long, friends....

Him and I

I'd Never Lie

Except for the playoffs the season before, Alex had never traveled to a road game to support James. When the schedule came out though and Vegas would open on the road in Dallas, she had thought about going but was undecided since James was still recovering from surgery on his hand. As the season drew near, and with James’s return unclear as his recovery was taking a bit more time than expected, she had mostly decided to stay in Vegas and watch on tv. She had plans to go visit her family for a few days the week before Thanksgiving in November anyway so she knew they wouldn't be disappointed if she didn't make the trip out for this.

James was finally cleared to practice fully with the team in the days leading up to the first game of the regular season after missing all of the preseason. He was getting frustrated with his slow recovery and antsy to get out and skate with his teammates. The day before their first regular season game, James came home from practice with a huge smile on his face. He found Alex reading a book on their deck and slid open the glass door.

“I'm playing tomorrow,” he announced.

Alex squealed and ran out of her chair to him, throwing her arms around his neck and squeezing him tightly. “You're playing? James! That's so great!”

“Will you go, to Dallas I mean? Please?”

“Of course I will. I can crash at my parents, I know they won't mind.”

“I got you something. Hang on a second.” He disappeared just inside the door and stepped back out with a jersey in his hands. He held it out to her and she smiled, hugging him fiercely.

“I love it,” she whispered as she stepped back, holding the women's cut Golden Knights jersey up to her chest. “And I always look good when you brand me,” she teased him as she flipped it around to run her fingers across his last name stitched onto the back.

“Gotta make sure everyone knows what's mine. Especially that Jamie Benn.”

Alex laughed. “You know, there are other ways to let people know that.”

“Like a ring?”

She blushed. “I was just teasing...”

“I don't hate the idea of marking you with a ring.”

“You don't?”

He shook his head. “It freaks me out a little, thinking about that step, but I know I always want you in my life.”

“It freaks me out a little too. People ask me when you're going to but it's too soon, isn't it? I mean, I know we've known each other for a long time but this, us, this is still new.”

“I stole you from my teammate.”

“I let you. And there's so much going on in our lives. You're starting over with a new team, there's uncertainty about what will happen this year...”

“When the times right though,” James said.

She smiled. “You'll know and I'll say yes.”

~*~*~


“Alex!” Camryn called out. “Hi!”

Alex smiled as she carefully made her way down the row in American Airlines Center to join Camryn Seguin the next night.

“Hi, Cam, how are you?” she greeted her, hugging the other woman.

“Besides being ridiculously pregnant and ready to pop? Pretty great actually. How’s Vegas?”

“Different, but nice.”

“Oh, this is Avery. Avery, this is Alex. We met this summer at one of Ty’s charity softball games. She’s a born and bred Dallas girl like me.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” Avery said, leaning past Camryn to shake hands with Alex.

“It’s nice to meet you too. Cam says you work for the team?”

“Stats and analytics. But I’m taking tonight off for Jamie.”

“She takes every game night off for Jamie,” Camryn said with a wink.

“I met Jamie when he first played here, before James got traded to Pittsburgh. I remember the rookie but he’s so different then those days though.”

“Yeah, he’s way better looking,” Camryn quipped.

“His hairstyle has certainly improved,” Avery smiled.

“He’s sex on legs and don’t you dare tell Ty I said so.”

“Your secret is safe with me. Just don’t let Stels ever hear you; she would for sure tell on you.”

“Your sister is married to Jamie’s brother?” Alex asked.

Avery nodded. “Yeah, Stella came here a couple years ago and met Jordie. She tried to resist but he won her over. Then I got a job with the Stars and moved here and Jamie tried to win me over and I gave in too, even though it nearly cost me my job.”

“Where is your sister now?”

“Montreal.”

“Wow, that’s a long way from Dallas.”

“Tell me about it. But she comes down with my niece and nephew when the Habs play here and I go to Montreal when the Stars travel there. And of course we see each other at Christmas and summer. Jordie and Jamie both train here.”

“That's nice that you get to spend the summer with family.”

“It's not the worst,” Avery agreed. “What about you, Alex? Do you work in Vegas?”

“No, not in Vegas, but I did in Nashville. Well, I guess I still do technically work in Nashville. I own a bakery and when James got picked in the expansion draft, best friend Kathryn became my business partner and she manages the day to day. I won't go back until November when the guys are on their first extended road trip. Since we don't know what will happen next, it seemed crazy to open up a new shop in Vegas; who knows how long we’ll stay. For now I'm just happy being able to wander with James. It was a complicated journey to get where we are now and I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride, you know?”

Camryn nodded in understanding. “I certainly never pictured myself dating Tyler Seguin, let alone ending up knocked up by the guy who posed naked on a zamboni eating a popsicle. But goddamn it's an enjoyable ride.”

Avery laughs. “Ty or life?”

“Both,” Cam smirked as they all dissolve into laughter.

~*~*~


After the game, Alex got a quick minute alone with James, congratulating him on his two goals and the Knights first win before he was hustled Onto the bus to the airport where a late night flight to Arizona awaited.

Alex drove her rental car to her parents and spent Saturday and Sunday with her family before flying back to Vegas on Monday. James picked her up from the airport and after getting in the car, she leaned across the console to kiss him.

“I can't believe you have three goals in two games plus both the game winners. Living up to that Real Deal nickname I see,” she told him.

He smirked as he merged into traffic. “That's why they pay me the big bucks.”

“Have you had practice today?”

“Finished before I came to pick you up.”

“So we can go home and I can show you how impressive I thought the Real Deal was?” Alex teases, her hand resting on his thigh.

James glances at her hand and then over to Alex who flutters her lashes and smiled coyly. He hits the accelerator and darts in and out of traffic. “I think this time I'll show you how I score a hat trick.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's short, I know, but just wait for what's in store. Buckle up, readers!