Status: It's been too long, friends....

Him and I

In The End

There was a home game that night and despite John’s insistence that it was perfectly okay for her to stay at his place instead of going to the game, Alex wanted to go. She needed something to distract her and cheering for John and his team seemed like a good place to start.

She rode with John to the arena and he got her setup with a pass for the evening. She decided to hang out in the family lounge until closer to warmups and made herself at home in a corner with a book on her phone to pass the time. When she did make her way out into the arena, she found a spot near the glass to watch warmups, wearing the Tavares jersey John had given her and an Islanders hat pulled low on her head.

If anyone recognized her they didn’t let on and she was able to watch warmups in anonymity. After, she walked out to the concourse and grabbed a pretzel and a beer before making her way to her seat. She was sitting with some of the girls she had met the night before, including Jordan and Nick’s girlfriends, and she was incredibly grateful that none of them brought up what had happened or the page six article.

The Islanders won and Alex joined the other women when they headed back down to the family lounge. They chit chatted about reality tv and their hobbies, and Alex told them a little about For Goodness Cakes back in Nashville. Forty five minutes after the game ended, John appeared in the room with a smile. He bumped his shoulder into Alex’s.

“You ready?” He asked.

She nodded and said goodbye to the others. With a light touch at the small of her back, John guided Alex out of the building and to his car. He held her door and once she was settled in he went around to get in on the drivers side. He buckled and glanced over at her as she clicked her own seatbelt into place.

“Thank you for coming tonight. You really didn’t have to.”

“You are my friend, John Tavares. And I enjoy seeing my friends play. I wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else.”

“What time is your flight tomorrow?”

“Four.”

“I have practice in the morning but we can grab lunch after before I take you to the airport.”

“Okay.”

“You know if you need anything, Alex,” he started.

She reached over and squeezed his fingers quickly. “I know, John. And thank you.”

He nodded. “And Steven and PK too.”

“Did you tell them?”

“About Nealer?” She nodded. “I didn't tell them all the details but I told them that he’s upset and overreacting and taking it out on you when he should be mad at me.”

“He shouldn’t be mad at you either, John. You didn’t do anything wrong. No one is at fault. It’s just a shit situation made shitter by one James Neal.”

“Well, they know he hasn’t talked to you and I told them that they both need to leave it be. If you want to tell them what happened in detail that’s up to you. But you don’t have to, and neither of them are going to push you about it either. Just go to Nashville and make cakes with Katharyn and have fun with Subby. Everything will work itself out after that.”

“You’re a glass half full kind of guy, aren’t you Johnny?”

“I’m an optimist about love, especially true love.”

“At least one of us is,” Alex replied sadly.

“Are you sure you’re okay, Alex?”

“I will be. Eventually.”

~*~*~


The next day, John pulled up at the departure gates at the airport and put his car in park. He climbed out to retrieve Alex’s bags from the trunk and set them on the curb as she waited. John pulled her into a bear hug and squeezed her tightly. When he let her go, he adjusted the Islanders beanie on her head.

“Have fun in Nashville, let me know you landed, okay?”

“I will.”

“Don’t let PK get you into too much trouble.”

She giggled. “PK is nothing but trouble.”

“I know but still.”

“You’re a really great friend, John. Thank you for being you.”

“You’re welcome. Call if you need anything.”

“I will.” She hugged him again and then went on tiptoe to kiss his cheek before stepping back and grabbing the handle of her suitcase. “Bye,” she waved before heading for the entrance.

John waited until she was inside and turned back to wave again. He waved in return and then got back into his car and drove away, heading for home.

He went to dinner with a few of his teammates later that night and on his way home, his phone started dinging one after another with text messages. He glanced at it and saw PK’s name. He silenced it and it continued to vibrate on the dash.

When he got home he went inside and tossed his keys on the counter in the kitchen before picking up his phone to check his messages.

You did take Alex to the airport, right? You didn’t keep her did you?

DUDE!

Her flight was US5978?

It says the flight has landed but I don't see her yet.

John! She’s not at the airport. What is going on?

Did she change flights? Is she coming tomorrow? Why isn’t she answering her phone?

Why aren’t you answering your phone?

Where is Alex, John????


John dialed PK as soon as he got through his thread of messages with a thousand thoughts flying through his head.

“Dude! What the fuck?” PK answered.

“What do you mean Alex isn’t in Nashville?” John shouted.

“Exactly that. She’s not here. I was at the airport when you told me to be there. I parked and went inside and watched one of those flight boards but she never showed up at baggage claim and she won’t answer the phone. Have you talked to her?”

“Not since I dropped her off and she said she was going to Nashville!” John began to pace his kitchen. “What do we do? Should we call James?”

“Fuck no we’re not calling Neal! Fuck him. This is all his fault anyway.”

“Okay, then should we call the police?”

“I think that’s a bit dramatic.”

“Oh, like all the text messages you sent me?”

“You try to call her and I’ll call Stammer; maybe she went to Tampa.”

“Okay. I’ll let you know.”

John hung up with PK and immediately dialed Alex. “Pick up, pick up, pick up,” he muttered.

“Hi, John,” Alex answered quietly.

“Alex! Are you okay? Where are you? What happened? Are you still at the airport? I’ll come get you.”

“I’m okay, John. I’m in Dallas.”

“Dallas?”

“I’m staying with my parents. I couldn’t go to Nashville. I couldn’t face our friends.”

“PK would have let you hide out you know.”

“But they would know I was hiding out. I just couldn’t do it.”

“I understand. But you should’ve let Subby know. He’s really worried about you. He blew up my phone looking for you.”

“I’ll call him, I promise.”

“Are you sure you’re okay, Alex? You can come back and stay here if you want.”

“I can’t do that. It would make everything even worse.”

“You could stay with Steven. No one knows you in Tampa.”

“I know, but I needed to be away from you guys for a minute. It’s hard to be around y’all.”

“Because we remind you of James?” He asked softly.

She sighed. “Something like that.”

He didn’t push. “What can I do for you, Alex?”

“You don’t need to do anything, John.”

“What about your stuff? Do you want me to hire some people to move it?”

“How are you single, John? You’re so damn perfect.”

“I’m not perfect.”

“You are, and some girl is going to be really lucky to have you one day.”

“Maybe. And while I know my love life or lack thereof is a favorite subject of yours, right now we’re talking about you. Is there anything I can do for you?”

“No, John, I’m fine, I swear. I called Veronique Fleury and told her what happened. I overnighted her my key and she’s going to pack my stuff and send it to Dallas so I don’t have to go back. My car is there but I’ll get it shipped when I have a little bit of extra money to do it.”

“I can pay for that.”

“I can’t ask you to do that, John.”

“You don’t have to ask. I have two sisters already and now I have three. And I know Steven and PK think of you like a sister too. If you need something, anything, you can ask any of us.”

“Thank you, John.”

“Let us know how you are, okay?”

“I will. I’ll check in every day.”

“Good. Call PK.”

“I will. Bye, John.”

“Talk to you soon, Alex.”