Status: Will be updated every 2 comment!

Too Scared to Love Again

Chapter 10

The drive to Matt’s house was followed by the sound of Blair’s shuffle-button on Spotify, which revealed a lot of happy hits from ABBA and even some Justin Timberlake at some point. The ginger-haired driver hummed along, knowing every word, meanwhile her blonde friend was cramped up in the backseat, regretting the fact that she had been convinced to leave her comfortable bed, even when she knew she was hanging out with her favourite band.

“I didn’t bring any alcohol, guys.” she said, which brought a snorting sound out of Lynn’s lips.

“You underestimate us so much it’s insulting.” the brunette pointed out. “Of course we got you covered!”

Lynn tried to lift the heavy bags of booze that she had brought along, but soon realized that it was all too heavy for her. The blonde only rolled her eyes at how dedicated even Lynn seemed at this point, which really amazed Cynthia considering she couldn’t stand spending time with the guys.

“You guys came!” Valary exclaimed happily when she noticed Blair’s car in front of her house. The blonde paddled out of her garden, another woman following closely, as she went to greet her new guests.

“Of course we came!” Blair announced, unbuckling her seatbelt and climbing out of the driver’s seat.

“This is my lovely twin Michelle! And these are the fun gals I told you about!” Val smiled sweetly, one arm draped around her twin that looked like the brunette version of Valary.

“I’m Michelle. Val’s been talking non-stop about ya’ll! It’s so nice to finally meet you!” the light brunette spoke, a bright smile curving her lips, as she shook hands with Lynn and Cynthia at first, before moving on to Blair.

“I assume you’re Blair? And you must be Cynthia!” Michelle did a well guess, as she tried to use the information her twin had given her. “And you! You’re the one who rejected Brian!” she chuckled out loud, her voice cracking into a loud laughter, as she looked at Lynn.

“Is this my trademark now?” Lynn spoke jokingly, as the other brunette placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Oh, honey! I’ve been going to high school with him, and I can assure you that he should’ve been rejected a long time ago!”

Lynn chuckled a little, as it seemed as though Brian had been one cocky bastard throughout a lot of years.

“Okay, so I’m like your lord and saviour or something?” she wiggled her eyebrows, which again made Michelle laugh out loud.

“Indeed! Jeez, Val! I like her already!” Michelle stated.

“I told you so, sis!” Valary announced, meanwhile she wrapped an arm around Cynthia’s shoulders.

“Let’s get you something to drink!”

The backyard was already loaded with a good tension. Music blasted from the speakers, and Jimmy was already drying off the water after staying in Matt’s pool for a while. Matt was manning the grill, meanwhile he enjoyed a cold beer and conversed with Johnny. Brian and Zack had been ordered to help Val plating the table outside, giving the girls some time to welcome their new guests.

“Look who’s here!” Val chimed out loud as she stepped into her huge garden, instantly receiving attention from the boys.

“Hey, you.” Zack’s lips were pulled into a wide smile at the sight of Blair.

“Ew, stop it!” Johnny whined.

Lynn rolled her eyes at little at how Blair and Zack were instantly drawn to one another, suddenly acting as though they were the only ones left in the entire world.

“I can’t believe I was like that…” Michelle sighed under her breath, chuckling a little to herself.

“Was?” Lynn asked, shoving her hands into her loose pockets, meanwhile Val followed Cynthia inside in order to get the woman a drink.

“Yeah.” Michelle confirmed, taking a sip from her wine.

“We weren’t that bad, Misha.” Brian told the woman, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and pecking her cheek.

“Oh, stop it! We were!” she giggled, slapping his arm, and watching as her ex-boyfriend swept his gaze over at the brunette.

“I call bullshit!” the guitarist said, before he looked over at Lynn.

She looked almost shyly at the two of them, her mind putting the pieces together, meanwhile she watched as Cynthia returned outside with a drink in her hand.

“Is she okay?” Brian asked Lynn, just as Michelle disappeared inside.

“No, but she will be.” Lynn shrugged, not entirely sure why she revealed this kind of information to him.

“I hope so,” he stated. “I like her.” Brian smiled.

“Don’t even think about it.” Lynn half-snapped.

“Not like that!” Brian assured her. “Did you guys bring booze?”

Before Lynn got to open her mouth and answer, a shriek left Jimmy’s lips, the sound loud enough for the whole neighbourhood to hear.

“I LOVE THESE GIRLS!" Jimmy exclaimed out loud, pulling Cynthia and Blair into the tightest hug they had ever felt. “Ya’ll are gonna become my new drinking partners!” the drummer announced.

“Oh, not us! Lynn! She’s the one who decided to go all in!” Blair said, pointing her finger over at the brunette.

“You?” Jimmy cocked his eyebrows, genuinely surprised, as she was the only one who still hadn’t picked up a drink.

“Lynn’s like the worst drinker ever!” Blair said. “Right, C?”

“Oh, yes. She was the one who introduced me to spirite.” the blonde said, her arms crossed over her chest, just as Jimmy chuckled.

“Now I know who I’m doing shots with later on!” he smirked rather mischievously.

“You’re really up for something now.” Michelle chuckled, nudging the brunette a little.

“Oh, God…” Lynn let out. “I think I’m gonna grab a drink.”

“Let me join you!” Michelle beamed, as she was already left with an empty plastic cup.

The two women paddled into Val and Matt’s kitchen. The dark marvel counter was already loaded with lots of food, as Lynn was reminded of how hungry she was. Michelle chuckled a little, knowing that her twin was a big fan of feeding her guests. The hazel brunette opened the fridge, finding some of her mixed mojito, before offering some to her new friend.

“So, you’re Brian’s ex-girlfriend?” Lynn asked, leaning herself against the fridge and looking shyly into her filled glass.

“Oh, yes,” Michelle chuckled. “It was a long time ago though.”

“Looks like you guys are good friends now.” the other brunette commented.

“Are you kidding me? The man’s like my best friend!” Michelle let out. “I love him, even though he drives me up against the fucking wall every time I visit Huntington.”

Lynn chuckled a little. She liked Michelle. She was funny and seemed to blend very well with Lynn and her friends, a trait, which she admired.

“You don’t live here anymore?” the brunette asked, taking a rather large sip from her drink.

“Nope. I live in Baton Rouge, one hour drive from New Orleans.” Michelle smiled sweetly.

Lynn nearly choked at her drink at the sound of New Orleans. The brunette nodded slowly, trying to collect herself a little. Lynn had despited New Orleans ever since her mother moved from Huntington and abandoned her daughter and former husband. Her mother had made lots of effort in order to get her daughter to visit her, but Lynn had made excuses every time, as she refused to acknowledge the new life-style her mother had gotten for herself.

“Are you okay? Did I say something wrong?” Michelle voiced, noticing how Lynn was all worked up and lost in her own thoughts.

Lynn cleared her throat and then took a swig from her drink. “Yeah, I’m sorry. I just… I have some personal issues with New Orleans…”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that,” the other woman muffled. “Would you like to share them? I can be a very good listener.”

The brunette pressed her lips together. She barely talked about her mother anymore, and after two years of not seeing her, it almost felt as though she didn’t have one at all. She knew it was unfair, as Cynthia had grown up with a single mother who never really cared much for her, and who didn’t even understand the seriousness in her daughter’s condition before it almost took her life. But there Lynn was – still furious about how her mother had left her and her father. How her mother had left Lynn to care for the heartbroken man who was her father.

“It’s just… my mother lives there with her new boyfriend,” the brunette said. “And she has been living there for quite some time.”

“Are you’re parents divorced?” Michelle asked, noticing how hard it was for Lynn to open up about this.

“Yeah, or my mother left my father three years ago. It was really ugly, and we pretty much lost all contact ever since that happened.” Lynn confessed.

“God, that’s…. awful,” Michelle sighed. “I’m so sorry you had to go through all of that.”

“Yeah, me too…” Lynn almost chuckled a little, not entirely sure how to respond. “I’ve pretty much decided to never visit New Orleans.”

“That’s very understandable,” the brunette said. “But if you somehow find yourself in Baton Rouge, you gotta give me a call! I can show you a lot of great attractions, and you won’t even have to see New Orleans!” Michelle promised, which brought a smile to Lynn’s lips.

“Will do.” Lynn reassured her.

“Marvellous! Okay, let’s get you tipsy!” Michelle announced, wrapping her arm around Lynn’s shoulders.

The two women soon emerged outside in the backyard, where Matt was loading plates with tasteful meat. Zack was settled in a comfortable armchair with Blair in his lap, and Johnny was frantically texting someone, which Lynn assumed must be Kath, as they had connected very well on Cynthia’s birthday.
Brian rested his eyes on the brunette as Lynn small talked with Johnny, who had shoved his phone back into the back of his jeans. He noticed how the woman who had been determined that all men were awful, finally let go of her grudges for a little while.

“God, Haner.” Michelle chuckled, nudging him with her fist, as the guitarist looked up at her somewhat puzzled.

“What?”

“You’re into her,” the brunette smirked. “It’s so damned obvious.”

“I’m not.” he protested.

“Bullshit!” Michelle shook her head at him. “I’ve known you for far too long to buy that crap. You like her. I get it, she’s fucking awesome.”

“I don’t like her, Misha,” Brian repeated. “When have I ever been into women who don’t want me?” he cocked his eyebrows at her, waiting for her comeback.

Michelle only shook her head again, chuckling lightly. “The thing about you is that you’ve never been rejected before. You’re used to women throwing themselves at you, and you’re drawn towards Lynn because she’s not one of your conquers.”

Brian narrowed his eyes at her. Michelle looked deadly genuine as she looked back at him. She had her arms crossed over her chest and her eyebrows raised, which brought wrinkles on her forehead. The expression on her face was the one she made every time she tried to point something out for him, and now was one of those moments.

Brian knew Michelle was somewhat right. He never chased women. They chased him. He had never been dumped before, because usually he was the one who got tired. The only exception had been between him and Michelle, which was probably the reason why they managed to remain friends after they broke up. That time they had both agreed on splitting up – she wanted to go to college, and his band was blowing up, which introduced him to a lifestyle he knew could ruin the bond between the two of them. After Michelle, Brian had been the one to leave his conquers. He had been the one who left Georgina at the hotel room in Sydney. He had been the person to break with up with Theresa over a text message, and he had also been the one to dump Nicole right before he hit the road again.

That was who he was – a person who merely committed himself to his relationships, and often gave up because he wanted to go live out the lifestyle as a rockstar.

But was Michelle right this time? Was the feeling of freedom boring him? Did he want something new for himself? And more importantly – was Lynn the one to give him this new experience?

“You’re wrong.” Brian simply stated, just before he went inside to grab his next beer, shoving the earlier thoughts into the back of his head, where they belonged for the moment.

♠ ♠ ♠

Cynthia had settled as far away as possible from the others, her plate resting in front of her, along with her Carlsberg beer. The blonde cracked her beer, feeling the cold beverage against her long fingers, meanwhile she took a swig, still unable to let go of the uncomfortable feeling that whirled around in the pit of her stomach.

“Mind if I take a seat?” Jimmy voiced rather softly, one of his hands balancing a beer and a plate that was already loaded with food.

“Be my guest.” Cynthia announced, pulling her pinkish lips into a gentle smile and watching as the drummer made himself comfortable.

The blonde watched as Jimmy splashed a pile of Tabasco sauce unto his plate, looking rather fearless while he did it. Cynthia’s eyes widened a little, meanwhile she watched as he assembled his own burger, which now consisted of more Tabasco sauce than anything else.

“Are you sure that’s a wise move?” she mumbled, unable to hold back her question.

“Of course it is! I’m Jimmy fuckin’ Sullivan!” the drummer riposted, talking as though this meant that he could handle this amount of sauce.

“I know that, trust me, but seriously. As a person who’s a fucking champion when it comes to drinking that shit, let me tell you, don’t fuck with Tabasco sauce!” she said.

“Is that a warning?” Jimmy wiggled his eyebrows, holding her gaze.

“Maybe. What would you do with that?” Cynthia cocked her eyebrows at him, curious about his answer.

“Make a bet.” Jimmy stated quite firmly.

“A bet about Tabasco sauce? Oh, honey. You don’t know what you’re getting yourself into.” Cynthia smirked.

“Oh, yeah? Fucking fight me, Thompsen!” Jimmy let out, drumming his knuckles into his chest.

“I fucking will!” Cynthia got up on her feet, trying to make herself appear as big as possible, but failing as Jimmy stood up and all but towered over her.

“Okay, I’m fucking in!” the dark-haired drummer announced.

“What the hell are they doing now?” Val asked, rubbing her fingers into her temple, meanwhile the blonde watched as Cynthia and Jimmy grabbed the Tabasco sauce, a move she’d seen her childhood friend do way too many times during his life.

“I hope Cynthia doesn’t think she’ll be able to fight Jimmy here.” Johnny mumbled underneath his breath.

“I actually hope Jimmy doesn’t think he’ll beat Cynthia’s ass. She’s a fucking monster when it comes to taking Tabasco sauce.” Blair stated, her arms crossed over her chest while she looked at the two of them, both looking like children on Christmas Eve.

“She is?” Matt questioned, bringing his large palms on top of his wife’s shoulders.

“Oh, yes,” Blair chuckled. “Right, Lynn?” the ginger-haired woman glanced over at the brunette, who had just cracked open her next drink.

“Yes, I can confirm.” Lynn stated.

“Why the hell did we buy Tabasco sauce?” Val asked her husband, tilting her head back and gazing up at him.

“I have no idea, babe.” Matt sighed, pulling his wife into his embrace and draping his arms around her shoulders.

“Well, I’m not gonna watch this. I have a meal to return to.” Michelle announced, dragging a hand through her wavy hair, before she returned to her spot, her eyes looking happily over at her meal that was still waiting for her.

“Yeah, I’m with her!” Johnny spoke, as he too brought his attention over to his own meal.

“How long are you staying, Michelle?” Blair asked, her fork cutting through the delicate meat.

“I’m heading home on Wednesday, so I have three more days.” the twin said, a smile curving her lips.

“Why did you come back to Huntington for a week?” the ginger-haired woman asked curiously.

“I miss my parents and Val.” Michelle shrugged.

“And me!” Johnny spoke, smiling goofily at the brunette.

“And me!” Brian added, as Michelle rolled her eyes at them.

“Oh, please!” she said. “Ryan is in New Orleans now to get his license, so I’m basically all by myself, which really made me want to come back to Huntington for some days.”

“His license?” Lynn voiced from her seat.

“He’s a dentist! Or, he’s almost a dentist!” Michelle smiled.

“I bet he’d love my teeth.” Brian smirked, meanwhile Michelle nudged him.

“You’re a dork.” she told him, shaking her head.

“A handsome one.” he all but winked playfully, which Lynn and Blair found really interesting, as they knew they had been a couple at some point.

It was odd for Lynn to see an ex-couple be able to joke around with one another and even talk about their new partners so openly. Lynn hadn’t talked or barely seen Carter since she threw him out of the apartment, almost shattering some of his belongings out of pure agony over what he did to her. Therefore it really surprised her to see how well things were between Brian and Michelle.

The evening went by pretty quickly. Jimmy and Cynthia had emptied almost two bottles of milk in order to get rid of the hot smell that lingered inside their mouths. Jimmy had at last realized that he could not win over Cynthia, and the blonde had assured him that she would make sure he never forgot that he lost this battle. The bartender appeared much more happier now than when she had showed up at Matt and Val’s porch; it almost looked like the dreaded sensation that had filled her had faded slightly, and that she had been given a break from the drama between her and Asher.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, thank you SO much for all the comments! You guys are a real inspiration for this story! Please remember to check out my other story Make You Feel My Love!

2 comments = next chapter!