Status: Infrequent updates!

'F' Is for Forbidden

6. All Around Me

Dellos locked the mansion door behind us when we got in. Lingering by it for a second, I tried to think back on the night, but my brother's nimble fingers prying his jacket off my shoulders shook me free of the reverie.

I caught his eyes and a mutual understanding passed between us. As such, the leather stayed wrapped around me.

We went into the nearest lounge area and he flickered on the television, probably just as a distraction. The Price is Right was showing, but I could bet all the money in the world that Bob was not who he was watching.

After standing about for few more moments, I approached the futon. While I didn't mind the silence between us (it was never awkward), I didn't know how he would react if I lay my head on his lap.

Fuck this, I screamed internally, as I went to get comfortable. However, when I went to lay my head down, his arm snaked itself around my neck and he was arranging my body in between his legs. He cradled me like a child, as I was bunched up in a weird kind of fetal position. My head resting on his chest, my bare feet pushing on the inside of his thigh.

Pressing my ear softly on his shirt, I could hear the smooth humming of his heart. It pumped naturally, beautifully, like the beat of your favourite song.

The buzzing of the television continued, but I focused on the even breathing that my brother expelled. The slight rise in body temperature when he pulled me in closer. The dance of his pulse through his fingertips.

It felt it all go through me, drizzle down on me like rainfall. From a calm blue sky.

"Dellos?" It was a mere whisper, maybe he couldn't hear me.

But, listening to his heartbeat again, I detected a small jump. He hadn't missed it.

"Am I a whore?"

That enticed an intense reaction. He pulled me away from him, fingers digging into my upper arms as he held me at a fixed distance, eyes trained and ready to strike.

"Don't ever use that word again, do you hear me? Nikolai is a vile human being, don't let him get to you." Then, as his irises of misty glass roamed over me, his softened once again. "I share a house with you every day, and not once have I ever came across any bad behavior. I'm glad that you're careful with your friends, I'm glad you hate our lifestyle, I'm glad you've only ever had one boyfriend..."

I giggled, which made him smile. It reached all the way to his eyes. I was the only person who could do that.

"You're beautiful not only in looks but in soul. You fight like nobody I've ever seen before, until you have knocked down not just only every hurdle in sight but the pillars and weights that keep them rooted. You don't miss a single thing."

My mouth was dry. I never knew Dellos was so observant. I knew he watched over me and made mental notes of who I hung about with – but it seemed there was still things he could surprise me with.

"You're perfect."

Giving him a 'don't you start' look, I patted his cheek lightly, trying to push his face away. In response, his arms held me even closer.

"You're so full of shit, Dellos Taylor." I stuck my tongue out at him.

"But you are."

"No, I'm not."

"But Jensen..."

I stopped moving, because he only ever called me by my name if it meant he was being serious. Nicknames had been a thing for us ever since we were young, firecracker was his favorite, as it had two meanings.

But my real name... that's when we both knew play time was over.

Dellos was still, except for the hand that pried a stray lock of hair away from my face. He tucked it behind my ear, tan fingers brushing lightly.

Dellos had taken his skin tone from our father, who claimed he was descended from Ancient Romans, a complete contrast to mine. I was paler than the moonlight, which I'd inherited from my mom. The only visible features we had in common were our height, as we both stood at six foot tall, and our matching eyes.

Sometimes it was hard to forget that we weren't full-fledged siblings.

The line between blood and water was thin with us. His mother had died when he was too young and his father sought after another woman to bring up his child. She bore him a new one a few years later, resulting in a baby with vibrant red hair and glowing green eyes that stared at the boy.

"You are."

I'd have given in to the heart palpitations at that moment, if it weren't for the drilling shriek of my cellphone. Reaching into my back pocket, I saw that I had an incoming call from an unknown number.

Exchanging looks with my brother quickly, I pressed receive and held it to my ear.

"Hello?"

There was audible sound from the other line, much like the noise at the party. Music blared and there was incessant chatter in the background, it wouldn't surprise me if I'd been butt-dialed..

There was a loud cough, I pulled the phone away from my ear, just before it looked like Dellos was going to snatch it.

"Jensen Taylor?" The voice was rough, crackly, as if they'd just thrown up. Yet, I was certain it was male.

My eyebrows furrowed of their own accord.

"Yes? Can I help you?" When there was no immediate response, I sighed. "Who is this?"

"A friend of a friend. I just wanted to call and apologize for Nikolai's behavior tonight. What he did was..."

"Look," I cut in. That boy was still ruining my night -- and he wasn't even here! "I don't care. Tell him that. Tell him whatever you want, but don't ever contact me again. You, him, or any of your mates. I'm done with all of you. Have a good night."

With that, I hung up and turned my phone off, in case I got a call back. I leaned back into my brother's chest and closed my eyes, feeling the swell of fatigue catch up to me.

I don't remember falling asleep or how Dellos must have carried me to my bedroom... but I do remember waking up at six a.m and turning around on my mattress to find a warm bulking body sleeping soundly beside me.

His back was to me, but I knew that he always slept with a smile on his lips. One day he'd have to teach me the trick of pleasant dreams or how he could go to bed so happy, every time.

But I had to get ready for school. To face everyone from the party, the disgusting rumors that mostly likely were floating around, and knowing I had to speak to Nora and Dominic as well.

I really wasn't ready for this.