‹ Prequel: Dear God
Status: ACTIVE

Almost Easy

Would love to take you shoppin', but girl, I'll be on tour

Matt’s POV

I tossed my last bag down in the guest room at Amy’s house, exhaling heavily as I ran my hands over my face. I turned around and sunk down in to the mattress, staring at the doorway where Amy was leaning, arms crossed over her chest with a very disapproving look on her face, “What?” I asked, my attitude definitely not earned.

“She was the best thing I’d ever seen happen in your life and you fucked that shit up hard.” Amy shook her head, “How hard is it to be a decent man to her? To not fuck another woman or to even make time for her? That’s not the brother I grew up with, the one who used to do anything to help Liz. You’ve changed, Matt. For the worse.”

“Everyone changes, Amy. People don’t stay the same for ever.”

“Yeah well not every one turns to shit either…” She shrugged, “Funny, you’re almost thirty and living at your sister’s house. Isn’t that some prerequisite for a successful rockstar? Maybe it’ll be good luck and your band won’t flop in a few years when you all end up settling down… You’ll be the single fuck to keep them all going.”

“Wow thanks, Amy. Those are such encouraging words during this really difficult time in my life.” I shook my head at her in disbelief, “You’re something.”

“You deserve all of this, find an apartment soon because I’m not going to sit here and help you lick your wounds forever. I’m going out, there’s food in the fridge help yourself. Figure yourself out man…”

I rolled my eyes and fell back on the bed as Amy left, shutting the door on her way. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and dialed Brian’s number, no matter what he was always my go-to. A few rings later he finally picked up.

“Hey, what’s up? Zack called and said world war three has begun? What’s with that? You piss Liz off again?”

I closed my eyes and for the first time in longer than I could remember felt tears fall from my eyes, “Man… we’re getting a divorce.”

.:.:.:.:.:.

Liz’s POV

Matt had left two days ago, he took all of his shit with him but I had heard from Michelle he hadn’t gone straight to Amy’s, pitstopped for a bit at his parents house then made the drive. It wasn’t very different than any other time he was gone, for work or whatever he was doing. I was sitting at the desk in the study when I heard the front door of the house open, my blood chilled for a minute until Zack’s voice called out.

“Elizabeth fuckin Baker!”

I smiled at his wording and turned in my chair, “Study!” I shouted back and heard his footsteps thudding up the stairs, “I’m sad because the fact you cursed means you don’t have my niece.”

“I don’t have her because I wasn’t sure what mental state you’d be in.” Zack walked in and hugged me tight, “How you holding up? Sorry it took so long for me to come over. I’ve been with mom.”

“Yeah… I uh… I haven’t had the balls to go over there again, I don’t want her asking about Matt.” I shrugged, “How’s she doing?”

“Better, not the best but better.” He took a seat on the sofa across the room, “I wanna get this out in the air first off: I’m sorry as fuck, Liz. I wish this could have worked for you two, but with that said, I honestly think it’ll be good for the two of you. Some time apart to get your heads together-“

“Zack-“

“Just to breathe-“

“Zack we’re getting a divorce.”

“And to-… wait, say what?” He stopped talking, his jaw slacking as he stared at me, I shrugged, “Oh. Matt said you two were just separating, taking some time.. I didn’t know you were filing paperwork.”

“Yeah, I actually have an appointment with a lawyer in Los Angeles to get the ball rolling today. I’m done with it, I want my name back, I want to stop being mad that he’s not home, it’s his world and I was just living in it. It’s time I do my own thing. Dennis actually offered me a break off from the company the other day to work up my own brand… Still under their umbrella but I’d be licensing my own product.”

“Wow, shit… Really?” Zack asked, “That’s so cool. You’re gonna have your own logo and stuff?”

“Yeah, I was thinking something like Blizzard Designs or something, incorporate the b from Baker and Lizard from Liz…” I shrugged as Zack laughed, “Don’t laugh at me I like it. A Colorado based business, logo a snowflake or something equally as cold-“

“Colorado based?” Zack asked.

“I’m not moving, don’t worry.” I laughed, “Been there done that, not going again. I’m happy here, honestly. I think putting the whole marriage behind me will be easy and good for me. It sucks, I can’t lie, it sucks major sack.”

“There’s my sister.” Zack smiled at me, “I get it, I can’t imagine losing Jacky..”

“It’s different, sorry Zack, but like… We’ve known each other since we were kids, like little kids.” I laughed a little, “He’s always been one of my best friends and now it’s like… We made things odd between us all, but I’m the only one who feels that way. I don’t know, it’s confusing. I think spacing it out, taking some time from seeing him at all even will be nice. The faster this divorce gets finalized the better, we don’t have kids so-“

“Did you want kids, Liz?” Zack narrowed his eyes in curiosity, staring at me as I shrugged, “Because he was worried that was pushing you away, that he wasn’t in to that.”

“In to that? He told me fixing this meant having a kid!” I laughed, “I love kids, I would have loved a kid. But… We’ve never been in a spot where a child would have thrived in the midst of our chaos. In the midst of his life and my life… He’s not ready.”

“Not at all, but… you need to find someone who is, Lizzy. I promise you will. Now let’s say fuck work and head to LA, grab some coffee, and get those papers signed huh? Jacky and Lid went to Oceanside for the day so I’m wife and kid free today.”

“Oh look at you, getting a taste of my life.” I winked and stood, “Yeah, actually a coffee date with my favorite brother sounds pretty good right now.”

“I’m your only brother-“

“Exactly, therefor I have no option but you being my favorite.” I punched his shoulder as he mimicked my motions and stood up, “Let me grab my phone from the kitchen and we’ll head out.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: Ball for Me - Post Malone