Sequel: Devil with Angel Eyes

Starry Eyes

I'll just pretend she never was real

“I’ve gotta pee.” I announce after three Pair of Jacks drinks. “I’ll be back my fair gentlemen.” I slip off my barstool and begin to walk away, only to be stopped when Douglas puts a hand on my bicep.

“You need me to walk with you?” He asks, naturally concerned. “It’s packed and I wouldn’t want you to get cornered by your ex.”

I can’t help but smile. He’s seriously the sweetest guy I have ever dated. “No, stay here with the boys. I’ll be fine. I can handle crowds and I can definitely handle Ashley. Don’t worry.” I get on my tip toes and plant a quick kiss on Douglas’ lips. “Thank you, though. It means a lot.” He just smiles as he lets go of my arm. My smile grows as I turn around and head towards the bathroom. And sadly I have to walk past Ashley and CC. I lock eyes with both men as I walk by. And I can still feel Ashley’s eyes on me as I walk away.

I’m waiting in line for the ladies room when Ashley approaches me. “We need to talk, Nik.”

“Can it wait?” I ask as the line moves. “I’m kinda in the middle of something.” He just rolls his eyes before grabbing my wrist and drags me into the men’s room which was of course empty. “What the fuck Ashley?”

“Are you serious about this guy?” He questions me, scoffing. “He’s nothing like the guys you have ever dated before. He’s a fucking GQ model for fucks sake. What do you see in him?”

“He doesn’t treat me like a piece of meat for starters!” I exclaim. “He actually cares for me and he’s so fucking sweet. Honestly, he’s out of my league. I’m through dating tatted up rockstars. I’m through with the lifestyle I grew up in. I’m tired of getting my heart stomped on by guys like you. You fucking hurt me, Ashley. I thought out of everyone I ever dated, you’d be the last person to break my heart. But you did. Multiple times. And I’m done.”

“Nik, you knew I wasn’t the commitment type.” He sighs, trying to defend himself. “Committing to you scared the shit out of me.”

“Yet you kept coming back.” I roll my eyes. “Makes so much sense, Purdy.”

“Because deep down I knew you were the one and the fucking scared me.” He sighs. “Look I never meant to hurt you.” He grabs my hand and lazily pulls me closer towards him. “We had some good times, right? It wasn’t all bad.”

“Don’t do this, Ash.” I plea. “Please don’t do this. Don’t try and get me to go down memory lane. It’s not going to work this time. I’m done. I love Douglas and I love the change of pace when it comes to this relationship. I’m not being pressured into anything. I’m not being manipulated for once. And he actually cares about me; which is so refreshing. Everyone else just assumed I didn’t need to be checked on and protected. He wants to do all of that.”

“Because you don’t need to be protected.” Ashley sighs. “You’re Nikkole fucking Lee, the strongest girl I know. You don’t need a man to protect you.”

“But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try.” I shrug. “Ashley, you’ll always be in my heart but I can’t keep doing this dance. I’m sorry.” I take my hand back and back away. “You’ll find your girl, don’t worry.” With that I leave the bathroom and walk back to the bar. I’m suddenly not in the mood to be here.

I get back to the boys and instantly Douglas and Gunner look at me. “You okay, babe?” Douglas asks. “Did you run into Ashley?”

“I’m fine, I’m suddenly not in the mood to be out.” I force a smile on my lips. “I’m going to go back to the townhouse. You guys enjoy yourself. Even you Gunner.” I smile at my boys. “Don’t get into trouble okay? I’m honestly not in the mood to bail anyone out.”

“She’s avoiding the Ashley question.” Brandon seethes. “What did that fucker say to you?”

“Nothing, Brandon.” I glare at my brother, but my glare softens when his does. “I’m just not in the mood okay? Enjoy yourselves. I’ll be back working on music. I might even go see Dad and Nikki.”

“I’ll call you when I get in.”Douglas assures me before putting an arm around me, pulling me close to him. “I’ll see you later.” A simple kiss on the temple causes a smile on my lips and my cheeks to blush.

“Be good.” I warn them before walking back to the townhouse.

**

“Okay so what did the asshat tell you?” Kendall asks over Facetime. “I’ll kick his ass when he comes back to L.A. I’ll even kick CC’s ass for going with him. And I’m sure Andy will be right there with me. You’ve always had a special spot in his heart since the moment Ashley brought you around.”

“Andy is like a little brother I didn’t want.” I chuckle. “And as for Ashley, he asked if I was serious about Douglas and asked what I saw in him.”

“Douglas isn’t like any of the guys you’ve dated or hooked up with.” She does note. “I mean they’ve always had tattoos out the ass, have been musicians and lived the type of lifestyle you’ve always lead. Douglas is an English actor who just so happens to be playing your Godfather in a movie.”

“He’s just so amazing and when he kisses me, I feel like the only girl in the world.” I dreamily sigh. “God I sound like some preppy bitch with a high school crush.”

“You’re happy.” Kendall smiles. “It’s nice to see you glowing. Being in love looks great on you.”

“But it seems like Ashley will always be the voice in the back of my mind, making me second guess this whole thing.” I sigh, running my fingers through my hair. “I don’t know what to do about that.”

“Fuck Ashley.” She sighs. “He doesn’t deserve you. And you deserve so much more than what he’s willing to give you. Douglas is the ticket to your happy ever after. Don’t ever second that, Nikkole.”

I’m about to open my mouth when I hear my phone going off. It’s a New Orleans number, but it’s not saved in my phone. Going against my better judgment, I answer it.

“Nik…” Gunner’s voice comes through the line. “We fucked up.”

I groan, earning a look from Kendall. “What did you do Sixx?”

“We got arrested.” He softly says. “We got in a fight...with Ashley.”

“You’re fucked.” I tell him. “Why should I go down there to bail your asses out?”

“Because Douglas got arrested two despite not fighting.” Gunner sighs. “Please Nikki?” His whine is what’s going to win this.

“You’re lucky I love you guys.” I sigh before pulling my phone away and look at my computer screen. “I’ve gotta go bail people out of jail. Talk later?”

“Later Nik.”

I hang up with Gunner once I knew which police station they are in. I grab my keys and head out the door. They have some serious explaining to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: I Don't Believe in Love by Queensrÿche

This is the playlist for the story. This playlist features all the songs I've used for chapter titles. The only one I could add was Mama Forgive Me by Porcelain Black because it's not on spotify. This playlist will be updated as I update the story. I might do this for my other fics as well.

comment&subscribe? What do you think should happen next?