Status: Work in Progress

Sun-Kissed

The Incident

A week went by and Owen and I still weren’t talking. I hung out with Justin every day. He introduced me to his band friends. There was Aaron, the trumpet player; Petra the tenor sax player; and Margot the snare player, everyone called her Mouse because she was so quiet and, well, mousy. Justin also played the snare drum. They were amazing people. As soon as Justin brought me around, they accepted me no questions asked. On Friday was the first football game of the season. Everyone was filled with Eagle spirit, but me, I knew that the one guy I didn’t want to talk to was on that team and it made me want to crawl into the sewer than see him play a game where everyone is cheering him on. But Justin and my new friends were all in the band and also playing at the game and they wanted me to come and see them.
The game was filled with more electric energy than I had ever felt before. I brought Robbie with me, just in case of an Owen run-in. I asked him a couple of days later if he really didn’t follow Owen as I asked. As soon as I asked I knew that he had lied to me. He told me that he did follow Owen, but nothing physical happened. He yelled at him for about fifteen minutes outside of his house. He told me Owen stood there and didn’t say anything.
When we got to the football game, we sat close to the band. They were still setting up so I was able to quickly introduce them to Robbie. Something happened when I introduced Petra to Robbie. I could feel this energy between them. I think they liked each other. Petra is a really nice girl and would be very good for Robbie. She’s tall but not taller than Robbie with long brown hair that was a little curly and a very fair skin complexion. She was peppy, a little nerdy, but super sweet. I got kind of excited when there were sparks between the two of them.
“What was that girl’s name again?” Robbie asked.
“Which one?” I asked, to play it off like I didn’t notice.
“The one with the freckles,” he explained.
“Ahh, that’s Petra. She’s cool.”
“Really? Is she single?”
“I don’t know for sure. I’ve only known her a week.”
“Can you find out for me?” He was still looking towards her every other question.
“Yeah, sure.”
The game began, and if I’m being honest, I couldn’t take my eyes off of number twenty-two: Owen Arnolds. It didn’t matter how he treated me, I was still obsessed with him. I couldn’t help it. He was the first guy I ever dated seriously and kind of fell in love with. It seemed weird to be talking about love only three months into a relationship, but it also seemed like the only word that fits.
The Shoreline Eagles easily defeated their opponents the Buccaneers from some school I had never even heard of. Owen is an amazing player. He caught two balls and ran them to the endzone for touchdowns. Robbie and I were just about to leave when Justin stopped us.
“Hey, so my friends and I have this tradition where we go to the diner around the corner and have pancakes after the games, but no one can come this week because they all have too much homework to do. Anyway, I didn’t want to break the tradition so I was wondering if you guys would come with me.”
I looked at Robbie as if to ask if he could go. It sounded like fun and I wanted to go.
“Damn, I have this chemistry quiz on Monday. I really have to study for it,” answered Robbie. “But you guys should go. You can take Danny home after, right Justin?”
“Yeah, sure,” Justin replied.
I took Robbie to the side a couple of feet and started to whisper to him. “What’re you doing?”
“Helping you get over Owen,” he whispered back. “Justin seems nice. Go with him.”
“I’m going to kill you. You’re not even taking chemistry this year.” He shrugged and then walked off. I walked back to Justin. “Pancakes?”
“Let’s go.”
He changed out of his band uniform in the back of his car and we walked to the diner. Hughes Diner was this mom and pop diner that was literally around the corner from the school. It was quaint and almost felt like you were walking into someone’s home to have breakfast. The waitress behind the counter recognized Justin and said hello to him by name. She walked us to a table in the back and gave us menus.
“Anything to drink for you boys?” She asked.
“I’ll have a Coke,” Justin answered.
“Can I have a root beer?” I asked.
“One Coke and one root beer coming right up,” she said.
“Thanks, Jenny,” said Justin as she walked away. “So what did you think of your first football game at Shoreline?”
“It was my first football game ever.”
“Really? You didn’t go to any at your old school?”
“Not really. They were kind of for the popular kids only. I heard once that a couple of guys from the computer club tried to go to a game once and they got nacho cheese thrown on them.”
“Damn that’s rough. At Shoreline pretty much everyone attends the football games. It might as well be mandatory.”
“Well, I guess we won, so it was good right?”
“Yeah totally, but we’re used to that at Shoreline. We almost won state championship last year, but we lost by two points.”
“Well, that sucks.”
We both fell silent, but this time the silence was awkward. It wasn’t a bad awkward. It was just awkward. It ended when Jenny came back with our drinks. Justin ordered pancakes for the both of us and I got a side of bacon. Justin told me it was a good choice. Then Justin finally said what we were both thinking.
“Why is this so awkward?”
I let out a sigh of relief. “I have no clue. I was wondering the same thing.” I took a pause. “Maybe...it...feels like ah...a date.”
“Oh,” he blushed. “Maybe it does.” There was silence again. “What if it was?”
“Oh, um…”
“If you’re not ready. I know it’s only been a week since you broke it off with Owen.”
“I like you, Justin, but...yeah I don’t think I’m totally over Owen yet.”
“That’s cool. I mean, he’s super hot.”
I smiled. “That’s not why I’m not over him, Justin.”
“Then why? He was a complete jerk to you,” he said in a concerned tone.
“Yeah, which is why I broke up with him. But, for three months he was amazing. We took each other on dates. We watched movies at each other’s houses. We went to the beach. It was probably the best summer of my life.”
“Wow, that does sound amazing. I’m sorry. I just think you’re awesome and I don’t see why you’re letting Owen Arnolds get you down.”
“Aren’t you his friend?” I asked.
“We know each other and we’re friendly, but I wouldn’t say we hang out in the same circles.”
Our pancakes came and both of us were too preoccupied with devouring our meals to really make any conversation. I have to say that those were some of the best pancakes I’ve ever had. I shared my bacon with Justin. I saw him eyeing them and I couldn’t consciously deprive anyone of bacon. That would have been cruel. Just as we were finishing, I got a text from my mom asking where I was. I had told her about my new friend Justin. When I said I was with him, she calmed down told me to have fun.
When we were done, I was going to split the check with Justin, but he insisted on treating me. He said that my first time at Hughes shouldn’t be ruined by having to pay. I thanked him and we headed out. It was a beautiful night but it was getting cold and I didn’t bring a jacket. I think Justin saw me getting cold. He took off his hoodie and gave it to me. It was a Shoreline Prep hoodie.
“Are you sure?” I asked.
“Yeah, I don’t really need it anyway. I run warm.”
It was a super sweet gesture. Even though I was still kind of hung up on Owen, I had to admit that Justin was being very charming. I was smart enough to know that he was definitely trying to win me over, but I didn’t really mind all that much.
Justin dropped me back at my house safely, but it wasn’t until I got into my room and plopped myself onto my bed that I realized that I was still wearing his sweater. I looked out my window, which faced the front of the house, to see if he was still there by any chance, but he wasn’t. I got out my phone to text him.
“I still have your sweater.”
“No worries,” he replied. “Just keep it for me until Monday.”
Justin’s sweater fit just right. We were about the same size. I lay in my bed, still wearing it. I brought my hands up to my nose and I sniffed the sleeves. It smelled like him. It made me smile.

On Monday, I was in the quad waiting for Justin when Owen walked up to me. He looked kind of depressed for someone whose team just won their first game of the season. His hair was messy and his eyes looked puffy.
“Hey,” he said, with barely any energy.
“Hi,” I replied.
“What’s up?” he asked.
“Oh I’m-” I was cut off because Justin walked up. “Hey, Justin.”
“Hey, how was your weekend?”
“Great,” I said as I handed him back his sweater. “Thanks for letting me borrow this.”
“No problem. You were cold. Anyway, I gotta get to the library to meet my lab partner.”
He walked away.
“What was that?” Owen asked.
“Oh, we went to this diner Friday night after the game and had pancakes. When we were walking back, it got cold so Justin let me wear his sweater,” I explained.
“Oh, that’s right. He and his friends all go after every game, right?”
“Yeah, but they couldn’t come so it was just me and him.”
“Oh, well, isn’t he chivalrous.”
“You jealous, Owen?”
He looked around nervously. “N-No,” he stammered.
“Right, so when you’re ready to be open and honest with me, then you can come and talk to me. But until them, you have no right to be jealous.” I started to walk away.
“Danny, wait.”
I turned back around.
“Cody is having a party this weekend. His parents are going out of town. You should come.”
I sighed because I knew he was trying. “I’ll see if I can.”
“And Danny...Just you.”
“I’m not coming alone, Owen. So if you want me to come, I’m bringing someone.”
“Okay then, Robbie. Just not Justin.”
I nodded and then left.

* * *

“What kind of game is he playing?” asked Robbie. This time, he was pacing in my room. “Why would I come? You should take Justin just to fuck with him.”
“I don’t know. That seems cruel. That’s not me.”
“Come on! Grow some balls. The guy was so shitty to you.”
“I know, Robbie. I was there.” I sighed. “I don’t blame Owen for being scared.”
“I don’t blame him for being scared either. I blame him for breaking your heart, which I specifically told him not to do.” He paused. “The truth is, I can’t come with you. I have a family thing that night. It’s my tia’s birthday.”
“Well, I’m not going to take Justin. That’ll just make things worse. I guess I’ll go alone.”
“I really don’t like that idea. Maybe you should just sit this one out.”
“As much of an asshole Owen was to me, I don’t think he would let anything serious happen to me. It just a party. What’s the worse that can happen? Everyone gets super drunk and sloppy? That’s the point isn’t it?”

The week past and Saturday came. I told my mom that I was going with Robbie and his family to his tia’s birthday. Cody’s house was actually not too far from my house. The walk was about an hour long. It was nice out, so I welcomed the time to think. I was able to think about how I really feel about Owen, and whether or not he’s really worth all of the trouble I’m going through. I didn’t really come to any conclusion, other than I still have a lot of complicated feelings for him that I wish would be as simple as “he burned me so I’m over him.”
When I got to Cody’s house, I knew that it was the place just by everyone hanging around outside, smoking and drinking. There was also a couple of guys tossing a football in the front yard. I avoided them by speeding past as fast as I could. I had to push past a couple making out to get inside. It seemed that the party had been going on for a while before I even got there. I started to walk around to look for Owen. It was difficult because everyone looked the same, there was loud music, and it was kind of dark. I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around it was Owen. His eyes were glossy and his hair was frazzled.
“H-Hey Danny.” Owen was drunk.
“Hi, Owen. Did you ask me here just to get drunk?”
“Isn’t that what you d-do at parties?” He let out a big burp. It smelled like beer.
I shook my head and made my way upstairs to find a bathroom. That’s when I ran into Cody. The last person I ever wanted to run into. I could tell that he was obviously drunk. He saw me and made a funny face. It seemed like he was confused.
“What the fuck are you doing here?”
“Looking for the bathroom,” I answered.
“No, what f-fuck are you doing at my party.” He shoved my shoulder, but he lost his balance. He caught himself before he fell.
“Owen invited me.”
“Owen? What the fuck man.”
He grabbed my arm and I was too weak, even while he was drunk, to pull away. He dragged me into what I could only guess was his room. It was a mess, it stank like old socks, and there was a ton of football stuff everywhere. He threw me down to the floor and closed the door behind him. He hunched over above me.
“You listen to me, you little faggot. Stay away from Owen. He isn’t like you. He’s not gonna let you suck his dick. So you need to back the fuck off.”
I stood up and right in front of him. “Cody, you have no clue what Owen is like. Now back the fuck up and let me go.”
He pushed me again, but this time I landed on the bed. He jumped on top of me and pinned me to the bed. He started by punching the side of my face and then changed to head-on. Eventually, I couldn’t even feel it anymore, until I felt my nose break. That’s when he switched from my face to my ribs. It all seemed like it happened over half an hour, but it probably lasted about two minutes. That is until it got worse.
I was too weak to do anything to stop him from doing whatever he wanted to me, and that’s exactly what he did. The last thing I remember was him turning me over and pulling my pants down. He kept muttering things that I couldn’t understand. I heard spitting and suddenly he was pushing his way inside of me. The beating was the most painful thing I’d ever felt, until this. He pushed my head down into the bed so I couldn’t scream, but I don’t think I could even if I tried because everything hurt so much. After that, all I remember is waking up face down on the floor in front of Cody’s room. It hurt to breathe. I could hear the music still playing. I tried to get up, but I could barely move. I could taste blood. I felt people walking back and forth past me until I heard my name.
“Danny! Danny!”
The voice seemed muffled to me, but I knew it was being yelled. I also knew it had to be Owen because he was the only at the party who knew me. I felt him touch my back and pain shot through my entire body.
“Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck...What the fuck do I do?”
There was a pause and then someone else came. There was a different voice. It was a girl’s voice.
“Oh my god. What the fuck happened? Who is that?”
“It’s Danny, my...friend. I don’t know. I just came up here and found him like this.” I could hear tears in his voice.
“Shit, call 911,” said the female voice.
There was a pause and then I heard Owen on the phone with 911. His voice was shaking and nervous. After that, I must have blacked out again because I woke up again in the hospital. I had an oxygen mask over and face, tubes in my arm. I turned to my right to see my mom pacing the room and my dad sitting in the chair next to me. This is the first time I’ve seen them together since they separated. He had his eyes closed and his hands together against his face in a praying position. I moved slightly and my mom jumped to my side which as made my dad jump.
“Mijo! Gracias a Dios you’re awake,” exclaimed my mom.
“Easy, he’s just waking up,” said my dad.
I started to cry and I felt my dad hold my hand, which he has never done in his entire life, even when I was a child. Seeing my parents there together, made me so comfortable that, when I was done crying, I was able to fall back asleep comfortably. This time it wasn’t from just blacking out. This time, it was from pure exhaustion. I was safe.