‹ Prequel: Starry Eyes
Sequel: Power Over Me

Devil with Angel Eyes

Now and then I think of when we were together

“So what did you and Doug talk about last night?” Nikki asks as we walk to the cab after a grueling flight to Nashville. Thankfully both us wanted to sleep rather than talk. “You seemed pretty upset when you left.”

“Who would you be more jealous of; a man that has been in your girl’s life that has shared many ‘firsts’ with him or the guy that your girl has known for 10 years and jokes around with her but has never tried anything?”

“You’re trying to figure out why Doug is more jealous of Danny than Gunner?”

“I’ve spent all 27 years of my life loving your son; he really is my other half.” I sigh. “Danny is just a friend. He’s been that way for ten years. We never looked at each other in that way. Sure Ben has tried to hook us up, but fuck. Danny and I both know we would be terrible for each other; hence the whole ex-wife/husband bullshit we do.”

“Doug probably sees the fact you and Gunner have run your course.” Nikki shrugs. “While he sees that you and Danny have unexplored potential.” I open my mouth to interject but Nikki quickly silences me. “I know you and Danny don’t see each other that way; but Doug doesn’t see that. He sees a guy that could potentially steal you from him. Danny knows your life better than Doug; he lives the life. Danny can easily keep up with you while Doug has only truly experienced your life because he played me in a movie.”

“I don’t want someone that lives the same lifestyle I live.” I admit aloud. “I’m sick of people assuming I want someone that can ‘keep up with me.’ I don’t. I want someone that can calm me down.” Nikki looks at me with a shocked expression. “Yea, the daughter of Tommy fucking Lee wants to settle down; shocker.”

“I’m proud of you.” Nikki smiles as a cab pulls up to us. “If I settled down at your age, I wouldn’t have been clinically dead for two minutes.”

“I really thought Doug was going to be the one to make an honest woman of me.” A humorless chuckle escapes my lips as Nikki throws his and my luggage in the trunk. “Was I stupid to think I could get a happily ever after?”

“You deserve the world, Nikkole.” Nikki says with a serious tone. “He’s a good kid; maybe one day he’ll open his eyes and see what he had right in front of him.”

**

“Who do you keep texting?” Nikki asks as we wait in the random bar he decided to set this meeting up at. “Because obviously they are more important than the second most important man in your life.”

“Gunner’s not here.” I look up from my phone, smirking at the man in front of me. Nikki just rolls his eyes before throwing a peanut at me. “I’m texting my favorite Brit.”

“What does Ben want?” He asks. “And why is he texting you now? Weren’t you just in L.A? He could have talked to you then.”

“Yea but Kenny was always around.” I reply.

“God, Nik. Don’t tell me you’re fucking your best female friend’s boyfriend.”

“Fuck no.” I make a face. “Like ew; no. Ben is like the older brother I don’t have and never wanted. Just ew; why would you even go there?”

“Where else was my mind supposed to go?”

“Ben is asking Kenny to marry him.” I inform the bass player. “He’s texting me because his bandmates, especially Danny, all have big mouths and can’t keep a secret.”

“So how is he going to pop the question?”

“Can’t tell you.” I smirk. “I’m sworn to secrecy.”

“You’re a good friend.” Nikki smiles as we hear the doors open. He perks up and his smile grows bigger. “Oh you’re here! About time.”

“I hope I didn’t keep you guys waiting too long.” A voice behind me says. I turn around and see such a gorgeous tattooed man behind me. He has kind eyes and a gentle face. His dirty blonde hair is hidden partially by a beanie. He’s not in that hipster sort of way. “Evander Gray, this is the girl you’re going to keep out of trouble. This is my goddaughter, Nikkole Lee aka Nikki Lovey.”

Evander’s smile grows as he extends his hand out towards me. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Nikkole.” His voice is smooth like velvet. I gladly shake his hand. “Nikki has told me all about you.”

“Good things I hope.”

“Only the best.” Evander smiles. “It’s going to be a pleasure working with you on this tour. I seriously can’t wait.”

“You know you’ll be having to deal with me partying with Machine Gun Kelly, right?” I question him. “He’s one of my best friends; it’s hard to keep us out of trouble when we are together.”

“I always welcome a challenge.” He smirks, causing a smirk of my own to form. This’ll be a fun tour… I can just tell..

FWD 3 days

“How the fuck did I just find out about this?” Danny asks after him and Ben crash my rehearsal for my first real show. “And why does Nik know more than me?”

“Because I can keep a secret.” I reply to the Brit. “I’ve known for awhile now. And I’ve helped him get to this point.”

“I’m supposed to be your best friend.” Danny whines.

“But you have a big mouth.” Ben whines back, mocking his best friend and bandmate. “Plus Nik always knew Kenny better than you.”

“Sorry Danny.” I sweetly smile at him before turning to Ben. “Alright, so what’s the plan?”

“You know the song The Rain Song by Zeppelin right?”

“Yea, it’s your ringtone on Kenny’s phone.”

“Can you sing that song?” He asks. “I want to ask her to marry me while we’re down here for your first concert.”

“You want to hijack her first actually concert to propose to your girlfriend?” Danny questions him. “That’s harsh bro. This should be Nik’s moment.”

“I know,” Ben sighs. “But a small club is the perfect settling and I wouldn’t be asking this if it wasn’t a big event. So please, Nik? Think about it?”

“It’ll do it.” I smile at him. “It’s you and Kenny; I would love to be part of this. So of course I’ll do it. I’ll work it into my music; it could be the last song I play.”

“Thank you, thank you!” The Brit exclaims as he tackles me to the group and kisses my cheek. “You have no idea how happy I am right now.”

“Just remember,you hurt her down the road; I’ll castrate you. Got it?” I threaten.

“Got it.” He smiles despite the very serious threat I just gave him.
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye.

comment&subscribe?

Image
Evander Gray, ladies and gents. He's going to be important, just wait. Any guesses how he ties into the story?