Like You Did Before

81: Home?

Letting her eyes flutter open sleepily, Matilda blinked a couple of times before she felt her lips curve upwards, her stare landing on Iker who was settled in the seat beside her bed, talking softly to the baby in his arms. She had seen it before. On countless occasions since Lola had arrived, and a handful of times since her little brother had arrived the previous night, Matilda had been greeted by the sight of Iker and their children, but she knew that it would never stop making her smile, especially since a tiny part of her had doubted that she would have the opportunity to see it again. She had been terrified. When Iker had left her room the previous night, Matilda had been genuinely worried that the next time she saw him, he’d tell her that he couldn’t see a future for them, and whilst she knew that they weren’t completely out of the woods yet, any lingering doubt that she might have had had disappeared when her eyes had opened and he’d still been sat there, a genuine smile brightening his features.

“Is he OK?” Matilda asked.

Iker nodded, still smiling down at the baby. “He’s perfect” he said.

Matilda let out a soft huff of laughter. “What I meant is, is he hungry or anything?” she clarified.

Iker spared her a slightly sheepish look before he shook his head. “I don’t think so” he said “He’s not grumbling or anything. How long has it been since he had a feed?” he asked.

Matilda leant out of bed to pick up her phone before she settled back against her pillow, a slight grimace on her face. “It’s about nine now” she said “And I remember him waking me at about six thirty, so he’s probably due one pretty soon. Do you want me to take him now?” she asked.

Iker hesitated for a second, something which caused Matilda’s lips to quirk, before he gently passed the baby over to her. Settling back into his chair, he watched Matilda with the baby until the comfortable silence that had settled around them was broken by the buzzing of Matilda’s phone on the mattress. Leaning forwards, he collected it before he lifted it up, showing Matilda her mother’s name on the screen. “Answer it” she said.

“You can’t do it?” Iker asked.

“My hands are a little full” Matilda replied, gesturing to the baby.

Iker sighed, nodding his head reluctantly, before he accepted the call. “Mattie’s phone” he chirped “How can I help you?” he added.

“You’re not my daughter” Adrienne quipped impishly.

Iker let out a slightly nervous laugh. “I am not” he confirmed “She’s a little busy right now. Did you need something?” he asked.

“Not me” Adrienne replied “I have a little girl here that really wants to talk to her mama and papa. Can we make this a video call?” she pressed.

“Of course” Iker replied “Is Lola OK?” he asked, sinking down onto the side of Matilda’s bed as Adrienne’s face filled the screen of the phone.

“She’s been a little tearful” Adrienne replied “She wants you two, and she doesn’t quite understand why you’re not here, but Luis managed to get a smile out of her when they sat down to play a little while ago and I promised I would call you so that she could talk to you. Have you seen the midwife yet?” she asked.

“Mattie’s only just up” Iker replied “But I don’t think it should be too much longer. We need a lift. Can you or Luis…?” he trailed off when Adrienne nodded her head.

“Call when you need us” Adrienne confirmed “But right now, I am going to hand the phone over to Lola. Give Mattie and the baby a kiss from me, OK?” she prodded.

Iker nodded his head dutifully, something which made Adrienne smile at him gently before she handed the phone over, allowing Lola’s face to fill the screen. For a couple of seconds, she frowned at the screen before she recognised Iker, causing her entire face to light up. “Papa” she squeaked happily.

“Hi, baby” Iker cooed in reply “I’m so happy to see you. Are you OK?” he asked.

“Mama?” Lola asked.

Iker glanced over his shoulder, wordlessly checking with Matilda that it was OK for him to move the camera, before he shuffled a little closer to her, getting them both in the frame. “Here’s mama, Lola” he said.

Lola grinned again. “Mama” she said “Home?” she asked.

“Not quite yet, baby” Matilda replied “But soon. You need to stay with nana and grandpa for a little longer, OK?” she added.

Lola frowned, something which caused Iker to place the phone into Matilda’s hand before he turned around, gently collecting the baby from Matilda’s arms. Settling him into his arms, he nodded at Matilda who adjusted the camera, showing the baby off to Lola. “Do you remember when we talked about a baby coming?” Iker asked gently “We told you that you were going to have a brother or a sister. Do you remember mama’s round tummy?” he asked.

Lola nodded her head. “Baby?” she prodded.

Iker couldn’t stop himself from smiling as he nodded his head. “Baby” he confirmed.

“Baby home?” Lola asked.

“He’ll be coming home, too” Matilda confirmed “But it’s still going to be a little while. We love you, and we have missed you so much, and we will all go home as soon as we can, OK?” she asked, smiling at the camera.

“Lola, can you say something for me?” Iker chirped, urging Matilda to turn the camera back towards him “Can you say ‘Max’ for me?” he prodded.

Matilda shook her head, trying, and failing, to hide her smile. “I told you” she mumbled “It was just a name I had in my head. We can...”

“Lola, say Max for me” Iker spoke over Matilda, flashing her an impish grin.

“Max” Lola said.

Iker nodded his head, still smiling to himself. Lola had said something that sounded more like ‘Mac’ than ‘Max’, but he had still adored hearing her say it. “Thank you, baby” he said gently “We will see you really, really soon, OK? I love you” he added.

Lola babbled a little in reply, but when Iker and Matilda waved at her, she waved back before Adrienne slipped the phone out of her grasp and ended the call. Iker placed Matilda’s phone back onto the cabinet beside the bed before he leant down, pressing a soft kiss to the baby’s forehead. “Max, it is” he murmured.