Can’t Look Away

91: No More Waiting

“I thought you were helping your papa”

Leila, who’d been holding Sasha’s stare, blinked a couple of times at the sound of her mother’s voice before she looked over at her, nodding her head sheepishly. It hadn’t surprised her. When she had been told what was happening, she had always assumed that there’d be a lot of effort made to keep her, Lionel and Sasha apart, but whilst she understood why it was, it did sting. It was her little sister’s wedding day, and whilst she was grateful that she was even there, she hated knowing that she wouldn’t be welcome in the room to help her get ready. Before everything that had happened, before Olivier and Lionel, it was something she couldn’t have imagined missing.

“I am” Leila confirmed “He asked me to bring this up for you. He said you’d freak out if you lost it” she added, showing off the hat she held.

Carina scoffed before she padded across the room, taking the hat out of Leila’s hands.

The room was quiet for a few moments before Leila turned towards the door, something Sasha stopped with a soft cough. “Leila” she said.

Leila hesitated for a beat before she turned around. “Sasha...”

“I’m glad that you’re here” Sasha interrupted softly “I want you to know that. I know it’s probably not easy, but, I am so happy that you made it. It means a lot to me” she added with a small smile.

It hadn’t disappeared. As soon as Sasha’s eyes had landed on her sister, the familiar lump of tension had grown in her throat, and but it didn’t change the fact that she was glad that she was there. Their relationship had changed beyond repair. As much as Leila ahd tried to make amends after she had discovered her pregnancy, it hadn’t done anything to remove the air of suspicion that Sasha now looked at her with, but they were still sisters, and as awkward as things were, it meant an awful lot to Sasha that Leila had shown up on what was one of the most important days of her life.

Leila shook her head, shyly pushing her hair back off of her face. “It means a lot to me that you want me here” she said “I mean, you couldn’t be blamed for not” she added.

The soft smile that Sasha wore flinched slightly, something which caused Leila to let out a rueful laugh. “I should get out of here before I really put my foot in it” she mused “Congrats, Sasha” she added.

“Thank you” Sasha replied softly.

Leila offered her one last smile before she left the room. It was quiet for a moment after she left, neither Carina or Cassie knew quite what to say to Sasha, but the silence was broken when another woman popped her head out of the bathroom, a polite smile on her face. “Is the bride ready?” she asked.

“Yes” Cassie’s voice was relieved “She is. Sasha, this is Margo. She’s a friend of my sister-in-law’s cousin. Margo, this is Sasha, the bride-to-be” she added.

Sasha, who’d been staring after her sister, turned around, greeting Margo with a polite smile. “It’s nice to meet you” she mused.

“You too” Margo replied “Are you ready to get started?” she added excitedly.

Sasha’s slightly dazed expression cleared, giving way to a bright, excited smile. “Yes, I am” she confirmed.

~#~
“Your papa is going to meet you just inside of the house”

Sasha smiled softly, watching her mother as she flitted around her, smoothing out wrinkles in the wedding dress that only she could see. She knew why she was doing it. If Carina stopped fussing for a moment and took a step back to really look at her, then Sasha had not doubt that her eyes would fill with tears that wouldn’t stop coming, and she was content to let her put it off, knowing that as soon as her mother started crying, there was a good chance she would to.

It had been slow to sink in. Despite several references to her as the ‘bride’, the idea that she was only a short walk away from walking up the aisle hadn’t hit her until she had pulled on the dress she had chosen months previous, and she was having a hard time keeping it together. She still couldn’t quite believe what Lionel had been able to pull off without her knowing.

“Is James going to help Ivy up the aisle?” Sasha asked.

“Ellie is” Carina replied, reaching up to adjust a slightly wayward pin in Sasha’s hair “Your brother is in charge of filming it” she added.

“You didn’t hire someone to make a video of it?” Sasha prodded.

“Of course we did” Carina said “James is making the home video version. The other one will be edited, but this one will be as is. I have one of your brother and your sister’s weddings” she added.

Sasha thought about saying something, but was stopped when Cassie ducked back into the room. “Carina, you need to go and find your seat” she said.

Carina’s hands stilled before she reluctantly pulled them away from Sasha and took a step back, her eyes misting over as she marvelled at her daughter. “My baby” she whispered.

Sasha’s smile was wobbly. “How do I look?” she asked.

Carina huffed out a sniffled laugh. “Beautiful” she replied “So, breathtakingly beautiful. You look perfect, peanut” she added.

Sasha let out a loud, sniffled laugh. “You made papa promise not to call me that while we’re walking, didn’t you?” she pressed “It’ll make me cry before I even get to the vows” she added.

Carina smiled softly before she pushed herself up onto her toes, kissing Sasha’s cheek gently. “I love you” she cooed “And I am happy for you. I’m very proud of you, too” she added.

“Thank you, mama” Sasha mused “For everything” she added.

Carina dabbed her eyes a couple more times before she stepped past Cassie, making her way out of the door.

“You ready?” Cassie prodded, offering out the bouquet of flowers she held in her hands towards Sasha.

“How is Leo doing?” Sasha asked, taking the flowers.

Cassie padded around Sasha, gently lifting the train of her dress before they started to make their way through the house. “He’s good” she answered “Arlo is taking up a lot of his attention, which has stopped him pacing. You should have seen him just after you got home. He didn’t quite know whether to smile or panic” she added warmly.

Sasha smiled at the thought of Lionel pacing.

“You OK after seeing your sister earlier?” Cassie prodded.

Sasha nodded without hesitation. “I’m glad she’s here” she mused “Though, if she tries to object, I am expecting you to tackle her. Pregnant or not. You know I would do it for you” she added impishly.

Cassie laughed. “You’d tackle Aiden’s ex at my wedding?” she asked.

“You’re thinking about marrying Aiden?” Sasha countered with a smirk over her shoulder.

Cassie’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink before she rolled her eyes. “Let’s focus on one wedding at a time, eh?” she prodded “You can interrogate me after you and Lionel finally make it up the aisle” she added.

“I will hold you to that” Sasha quipped before she turned around, finding her father stood in front of her, his eyes a little misty.

“Am I up?” Cassie asked.

Eddie blinked before he smiled, nodding his head. “You are” he confirmed.

Cassie stepped around Sasha, leaning over to kiss her cheek and offer her a few warm words, before she walked out of the back door, leaving Sasha and her father alone. Eddie took a second to just marvel at her before he made a show of offering her his arm, something which made Sasha giggle before she weaved her arm through his. Eddie waited for a second, waiting for Sasha to nod her head, before they started to walk. Sasha heard the sounds of people standing up underneath the music that accompanied her walk. She heard soft gasps and adoring whispers, but she didn’t look up until her father tugged her to a stop, allowing her to glance up at Lionel who looked down at her, his smile the warmest she had ever seen it.

After Eddie had kissed her cheek and shook Lionel’s hand, he stepped away, allowing Lionel to duck his head towards Sasha’s ear. “No more waiting?” he asked quietly.

Sasha beamed up at him. “No more waiting” she confirmed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony for the comment :)