‹ Prequel: Stand By Me
Status: Active ♥

Hold My Hand

Eighteen

The next few days were rough for Taylor, what with Mrs. Caswell’s funeral and her relationship with Kelly on the rocks. Sat in the rec room, she stared into her half-empty cup of coffee and glanced up as someone touched her shoulder.

“What’s going on?” Matt asked, taking a seat and looking at her expectantly.

“It’s nothing.”

“Tay...”

“Would it be okay if I stayed with you for a little while?”

“Of course, you know that you’re always welcome,” Matt told her, “Everything okay?”

“Honestly, I don’t know,” Taylor mumbled with a shrug, “Things with Kelly are strained, Renee is always around and I don’t know where I fit into that scenario.”

“You know that Kelly loves you.”

“I’m not sure anymore,” Taylor admitted, fighting back tears, “He’s due to come home in a couple of days and I just need time to clear my head.”

With a nod, Matt went to check that everyone had done their jobs and Taylor started on dinner. The alarm ringing put everything on hold and the crew jumped on the rig, preparing for whatever they were heading into.

Taylor spotted the woman as soon as she stepped onto the street, dangling eight stories above the sidewalk and only getting weaker.

“Taylor,” Boden said, returning from where he’d been talking to the police, “I want you to harness up.”

It wasn’t long before she had the harness on and was standing on the rooftop, watching as Tony did the final checks.

“You’re good to go,” Tony stated.

Carefully, Taylor lowered herself over the edge of the building and slowly made her way down to where the lady was hanging.

“I don’t know how much longer I can hold on,” the lady told her, fear and panic in her voice.

Despite needing to take it easy, Taylor also knew that time was of the essence and took a deep breath to steady her nerves. She had just reached the woman, when the sign she’d been holding onto shifted and her grip slipped.

Everything from that moment on seemed to happen in slow motion, but Taylor’s effort to catch the woman was futile and she stopped her rapid descent as the woman hit the ground. Frozen in place, Taylor was snapped from her shock by someone pulling on her line and she joined the other’s back up top.

“She’s alive at the moment, but it’s not looking good...” Aaron informed her as she leaned against the rig a while later.

It wasn’t long, before everyone was gathered in a group and Boden made the decision that Taylor should go home. Not wanting to be alone, she collected her stuff from her locker and headed over to the hospital.

“Hey there, firestarter,” Will greeted with a smile as he pulled her into a hug, “Aren’t you supposed to be on shift?”

“I was,” Taylor stated, “Will you do me a favor?”

“Anything for you.”

“A lady was brought in earlier from a call, any chance you could see how she’s doing for me?”

Will opened his mouth to no doubt argue, but quickly closed it again and reluctantly nodded. He was only gone for a few minutes, before he returned and Taylor knew from his face that the woman was dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥