Status: Work in progress

Where Did You Come From?

Breath of Fresh Air

Greg Nicotero, special effects makeup artist extraordinar.. was holding a sign for me when I got off the plane that afternoon. His shoulder length blondish hair was framing his face and with his graying beard- reminded me of Willie Nelson.

"Kid... you are a life saver. I literally didn't know what to do. What we do here takes a certain... finesse... if you will. We have been struggling with two people banging out forty to fifty walkers plus main cast for over a week. This morning one of our people suggested you might be free. Showed me your Instagram where you said you wrapped.... we got lucky." He spoke fast, then breathed deep, pulling me into a hug. I smiled, hugging him back. "God girl I havent seen you since what.... Rob Zombies Halloween?"

"Happy death day i think...." I replied and he nodded.

"No one can kill em like you kid..." he chuckled, grabbing my bags. "Let's get going. We are shooting all night- wanna hop right in?"

I nodded and he smirked. I knew my work ethic is why he chose me every time he had a project. Hes always ready for me to be his number two. He offered me the Walking Dead gig years ago but I had signed a contract with American Horror Story for five years which wrapped two days prior. He caught me at a great time.

"You been keeping up with the show?" He asked as we settled into the car and he began driving out of the city and I shrugged.

"Would you kill me if I said I haven't watched one single episode?" I asked as he frowned. "I've caught bits and pieces thru the years but I've been pretty busy with....." my voice cracked and he nodded quietly, holding my hand for a moment. "Can I smoke in here?" I asked as he nodded.

"Well you should familiarize yourself with the material. Its your homework. We shoot tonight. Off till Monday evening. Rains coming we shoot all outside for next three weeks."

"Ok... ok...." I replied. "I'll watch it eventually...." I smirked as he went heavy on the gas, turning up the music and flying down backroads as the sun set.

******************************************************

The set was set up pretty generally. We parked by the trailers, people were everywhere running around like chickens with their heads cut off. There was a huge tent with side walls set up, a line of people standing outside of it and Greg sighed as he stared.

"See the trailer right in front of us?" He asked and I nodded. "Go wait for me in there. The big line is extras and I have to go put zombies together with my team. Unless...." he smirked at me and I nodded, already aware I was about to earn my keep.

"Lets go Nico..." I chuckled. "I'm here to do your dark bidding..."

*So glad I hired you!" He exclaimed as we got out of the car and headed into the tent. Inside was four makeup stations- complete with everything you could desire. A girl in her twenties with dark hair was working on two extras at once while a guy in his thirties did the same.

"Greg!" The both cried in unison as we walked in. "We need help!" The girl exclaimed as he sighed, pointing to a station and nodding to me.

"Guys, this is Danielle. D, this is Thomas and Becca. She is gonna be working with us- the one I told you about." He said matter-of-factly as they nodded, flashing me smiles as I motioned for an extra to come in and sit down. "Dani I need ten really rotten zombies for a close up. Face, chest, arms. Go nuts. Be gross." He told me, patting my back as I nodded and he left, muttering under his breath.

*********************************************************

Six hours had passed and the stations were being cleaned up. I hadn't spoken much with Thomas or Becca but between the three of us we got the job done. They were talking quietly to each other as I stepped out into the night air, enjoying the cool breeze on my bare arms. I pulled a cigarette out of my pack and shoved it between my lips, feeling my pants for a lighter and falling short.

"Need a light?" I heard from the darkness, looking up to see a man with dark eyes and long hair come out from between the trailers, cross bow on his back. I nodded as he approached me, lighting his lighter and holding the flame up to my face. "Norman." He said, holding out his hand. I shook it, smiling at him.

"Danielle." I replied as he nodded.

"I know. I follow your Instagram. You are hella talented." He smirked out of the corner of his mouth, looking down at the dirt as my eyes locked on his.

"Thanks." I replied. "You play Daryll right?" I asked and he nodded.

"Watch the show?" He asked and I shook my head. "What?! Come on!" He exclaimed as I giggled at his response. "Now thats just wrong."

"Apparently its my homework this weekend...." I offered as he chuckled. "Nico is a real hardass when it comes to source material."

"I didn't know he hired you till I saw the walkers out there. Then I saw the puss zombies and I was like... shit. She's here!" He smirked...throwing his cigarette into the grass. "Made me wanna puke..." His eyes shined with amusement as they locked onto mine and it made my heart race.

"I'll try harder next time...." I shot back, keeping his gaze with my own.

"Reedus!" We heard someone hollering from beyond the trailers and it broke our banter. He kept his eyes locked on me till they hollered again.. "Shit...I gotta go shoot. It was nice meeting you..." he waved, cutting thru the trailers and into the darkness. There is just something... about him.. I thought as I stomped out my cigarette and went back inside the makeup tent.