Past or Future?

Chapter XXXI -I Quit-

"Let's be clear, what exactly are we?" I mused as Joville twirled a strand of my hair staring in space.

"You know I would go for the girlfriend label but I don't think you'd like that"

"I'm your girlfriend" I sighed dreamily.

"Yes, do you want to share this in the family dinner or is it too soon?" Joville cautiously asked giving me a peck on the lips.

"It's all right for me, I haven't introduced someone to my parents for a while. But let's just keep it low in the shop, can we?"

Joville nodded "Anything you want love as long as you're comfortable with it. You don't know how long I waited for this to happen and I don't want to fuck it up"

I flicked Joville's nose gently "Language you idiot, anyway how did we do? Are the decorations enough or there might still be things lacking?"

"The house looks merry enough, what do you plan to cook for the family dinner?" Joville laid down and placed her head on my lap looking up.

"My mom would bring her homemade ribs, that is one of my favorites from her dishes. The meat is so soft and the taste is so divine. I would be making some chocolate mousse for desert, some Greek salad, creamy mushroom soup and mashed potatoes. Do you have any requests?" I smiled down at Joville stroking her cheek.

"One of my favorites is the red velvet cake, can you substitute that to the mousse? The color gives off a christmassy vibe"

"Great thinking, red velvet it is" I smiled "Oh, I almost forgot. We are gonna have a meeting tomorrow after work about where were gonna spend our staff Christmas party"

"We have those? Do we have a budget of some kind?"

"Mr. Blossom said there will be a budget but the location is ours to make as well as what were gonna do and stuff"

"Cool middle aged man" Joville hooted.

***

I gathered them all at the office and closed the door. Dan and Reese were talking non-stop, Joville winked at me and sat with Jane. We have been casual just like we always did before but this time there were flirty glances at each other. I sat on beside Dan and began.

"So guys, any ideas where we're gonna spend our party?"

"Can't we just have a bonus or something and no more parties?" Jane commented uninterested.

"Sorry Jane, Mr. Blossom instructed me for us to have our own party. He wants documentation and details on where and what we did. No escaping that" I shrugged.

"We could have drinks at the bar?" Reese tried.

"You alcoholic bastard" I slapped him playfully "Anyone else have better ideas?"

"We could rent a karaoke room and then get drunk" Reese tried again.

"Okay, not bad. Anything else?" I looked at Joville.

She shrugged "Maybe we can have a grill somewhere, eat barbecue and beer?"

I nodded, I moved my elbow and tugged Dan at my side "What about you?"

"Ehhh.. how about that carnival I was talking to you about? The one we went on" he looked at Reese.

Reese's face became slightly red, uh oh, I can sense the curiosity and questions coming from the girls.

Three.

Two.

"You went to the carnival together?" Jane's voice became a bit higher than usual.

Dan looked surprised from her outburst "Yes, we did. Sometime ago, why are you so interested?"

"You never told me anything, why?" Jane looked so intense not batting an eyelash.

"Calm yoself Jane, it's not my duty to tell you everything that's been going on in my life. I know we're close but still, there are boundaries and also, you're not my girlfriend so quit acting like one"

The room was dead silent, neither of us three talking. I looked at Joville, slightly, she shook her head indicating not to say anything, I clamped my mouth. Reese was sending nervous glances at Dan, not knowing what to say.

"You never did care Dan, I was always the one who was there for you. Have you been brainwashed by that bitch??" Jane looked at me, fury visible in her eyes.

My eyes widened with her accusation, irritation crawling on my nerves. I opened my mouth but Joville glared at me.

"Leave Art out of this. As all of you may have noticed Art and me became closer together. That's because there are things in this world be both understand in the same view. So quit yapping Jane, you're just getting yourself in trouble" Dan crossed his arms on his chest.

"So what are you Dan? Is Artemis your girlfriend now? Are you dating? Is that why you became distant with me the past few weeks?" Jane stood in front of him.

Dan scoffed "What gave you that idea? Why are you so interested in my life? Do you have some kind of motive?"

"It's because I like you Dan! I liked you for a long time but never had the courage to say it out loud because I knew all along that you never saw me the same way" Jane shouted with fury, her eyes streaming with tears.

When did this meeting become an open forum? Are we letting our feelings out now? All of our eyes widened at Jane's confession. It was like watching a live drama but sadly, this is real life and the issues are scarily undeniable.

"You can enjoy all the party you want because this is my last day. I. Quit." Jane threw her cap and apron heavily on the floor and stormed out of the room. Hurriedly I stood up "Jane! Wait! WAIT!" I followed her out of the shop, grabbing her arm and forcefully spinning her around to face me. "Don't make such rash decisions Jane, there's always room for an apology" I tried to soothe her. Jane removed my grip "I. Fucking. Quit." she turned her back on me and walked briskly on the pavement.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Cuties! Please recommend and subscribe if you enjoyed reading. Share your thoughts on the comments section in this chapter. It helps me improve and motivates me to write more.

Thank you! Stay Safe :)
xoxo