Past or Future?

Chapter V -Loss-

I tugged at Atlas' leash, it was a warm evening and I wanted to stretch my legs. Walking to the direction of the park my thoughts were scattered, one minute it's on work and the tasks that I still need to do the next it's on Joville and then on Jella and then my hunger.

Sigh, what is wrong with me. It's a beautiful night and I should embrace nature and escape reality for a bit. The flower tree appeared at my sight and I knew we were close, the park was a big open space with a playground for kids, trees were healthy and full of leaves, bushes trimmed professionally and grass mowed regularly. Joggers were circling in, couples seated on benches, some having their own romantic moment sitting near the creek, and also like me walking their pets to enjoy the serene atmosphere.

I walked the pathway for a bit until I decided to rest in one of the benches near the playground, I gave some water to Atlas then drinking some myself. I relaxed and stretched my legs looking around, a person caught my eyes sitting in one of the swings.

She's wearing a sleeveless black dress with matching black heels, her head's looking down and she's holding a white rose. I debated with myself but eventually the angel won and I decided to walk towards her. Atlas looked at me and obeyed immediately. Taking cautious steps the person looked up, it was Jella! With red puffy eyes, she looked pretty just like she used to be. I rested Atlas at the side and kneeled in front of her.

"Hey, Jella what's wrong? you look like a damsel in distress" she smiled timidly and looked down again

"She's gone" her voice was full of pain and sadness

"Oh" it was all I could manage, from the looks of it I know who it already is

"Last night, she died of heart failure due to smoking, I tried stopping her years ago but she wouldn't listen, you saw that before and I know you also wanted help her but she was so damn hard headed" tears were now visible on Jella's eyes, I grabbed my spare handkerchief and wiped it gently

"It's okay, I'm here, where's Ruby?" gently I rubbed her knee

"She was at the funeral earlier, gave her condolences and said goodbye, we broke up two years ago" Jella wiped her face with my handkerchief

"I'm so sorry to hear that, I know it was very hard for you and I'm sorry I wasn't at the funeral"

"It's okay, you didn't even know. She missed you, there are random times she would ask me how you were doing and when you were gonna visit" Jella looked at her fingers and then on me.

I felt a pang in my chest, I've met her grandmother a long time ago and she was a very warm and welcoming woman, she made me feel like I was part of the family. The smoking part was true, I knew how bad that thing could kill you because my grandfather did it. Thankfully I was not influenced myself.

"My mom also looked for you you know, she asked me the same thing where were you and why you weren't visiting, are you okay, how are things this and that and whenever she did there was a pain in my chest because she remembers you and it was hurting me lying with answers" I looked at the flower touching the petals remembering the times my mom would ask and I would make an excuse each time until eventually she stopped asking.

Jella placed her arm on my shoulders and planted her head in mine, her fingers lingering in my cheek, a habit she was used to doing. We stayed like that in silence feeling the moment lost in memories. It was getting quieter now, the park slowly receding with people.

"We should probably go now" I slowly stood up breaking the silence

"Thank you" Jella held both of her hands for me to help her stand up "for always being there and making me feel everything is all right"

"I wasn't always there" Atlas saw our actions and stood up as well

"You try to be and I'm thankful for that"

"You know how supportive I am and besides, a beautiful lady in black is not always a sight you see. Now, wipe that forlorn face it doesn't go with the look"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Cuties! Please recommend and subscribe if you enjoyed reading. Share your thoughts on the comments section in this chapter. It helps me improve and motivates me to write more.

Thank you! Stay Safe :)
xoxo