So to Hell with Good Intentions

Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide

...2018; The American Nightmare music video

“So what made you want to be a makeup artist?” Spencer questions me as he leans up against the doorframe leading into the makeup trailer. “Especially since you specialize in horror movies.”

“Thirteen Ghost kinda made me fall for the art of special effects makeup.” I rely as I empty my kit onto my table. “I did a censored version of The Angry Princess for Halloween one year. Chris said it looked impressive, especially since I did it all by myself on my own body. It’s been history since.”

“Favorite horror movie of all time?” He asks, coming into the trailer more and taking a seat in the chair.

“Are you this talkative with all the makeup artists that work on your music videos?” I smirk at him.

“Not usually.” He shrugs. “But it's not everyday that I get to work with October Valentine. You’re not just some makeup artist that my friend suggested. You’ve worked on big movies in the horror industry.”

“You really are a fanboy.” I laugh. “But to answer your question, my favorite movie of all time has to be either Thirteen Ghosts or My Bloody Valentine.”

“Newer or Classic?”

“I’m assuming you’re asking for both movies.”

“The fact you know there is an older version of Thirteen Ghosts is extremely attractive.” He admits with a chuckle.

“I haven’t seen the original for Thirteen Ghosts but that’s because it doesn’t have Matthew Lillard in it so it’s not worth my while at the moment. And I can honestly say the original My Bloody Valentine was better. But honestly I only watch the newer one because of Jensen Ackles. I’m a huge fan of him.”

“I’m surprised. I thought you’d pick movies like Scream or Halloween.”

“I aim to keep people on their toes.” I giggle. “Ok, since you’re here we can talk about your vision for your version of Freddy. How do you want him to look?”

**

“So what are you doing besides working on music videos with us?” Spencer asks after I start sketching up ideas for him quickly.

“Working on a movie.” I reply, not bothering to look up at him.

“Are you going to tell me which movie?” His tone is playful and childlike, which is funny.

“Why are you being so nosy?”

“Just making conversation.” He throws his hands up in defense. “If it’s a crappy horror movie, just say it.”

“It’s It: Chapter Two.” I reply. “I’m reprising my role as their lead makeup artist. Shitty part about that job is that I’m the one that mainly works on Pennywise’s look.”

“Not a fan of clowns?” Spencer laughs

I look up at him, eyes narrowing into a deathly glare. “I was either 7 or 8 when I saw the original for the first time. I’ve been terrified of clowns since. All my friends know this and torture me with this information. I had a friend blindfold me and take me to the fucking clown motel.”

“Fuck, that’s harsh.” He admits. “I’d never do that to you. To be honest, your fear of clowns is something I’ll take to the grave and never use against you.”

“Thanks Spencer.” I smile just as a PA comes rushing in.

“Spencer, you’re needed on set.” She informs the lead singer.

Spencer lets out a dramatic sigh before looking up at me. “Until next time, darling?”

“Until next time, Spence.”

**

“How is Ice Nine Kills treating you?” Chris asks over the phone. “More importantly, how is Spencer treating you?”

“Like gentlemen.” I reply. “They’re actually pretty awesome guys. Especially Spencer.”

“Not bad for a band that you barely tolerated.” Chris chuckles. “So how long are you going to be there?”

“Maybe a week or two?” I reply. “We’re working on the videos on a schedule that works with my schedule for work.”

“The life and times of a famous special effects makeup artist.” He muses. “What movie are you working on this time.”

“It: Chapter 2.”

“I thought you were terrified of clowns. Why the fuck would you work on a movie that’s a reboot of the movie that made you terrified of clowns?”

“Because I worked on the first one and working with Bill Skarsgard isn’t horrible.”

“He scared the piss out of you on the first movie, didn’t he?”

“He’s so unsettlingly as Pennywise.” I tell my cousin. “Like gave me nightmares, unsettlingly. I almost didn't want to go back. But I never back down from a challenge. Like the current challenge I’m experiencing.”

“Just don’t burn yourself out, please.” Chris pleads with me. “I know you’re doing this as a favor to me and Spencer but it’s not worth it if you can’t have fun.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t push myself.” I reassure my overprotective cousin. “Plus it’s gonna be fun because of Spencer, he’s something else.”

“Don’t do it.” He warns me.

“Don’t do what?”

“Fall for a lead singer in a band…”

“Are you sure you’re just saying that because you guys are friends?” I laugh. “But don’t worry, there is no romantic love between us. We just share an unbreakable bond because of our love of horror movies.”

“I know you, Toby. I know how hard you fall for something and the type of guy you fall for.”

“Relax, Chris. I don’t plan on falling in love with Spencer Charnas. I promise.”

“When you do fall for him I’ll be the first one to say I told you so.”

I roll my eyes. “Whatever you say, Chris. Whatever you say…”
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Savages by Ice Nine Kills

comment&subscribe?

Look at me writing and shit! Still looking for characters if you are interested.