One Night Stands

Lips Like Morphine

I've given up on love.

No one was gonna change that.

"Nicole get out of the house" Tarra said looking at me.

"You get out of the house" I answered grumpily.

"I do get out of the house. Unlike you who for the past month have only left the house to go to work"

"Maybe I don't want to leave the house" I said looking back at the TV where Tom & Jerry was currently playing.

"Not everyone is gonna hurt you like Mark-"

"Don't say that name" I snapped standing up "I have to go to work" I added, grabbing my converse and pulling them on "or I'm gonna be late again"

"Fine. Do what you want, just ignore and block everyone out." Tarra said throwing her hands in the air, in annoyance.

"I'm planning on it" I said pulling on my hoodie.

"You know Nicole, not everyone is gonna stick around and watch you self destruct forever" Tarra said sighing.

"Then I must not be that important" I said looking at her before walking out the door.

It had been like this for the past month. Ever since I had caught my now ex-boyfriend cheating on me for what must of been the 12 dozenth time. I should have listened to Tarra all the times she had told me I should of broke up with him. The last time I had finally snapped. I stopped eating, hanging out my friends, doing anything but sit at home and go to work really. Tarra was the only one of my friends who still tried to cheer me up and get me out of the house.

When I finally got to work I sighed. The cafe I worked at was empty except for Emily.

"Finally Nicole" she said sighing "I have to leave and James said I couldn't leave until you got here"

"Sorry Em" I said softly as she walked past me.

"Whatever" she answered walking out the door.

Emily had been one of my first friends to give up on me weeks ago.

I took my place behind the counter, turned on the stereo and pulled out the book I kept by the cash register.

Kill Hannah's song 'Lips Like Morphine' started to play and I heard the bell telling me someone had entered the cafe ring.

I looked up and was stunned. Standing there looking around was Mat Devine.

His eyes fell on me and he smiled "Nice song" he stated walking over to the counter where I was standing.

I looked at him a moment. He was just another guy, who just happened to have a nice voice. What really made him any different from Mark?

"Is there something I can get you?" I asked.

"Just a plain coffee" he answered sitting down in one of the stools.

I turned to make his drink.

"You know" he said causing me to look back at him again. He had his chin resting in his hand, fingers covering his mouth and was looking at me. "this is the first time in a while a girl has not freaked out at the sight of me."

"You're just another guy" I said shrugging and put a lid on his drink.

"That hurts" he said placing his hand over his heart and pouting.

I looked at him a moment. He was so much more handsome in person.

"What would you rather me say?" I asked "That I want to rape you?"

Mat smiled. "I wouldn't mind"

I rolled my eyes "You are just like all the other guys I know"

"Let me prove you wrong" he said holding his hand out.

I just looked at him a moment then placed my own hand in his. He took my hand wrote 7 numbers on it, then pulled on my hand so I ran into him.

"Not all guys are scum, I'll prove it" he said softly in my ear. "Call me when you get the chance." the cupped my face in his hands and kissed me softly.

He placed a 10 dollar bill on the counter, grabbed his coffee and left. I stared after him stunned.

Tarra was Never gonna believe this.