Waverly Hills

Waverly Hills-Chapter 5

Things got better at Waverly Hills.
I got used to the schedule, and what to do everyday.
I met new people, and they seemed just as happy to be here.
James and I got more along with each, and I became best friends with Annie.
A few weeks went by, and it was now in December.
Things got more joyous and merry there, because Christmas was coming up, and there was a Christmas party to be held there on Christmas Eve.
The children were happy because it was snowing outside, and to my surprise, they were actually let outside to play in the snow, even though it was freezing cold.
Annie and I actually went to go play too, throwing snowballs at each other, and laughing so hard we couldn't breath.
As we were throwing them at each other, a snowball came up and hit me right in the back.
Startled, I turned around, wondering who it was. I knew that it wasn't Annie because she was right in front of me.
When I turned around, I smiled because standing there laughing was James, and I knew that it was him.
I then playfully tackled him in the snow, and we both fell on each other.
I looked at him, smiling because his face was all wet with snow.
He looked right back at me.
And then, we got closer and closer to each other, our lips a hair's length away.
Right when they were about to meet, "What are you all doing? Your going to freeze your butts off if you stay down there!" Annie exclaimed jokingly.
We laughed and quickly got up.
Everyone was heading inside the building, some still laughing, some people glum because they had to leave.
I didn't mind. My fingers were getting frostbitten anyway.

Finally, to me and Annie's delight, it was finally Christmas Eve.
The cafeteria was already decorated up with Christmas lights, the tables had red and green covers on them, and Christmas confetti too.
Candles were setted beside the windows, making a beautiful glow in the cafeteria and out through the windows.
But, the best of all was a beautiful Christmas tree sat in the corner, ornaments on them and presents underneath the tree.
Annie and I were in both of our rooms, putting on our dresses for the dance.
I was wearing my beautiful blue gown that my mom had bought for me right before I left.
It was a silk dress, that had short see through sleeves.
There were tiny blue matching rhinestones on the chest area.
My hair was neatly fashioned in brown curly locks, and i had a blue bow in it.
And my shoes were just simple ballerina type shoes.
I looked at myself in the mirror, to see if I looked healthy and pretty.
I didn't know why I wanted to look pretty, I just did.
Maybe it was because it was a dance, and every girl had to look pretty.
Or maybe, it was because of James.
I quickly erased the thought out of my mind.
I didn't want to impress James, he was just a friend.
I looked at my figure, and noticed that my legs and my arms were very thin and bony.
It was because I knew that one of the symptoms of tuberculosis was weight loss.
It pained me to see myself this way, but I knew that I had it, and there was nothing I could do about it.
I turned off the lights, and opened the door, out into the hallway.
Barely anybody was in there because they were already down in the cafeteria. It was just me and Annie.
I turned towards Annie to see how she looked.
I smiled at how beautiful she looked.
Her hair was curled just like mine, but it was in a ponytail.
Her dress was a light purple, with no sleeves, the chest part went down in a U shape, and her shoes were just like mine.
"Well, are you ready?" she asked. She had been waiting for me.
I smiled. “Hold on.” I said, as I kneeled down under my bed to grab something.
When I finally felt two objects under the bed, I grabbed them, coming back up from the bed carrying two presents.
I laid the presents down and dusted myself off.
Then, I picked them back up and looked at Annie, seeing that she had a present in her hand too.
“Now, I am ready.” I finally said as we both linked arms and walked down towards the cafeteria.

When we walked in the double doors that led into the cafeteria, Christmas music filled our ears.
Some people had already started dancing together, others sitting at the tables either talking or eating.
Basically, it looked like everyone was having a good time.
“So…” Annie started to say. “Where do you think he is?”
I knew who she was talking about, and I shrugged, looking for him.
We walked farther into the cafeteria, being careful we didn’t run into anybody, when we suddenly saw a familiar figure standing in the corner, putting a present under the Christmas tree.
I smiled as me and Annie rushed over to him.
“What are you doing?” I asked jokingly as he jolted up, startled.
Annie and I laughed as he stuttered a reply, “Uh…n-nothing.”
I then put my two presents under the tree, as did Annie.
When we were finished, the three of us went towards the food to have each of us a Christmas dinner.
When we had gotten our food, we sat at one of the tables and ate.
Thinking about how skinny I had gotten, I had tried to get as much food as I could manage.
While we ate, we watched the couples dance on the dance floor to the song, “I’ll Be Home for Christmas”.
After I had finished my food, I saw a ray of delight in James’s face as he got up from the table and walked over to my side.
I looked up at him curiously.
Then, James held out his hand in front of me, and asked, “May I have this dance?”
I looked at him in startlement, then gladly took his hand into mine, and stood up in front of him.
As he walked to the floor, I turned towards Annie.
For some reason, I saw a hint of sadness in her face as I walked away from her.
Maybe she is lonely, I thought to myself.
I wished someone would go to her, and like he had read my mind, and handsome blonde boy came up beside Annie, asking her what James had asked me.
I smiled as James turned me around so that I faced him.
He held my hand, and put his other hand around my waist.
I then put my free hand on his shoulder, the way everyone does when they dance.
The song playing at that moment was, “Have Yourself A Merry Christmas” and it fitted the mood since it was a slow song.
I looked up at James, who smiled shyly at me.
“Well, this is awkward, huh?” he asked.
I smiled amusingly. “No, not really.” I replied.
He looked at me surprisingly and smiled joyfully.
While I looked at him, I noticed how cute his smile was.
His smile was simple and little, but it was big enough to show his white teeth.
I then looked up at his eyes.
They were more of a hazel than a brown, and I loved how they went with his black hair.
I suddenly felt myself tranced onto his face, as he led me to the slow rhythmic music.
Do I like him? I asked myself. I didn’t have a reason not to, and it seemed that he liked me. But, every time I thought about liking him, my mind quickly brushed it off. Why was that? I mean, I think I like him….no, I know I like him.
I like him! I smiled at the thought, and James smiled back at me, like he knew what I was smiling about.
I then, unhesitant, rested my head onto his chest, and laid it there as we kept dancing to the slow song.
I loved how his chest was so muscularly formed, even though he did have tuberculosis.
It seemed impossible to think that he did, even though I knew he did because had heard him coughing a couple of times in the night, and little splotches, that you could hardly see, started to form on his face.
But, his face stayed handsome, to my eyes.
I looked at Annie, who was dancing right beside us, and she was dancing with the boy.
I knew that she was having fun, but I could still a slight patch of glum in her face, and I wondered why.
But I quickly thought less about it, as the song changed to a fast jazzy Christmas song that made me jump as James gripped my hand tighter as we danced with the music.
I looked down at my feet and it looked like a blur to me, showing how fast we were going.
I screamed in delight, as James laughed happily.
I turned towards Annie and she seemed just as happy as I was, having the blonde haired boy’s hand in hers as they danced the same rhythm as me and James did.
It seemed like forever when the song finally stopped, and me and James sat back down at our table.
I looked at Annie, who had stopped also, and was standing next to the boy as he whispered something in her ear, and then gave her a kiss on the cheek.
I smiled, happy for her as she walked towards us and sat down at the table also.
I was huffing and puffing out of breath, tired from the song, and I saw that Annie was also.
James was still holding my hand, and actually, I let him keep on holding it.
I liked him, and he liked me, and I felt happy about it.
“So, everyone having a blast?” James asked as me and Annie nodded in delight.
And, I thought to myself, this might actually be the best night I have had since I have stayed here.
In fact, it will probably be the only best night I will have.
But, I didn’t care. I just thought about James, and Annie, and wished that everyday could be like this.