Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

. . .Partner

After proper introductions were made Thraxx felt inclined to express his thoughts of having a partner.

"I don't need one."

Oooooookay then. Lets see what Edgar does with this one.

"It is not a question of need, Thraxx. Lord Vaunders wanted a second bodyguard. You work for him, so unless you are planning to quit in the near future, though I hope you wont, this matter is closed."

He certainly likes to snip things in the butt, doesn't he?

Thraxx twitched in his seat. He wanted to argue, I could see that he wanted to. The war between the dominate Werewolf that didn't like being told what to do and the Human that wanted to hang onto his job. Two very tough opponents. I saw his fists clench around the arms of the chairs and wondered if he'd just break the arms off. He took a deep breathe, held it, and as he let it out his muscles slowly relaxed. And the Human is the winner!

He gave Edgar a curt nod and stood, "Is that all then?"

Edgar looked at me, "Did you have any questions, Ms. Hartley?"

I bit my lip. I did but I doubt I'd like his answer to it. "Well, Solomon didn't get the chance to show me where my room was before the fi-ahh the uh moment we ran into Thraxx."

Oops. . I wasn't planning on telling him about the fight with Jax. Fighting on your first day of a new job couldn't look good to your employer. Thraxx's lips widened into a smug little smile.

Jerk.

Edgar's face hardened and his body fell motionless, "Before what?" He asked in a very quiet voice.

"We- " Was all I was able to get out before Thraxx cut me off.

"She got into a fight with Jax."

My jaw dropped a little. How dare he!

"Ms. Hartley?" Edgar urged me to explain while looking at my knuckles. Damn.

"Well, you see," I started, "Jax is a little insecure about me being in the position I am in and felt the need to challenge me over it."

"Did he throw the first hit?" Edgar asked.

Crap.

"Technically. . ." I hedged.

"No." I admitted before adding hastily, "But he made the challenge before I did anything. so I mean he started it."

Wow. 'He started it'. Could I really not think of something better than the 5 year old's reasoning?

Edgar's face was still held no emotion. "Did you win?"

Knowing I was going to get in trouble I ducked my head sheepishly, "Yeah."

To my surprise it wasn't a tongue-lashing I got but a soft chuckle instead. My eyes flew up to meet Edgar's. There was nothing but amusement in them. I blew out a silent sigh of relief.

"Well Thraxx, it seems like you've got a new fighter for your pack."

Thraxx and I both stilled at his words. Pack? I've never been in an actual pack before. Hell I've only ran into one and that was the pack of the one who turned me. To say it was a less than desirable visit was putting it mildly. I haven't even met all of the pack members or seen them on the full moon. I have to know all the facts before I consider whether or not I want to join their pack or not.

"We'll see how the next full moon goes." Was all Thraxx said.

"And what if i don't want to join your pack? I don't remember anyone asking me if I wanted to join. I've gone without a pack this far, why should I need one now?"

"Don't be ridiculous." Thraxx said, "You are female."

My eyes instantly narrowed, "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Everything." Edgar interjected, "Ms. Hartley be - "

"You can call me Marlee or Hartley, saying 'Ms.' all the time makes me fell weird."

"Marlee," Edgar amended. "Because you are the only female Werewolf now under employment of the Lord it would be safer if you joined the pack here and created a place within it for yourself. Packs look after all of it's members, even if they don't treat each other equally. If you choose not to join, the pack will see you as either a threat and hunt you or open game for hormone enraged males that will make a competition out of who can mate with you first."

Was that supposed to convince me? Who wants to be the only female in a pack of 'hormone enraged males'? Certainly not me. But I knew better than to say that so instead I told them what they wanted to hear.

"I'll think about it then."

Edgar relaxed back into his chair with a nod, "Good. Thraxx if you'd show Marlee to her new room please. It's the one on the other side of the Lord's."

Thraxx nodded stiffly and turned, wrenched the door opened at left without a word. I just stared after him not making a move to follow.

A sigh from behind me had me turning to Edgar again.

He motioned to the door with his hand, "You'd better hurry."

I nodded and waved Good-bye before running out the door to catch up with Thraxx.
This walk should be interesting.
♠ ♠ ♠
I Need Unique Guy Names! Please Any Suggestions Will Be Welcomed.

Oh! And I Just Noticed That I've Got My Second Star So That's Why I'm Posting In Celebration. I Like To Earn My Credit So That Second Star Means A Lot To Me. Thank You Guys!