Adventures in Babysitting

Chapter Nineteen: Broken

Chapter Nineteen: Broken

I ran as fast as I could down all of the roads. All the way down Hill Street, to Halsey Street, down to the corner of Pearl. I looked around frantically. She had to be here somewhere. i mean, if the police station’s on Williams, then she couldn’t have gotten far. Right?

Right. I looked around the heavy darkness. No sign of Adele. Where the hell could she be? Obviously she’s lost if she’s not near here. Maybe she’s just hiding in the police station. Who knows. I sure as hell don’t.

I opened my cell phone to look at the time. Five minutes to midnight. I’m worried. I started looking for Adele almost an hour ago, and I still haven’t found one sign of her. I’m scared. What if she’s hurt? What if she’s crying? Or what if Marc got her?

At that moment, my phone started to vibrate in my hand. The caller ID showed up after the second buzz. It was Gerard. I clicked the green button and brought the metal to my ear. “Hello?”

“Where the fuck are you?” Gee asked. I sighed. I really should have left a note or something. Leaving like that was too melodramatic.

“Adele’s missing from the station Gee,” I told him, holding the sobs in. I still sounded scared though. But that was the last thing on my mind.

“Are you fucking kidding?!” Gee exclaimed. Silence fell over us. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay,” I replied. I looked behind me quickly. I felt like I was being watched.

“I’m coming to find you,” he said, “I want to help.”

“No Gerard,” I replied firmly, “I’m gonna find her myself. I’m the one she’s looking for, so it’s my responsibility.” Silence. “Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.”

Gerard sighed, “You sure about this?”

“Gee, I’ll be-” I was interrupted by the sound of panting and fast moving feet. I looked at the corner sign. The sound of panting turned into whimpering now. I know that sound. It was Adele.

I closed the phone without saying goodbye and ran as fast as I could down the remainder of Pearl Street. I looked down Chapel. I saw her, her blonde hair a bit messy and her emeralds for eyes. Adele.

“Adele!” I screamed her name. She ran to the corner, not even looking at me. She obviously didn’t hear me. “Adele!” I screamed again. She ran to the curb and looked down the road. I started running after her. Something stopped me.

Gun Shots.

I ran faster to Adele. Two shrill shots were fired. Boom! Boom! and Adele was screaming. The tears ran down her face like bullets. She didn’t move from where she was standing. I ran over to her. “Adele,” I cooed. She continued to cry. “Adele, it’s Frankie. I’m here. Don’t worry. I’m here.” i looked her over to make sure she wasn’t hurt. Nothing but a small scrape on her palm.

I hesitantly looked over to the body on the road. Blood was pooling around the lifeless corpse, which was face down. But I knew who it was. I could tell by the hair like Ray’s and the address in his hands. Marc.

“Adele,” I cooed, “It’s okay. I’m here. I’m here.” I pulled her into a hug and stroked her hair. She cried for a while in the street with me. My eyes didn’t move from the corpse. As I continued to hold Adele, I realized it.

Her nightmare had come true...