Feels Just Like We're Losing Control

Chapter 2

Finally, the 5th period bell rang. I looked down at my schedule. Art. My haven. The stress from my first day melted immediately. In first period, where I thought someone would surely sit by me, I was ignored. I had been shoved around so many times that I was beginning to lose feeling in my shoulder.

"Move, fag!"

Yeah, I had completely lost feeling. The only good thing about my day was the fact that none of my old friends had classes with me. I shouldn't be surprised, considering the fact that their IQ was a whopping 42. Last year in eighth grade they had dumped me when they took interest in ass grabbing and football and I headed towards music and art. Truthfully, it hurt to be alone, but it was better than hanging out with airhead dweebs like they were.

The bell rand, causing me to swear under my breath and run to the art room at the end of the hallway. The art teacher just pointed to an empty seat at the back of the room when I came in late. I didn't see anyone at the table with two chairs, and I instantly felt the familiar pang of loneliness. As I walked down the aisle, I started to feel sick. To my surprise, a gorgeous redhead sat up in one of the seats. She put a pencil on the table, and I realized that she had been sitting there the whole time. She had just dropped her pencil. She smiled at me, making her green eyes sparkle even more.

I sat down beside her and smiled back. The teacher hushed the noisy chatter of the class and introduced herself as Mrs. Mosley. She started to make the monotonous speech every teacher makes on the first day of school. I watched Hayley out of the corner of my eye. Man, from a one to ten, she was a 40. The teacher finished talking in a half hour, leaving the rest of the hour to free draw. And talk.

"I'm Hayley," my partner said, extending her hand.

"Rob," I told her, taking it.

"Are you a freshman?" she asked, looking down to color her Sponge Bob doodle.

"Yeah."

"I'm a sophomore," she informed me, still coloring.

"Oh."

That's all I knew to say. I awkwardly colored a border on my Jimmy Eat World sign when I heard her gasp.

"You like Jimmy Eat World?" she whispered.

"Yeah, they're awesome."

"I know, right? I heard they're coming in September. Oh, that's next month, right?"

"Yeah," I answered.

"We should go."

"That would be cool. I don't have anyone else to go with."

"I could invite some of my friends to go along. I've only got three close friends, but that's cool with me. Too bad they're juniors."

"That sucks," I mumbled sympathetically.

"For real."

Hayley's gaze dropped to my lips. She stared for a few seconds, and I grew nervous.

"Cool snakebites. Where'd you get that done?" she asked.

"That little tattoo place by the library," I replied.

"Tattoo Safari?"

"That's it. They're great."

She touched her lips and winced.

"Did it hurt?" she asked.

"Ha, yeah. But only for about five minutes. It wasn't excruciating or anything."

"Do you know how much belly button piercings are?" she asked.

"Eh, not really. Probably around $50."

She whistled in surprise and shook her head.

"Nevermind," she mumbled.

"Did you want one? Because if you did, I've got a $20 off coupon you could have."

"Sweet! Well I just got my license, so why don't we go this Saturday?"

Wow. This was great. I was speechless.

"If you're free?" she asked shyly.

"Oh yeah, totally," I answered.

"Coolness. I was going to totally redo my look this weekend."

"Why? You're gorgeous!"

I did not just blurt that out. She was blushing and biting her lip, but smiling with her eyes.

"God. I'm so. So. So. Sorry," I stammered.

"It's...it's all good. Thank you, by the way. I just wanted to put some color in my hair and get my belly button pierced."

"Oh."

I was so embarrassed. My cheeks were on fire, and I wanted to crawl in a hole. The bell rang seconds later, and we stood up.

"What do you have next?" I asked.

"B lunch with Ms. Jack," she read off of her schedule. "You?"

"B lunch with Mrs. Harris."

"Aw. Well, we won't have the same class, but I'll save you a seat," she promised.

"Sweet. See you there."

She smiled and touched my arm before walking up the stairs to her class. She left me in a daze, and I couldn't help but stare at her ass in those skinny jeans. My day had just gotten a whole lot better.