Call Me Crazy

Best Friends?

“Hey, hey, you, you, I don’t like your girlfriend, no way, no way, I think you need a new one…” Alexis and I sang, idiotically skipping down the hallway. Yes, we were singing Avril Lavine. Shoot us. We were going around, notifying people that I was a candidate for homecoming queen. So far we had gotten many positive responses, and only a few telling me to fuck off.

“Hey, you, over there!” Alexis shouted after a group of guys, they turned to us; their mesh shorts hanging past their knees, shiny Adidas sneakers, and sports themed t shirts: jocks.

“Yo, dudes!” I added, stifling a giggle. Today was, and still is proving to be, an interesting day.

“What?” The shortest of the bunch asked. He had short, dark hair, and was wearing a Cubs t-shirt.

“I’m running for homecoming queen,” I started, and put my hand up, signaling them not to interrupt, “And I’m just letting everyone know.”

“And yes we know about Mackenzie,” Alexis added as a tall guy with shaggy brown hair opened his mouth, which he promptly closed.

“So vote for me!” I chirped, feeling insanely stupid.

“Um, ok…” one of the guys said, his response received a chorus of other mumbles from the others before they turned and walked off.

“Do we have to be all positive?” I asked Alexis, whining a bit.

“Uh, yeah,” she stated like it was obvious, “Otherwise they’ll just judge us and think we’re a bunch of deadbeat outcasts. We have to be presentable.”

“Have you been reading your moms etiquette book?” I asked, laughing a bit.

“No,” she said, drawing out the o, a goofy grin plastered on her face. I rolled my eyes. She opened her mouth to speak, but the voice that met my ears was not hers.

“So it’s true, you are running for homecoming queen,” A warm voice came from behind me. I turned around to see Adam, his hair so perfectly out of place.

“See you at lunch,” I heard Alexis say before she turned away, leaving Adam and I together.

“Yeah,” I said, slightly lost in his presence. If only he knew what he does to me.

“You know I’m running for homecoming king,” he informed me. I just nodded. His eyes were that perfect shade of blue, so clear and piercing, one has to wonder what lies beyond their innocence.

“You know, the homecoming queen and king share a dance,” he said, grinning.

“Uh, yeah, I knew that,” I managed to get out without stuttering too much.

“I hope I can count on you winning homecoming queen then,” He said before walking away. I didn’t blame him; I wasn’t the most talkative person at the moment. He wants to dance with me? Wow, I never thought I’d see the day where that would happen. But then, I’m not complaining. I sighed and shook my head. The dance was in two weeks; I had plenty of time to win more votes.

I began to make my way towards the courtyard for lunch. Halfway there, I was stopped again, but this time, it was Ashleigh. In all the rush about homecoming, I had forgotten my initial motive upon my return.

“Homecoming queen?” she asked me, skeptically raising an eyebrow. I sighed.

“I know I’m not pretty enough or popular enough, and I’m defiantly not Mackenzie, but that’s the whole reason I’m doing this in the first place and…” I rambled on, but stopped when I saw Ashleigh grinning like a fool, “What?” I asked.

“I always knew you’d try this out, even if for different reasons,” she said, that grin still playing on her lips.

“What do you mean?” I asked, confused.

“That you’d come to realize how pretty you actually are!” she said, still smiling.

“I’m not though, I’m only competing because I can,” I said. It was partially a lie, for I didn’t want to let her in on my scheme.

“You are! And you so are going to win,” She announced. I let myself smile a bit.

“You always just had this air about you, that even though you didn’t believe in yourself, there was something that made you seem like perfection and beauty,” Ashleigh explained.

“Really?” I asked softly, looking at Ashleigh, her hair was straightened today, hanging loosely past her shoulders. It was blonder than I remembered, but I supposed that was a give in to be a ‘friend’ of Mackenzie.

“Yeah,” she said. Her face turned softer, “I’m so sorry, for everything. I know that I shouldn’t have let Mackenzie take me into her rule, but I just gave in. My other friends weren’t very supportive, and I just messed up so badly. She’s so controlling and I can’t do anything without consulting her first and-“ I cut her off with a hug. I had missed her so much. She was my best friend and my first friend. I could never forget that.

“I’m sorry too,” I said after pulling away. She opened her mouth to protest, but I silenced her with a look, “I meant to solve this as soon as I returned, or at least call you to let you know I was moving back, but I didn’t.”

“You were probably nervous, I can’t blame you,” She replied.

“Yes, I was nervous, but when I saw you on the first day I should have talked to you, instead of shutting you out,” I said, feeling my voice crack a bit.

“It wouldn’t have worked though, Mackenzie would have dragged me away from you,” Ashleigh explained, her eyes beginning to water.

“It wouldn’t have mattered,” I said, “I missed you so much. I missed being able to talk to you about everything. You’re my best friend.”

“Still?” she asked, “After everything?”

“Yes, because some things never change,” I said, smiling a bit.

“Great,” she said, grinning, “Now I can go shopping for a homecoming dress with my best friend.” I giggled.

“Well, I should be getting to lunch,” I explained.

“Ok, I should get going too. I love you sista!” I laughed as she yelled this. People turned to stare, but we ignored it. As I was turning to leave, she yelled one more thing for everyone to hear, “Vote Niki Martin for homecoming queen!”

I felt eyes turn to me as Ashleigh ran off. I smiled a half smile, awkwardly waving, “Yup! What she said!” I said before making my way to lunch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, I've had a bit of writers block, and I'm so sorry this took so long.

And I would like to thank everyone who's commented, I have 5 freaken stars!!!

This was an important chapter, but ever so hard to write, so hopefully it will be easier from here =]

Peace&Love, Erin