Call Me Crazy

Truce?

Staring into the bright stadium lights nearly blinded me as I walked onto the football field along with all the other nominees. The starless night sky hung above me as I waited patiently for my name to be called. It was halftime of the homecoming football game, and my duty, as one of the nominees, was to appear and give a little speech.

“And now moving on to the nominees for homecoming queen,” A voice boomed over the loud speaker. I stood, trying to look alert, as the first girl stepped up to speak. Her voice was small and meek, even with the microphone. A small amount of cheering from the stands was her only response.

The same happened for the other two girls, only a small cheer. I felt bad for them; it looked like they really wanted to win, but either Mackenzie, or I, will take that from them. Mackenzie’s name was called next. I watched as she walked towards the microphone.

“So are ya’ll ready for the dance tomorrow?” She prompted into the mic, resulting in a roar from the student section. I stayed calm. I could still beat her.

“Good,” she replied, satisfied, “We are going to win this game, beat those Eagles, and celebrate tomorrow!” She added, receiving pepped up cheers from our school, and a chorus of boo’s from the opposing team, The Eagles.

“I expect all of you to come to the dance, and vote for me,” She concluded innocently enough, though I knew it was a practically a death threat to vote for her. She stepped back and walked back to where I was, a glint in her eye. My name was called next, and she sent me a glare. One of those, I dare you glares.

I looked straight ahead and smiled up to the crowd, “Hey,” I said into the mic, not exactly sure of what to say. I heard a few people scream loudly, I looked and spotted Alexis and the rest of my friends, wildly cheering.

“Half of you probably don’t know who I am, and the other half know me as that one crazy girl who thinks she can win homecoming queen,” I said with a smile. There were more cheers, “I cant say I’m going to win, we wont know until tomorrow, but I’m here to prove that I can win, to break some social boundaries, and most importantly, I’m going to homecoming to party!”

That got them riled up. Almost the whole crowd was on their feet clapping and cheering. I smiled, “Thank you,” I said, stepping back from the mic. I waited anxiously for the ceremony to finish, and when it finally did, I ran up the bleachers to where Alexis and John were sitting.

“Hey guys,” I said, smiling as Alexis engulfed me in a hug.

“You are so going to win!” she exclaimed, dancing around a bit.

“I really hope I do,” I said nervously, thinking of how tomorrow I would find out.

“You will, I think everyone wants change, and they want you to win; it will be something unexpected and new,” John commented logically. It was starting to become a trait of his. I smiled.

“Where are Ben and Kevin?” I asked, looking around.

“They left after you were done speaking. I think they went to get popcorn,” Alexis explained. I nodded.

“I’m going to go find them,” I said, before waving and walking off. I hadn’t gotten very far when I was pulled aside. I scowled when I saw who it was.

“Um, I thought we were going to pretend each other didn’t exist,” I said, staring at Mackenzie curiously, wondering what she could be up to.

“I never said that,” She said, unusually calm, leading me farther away from the football field.

“But you implied it. I was supposed to back down, and we are supposed to hate each other,” I retorted. She didn’t even flinch. “What do you want?” I added when she didn’t speak.

“You have no idea how much I want to win this,” She stated. I raised my eyebrows. What shit is she trying to pull?

“And you’re telling me this why?” I asked. I was being a bitch, but I didn’t care at this point.

“I’m afraid you’re going to win,” She said sullenly.

“What the hell? So what if I win, you’re still going to be the same person, I’m going to be the same person, so why does it matter,” I shouted.

“Because! I’ve liked Adam forever, and this is my chance to make him see me,” she said, her face turning a bit red.

“I’m sure he already sees you. Everybody does,” I scoffed.

“No, he doesn’t,” She protested.

“Everybody sees you. Everybody worships you. You rule the school. Why should I be sympathizing with you?” I asked bitterly

“Just drop out” she pleaded. I was not going to give in.

“No! You’ve treated me like shit since elementary school. Why would I want to help you win?” I asked; I was pissed.

“OK!” she shrieked, throwing her hands up in the air, “I’m sorry, I’m fucking sorry that I’ve put you through shit—“

“Oh it’s too late for that honey,” I said cutting her off, “You made me miserable that whole time. Saying sorry just isn’t going to cut it.”

“You don’t understand!” she yelled back

“What don’t I understand? That you’re a selfless bitch who made my life a living hell?” I shot at her.

“Did you never realize what I had to go through?” she asked me, her voice low and dangerous. When I didn’t reply, she continued, “My parents fought, I was a mistake, a failure. They’re divorced now, and I live with my mom. I don’t ever feel wanted by her.

“Being a new kid in elementary school made me think that maybe, just maybe people would like me,” She said, the pain of her past leaking through her voice, “I was so used to being unwanted, I didn’t want the same to happen at school.”

Mackenzie looked away and I just stood there stunned. I had to keep reminding myself that this was Mackenzie I was talking to.

“It makes sense,” I found myself saying, “That you’d want popularity,”

Mackenzie sighed, “You know, I still want to win, but I guess I wont hate you if you win. It doesn’t mean Adam won’t notice me. I’ll still have a chance.”

I was a bit skeptical of her sudden change of heart, but I pushed the thought aside. I could deal with Mackenzie if she was like this. I forced a smile.

“So truce?” I asked

“Truce,” she replied softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Um, there's not much to say here today.
I hope I didn't confuse any one too much. I know what's going to happen after this, and I hope I can continue posting chapters regularly =]
Thoughts on the chapter?

Peace&Love, Erin