Close to the Heart

Avoiding Shane

“So, tell me why you’d rather bunk with Tess than your mom?” I asked Mitchie. She shrugged her shoulders.

“She invited me and I couldn’t turn her down,” Mitchie replied.

“Yeah, well your mom is so cool. I’m just glad she allowed me to bunk in with her since you left,” I said. Mitchie laughed.

“She is cool, but why did you leave your room? Isn’t that your own personal cabin?”

“It was until Shane Gray and his oversized ego moved in,” I said.

“He can’t be that bad,” Mitchie said as if she knew Shane her whole life. I rolled my eyes.

“He’s such a drama queen. Mitch, just be glad you don’t know him personally. Sometimes I just want to choke him. But I’m glad to be out of that cabin. These past two weeks have been beautiful.”

“Why haven’t you gone to classes lately? I thought you usually go to the classes your dad teaches.”

“Well, I used to, but I’d rather lounge back and do nothing,” I said completely lying to the girl’s face. Truth was I didn’t want to face Shane ever again, after what happened out in the lake. So, I’ve moved out of the cabin and into this one. He had no idea where I was even at. I stood in most of the day and walked around late at night. Some summer right?

“Anyways, what’d you do today?” I asked.

“Usual. Shane’s teaching us a new choreography and he was surprisingly not as grumpy today,” Mitchie replied. “Well, in the beginning he was, but changed.”

“Have you talk to him any?” I asked.

“I kind of interrupted him while he was writing a song and I told him I liked it,” she replied.

Hm, don’t care about Shane’s stupid song.

“It sounds pretty good, have you heard it?” she asked.

“Nope, don’t really care about his new, lame song. He continuously kept strumming his bloody guitar for a while when I still shared a room with him. But I never paid any attention,” I replied.

“Oh, Barron and Sander mentioned something about how they missed you.”

“Aw, I miss my boys too. They do know they could come here right?”

“I, uh, it sort of slipped my mind. I’m sorry,” Mitchie said.

“Mitchie! Why not? Is it because of who I’m staying with?”

“Yes, I’m sorry. I just really don’t want anybody to ask questions on why you’re staying with the cook.” I sighed.

“So what do you tell them when they start talking about me?” I asked.

“I just hang out with them sometimes. I mainly hang with Tess, Ella and Peggy.” I scoffed.

“I’m going to go find them. Want to come with?” I asked getting off my bed.

“I would, but I got to practice with Tess.”

“You’re going to be her backup groupie again?” I asked as I quickly brushed my hair.

“Yeah, I guess,” she replied quietly.

“I told you before to not hang out with her,” I said as I quickly applied some lip gloss on my lips.

“I know, I know. She’s, well she’s definitely different.” I opened the screen door and stepped outside with Mitchie.

“Yeah, well she’s truly one of a kind,” I replied as the two of us walked out towards the other cabins. “Anyways, I’ll see you later or something.” Mitchie flashed me a smile as I walked over to where Barron and Sander bunk at.

I knocked on the cabin door and heard a faint ‘Come in.’ I opened the screen door and walked in.

“Boys!”

“Bella!” Barron and Sander shouted at the same time.

“I thought you were dead or something,” Barron said which made me laugh.

“Gee, thanks a lot,” I replied as I gave them both hugs.

“Where have you been?” Sander asked as I sat down on his bed.

“I moved out of my cabin and into another,” I replied. Barron laughed.

“Why?”

“One word: Shane,” I said. They both laughed. “Not funny.”

“What did he do to make you move out?” Sander asked.

“He’s just annoying. I wish I would have left sooner, but unfortunately I was being a lazy person,” I said simply.

“But where have you been? You weren’t in any of your dad’s classes or at meals,” Barron said.

“Oh, I’m trying to avoid Shane by all means necessary. I told that Mitchie girl to tell you where I was, but I guess she doesn’t talk to you all that much.”

“We don’t talk to her all that much. Caitlyn does once in a while, but not us.”

“Interesting,” I said as I pushed a stray hair out of my face, “So what are you boys up to?”

“Nothing really. We’ve been practicing a lot for the Final Jam,” Sander said.

“Cool, so you two are finally going to perform this year?” I asked.

“Yep, and we’re going to win. Want to be in it with us?” Barron asked.

“How about no,” I said.

“Come on Bells, you’re so unpatriotic,” Barron said which made Sander and I laugh.

“How is not performing with you two unpatriotic?” I asked after I stopped laughing.

“It just is,” Barron said.

“Well, I’m hungry. Care to get some food with me?” I asked.

“When are you not hungry? Are you planning on breaking into the kitchen again?” Barron asked.

“Of course. I could probably get you guys something good too if you’re not too busy practicing.”

“We’d give up practicing any day to spend time with you,” Barron said standing up. “Ready Sander?”

“How sweet, you make me want to puke sometimes,” I said as Sander and I both stood up.

“And you make me want to get bit by a shark sometimes,” Barron replied as the three of us walked towards the kitchen.

“We can go to Guana Bay and your dream may come true,” I said as we finally reached the kitchen.

“What’s Guana Bay? I thought we were supposed to go to Mexico for our honeymoon,” Barron said which made me laugh out loud.

“It’s a pretty place. I should take you there one day and have a shark attack you,” I said.

“Oh, sweetie. How are you? Did you guys want something to eat?” I turned around and saw Connie Torres standing there with her cooking apron on.

“Hi Mrs. Torres. Sorry to just barge in like this, but I haven’t eaten all day,” I said as she dried her hands on a towel and embraced me into a motherly hug.

“Don’t worry about it. I just made some cookies, would you three care to have a few?” she asked.

“Heck yeah!” Barron said loudly. I elbowed him in his ribs. “I mean, but of course Mrs. T.” She went over to her cooking sheet and grabbed a handful of cookies for the three of us.

“Thanks, Mrs. Torres,” I said as I bit into one of her sweet sugar cookies.

“Got anything else?” Barron asked. I looked over at him and glared. “I mean, these are the bomb ma’am.” Sander laughed.

“I have some leftover tacos from last night, would you care for some of that?” she asked.

“You had tacos last night? I want some tacos!” I replied. This time it was Barron’s turn to give me a ‘look’. He shook his head as Mrs. Torres laughed.

“You know where the stuff is at,” she said, “Or do you want me to have Caitlyn help you out?”

“Caitlyn? As in the camper girl that produces stuff?” I asked.

“Yes, she’s helping out in the kitchen now. I think she’s still around in the back if you want to see her,” Connie said.

“Why is she helping out?” I asked curiously as I bit into my final cookie.

“She threw food at Tess two nights ago,” Sander said as Barron chuckled. “So, your dad made her help out in the kitchen.”

“That was rude of him,” I said, “Everyone knows Tess totally deserves having food thrown at her.”

“I know!” Barron said as he took half of the cookie I had left and shoved it in his mouth. “You said you had tacos left over?” I rolled my eyes as I smiled at Connie and walked into the back of the kitchen. I found some taco shells and grabbed three.

“Go in that refrigerator and get the stuff out,” I said to Barron who was leaning on it.

“This is a refrigerator? It’s bigger than my room,” he exclaimed as he took out taco meat, sliced tomatoes and lettuce.

“Yeah, now go grab some plates that are above you,” I said pointing as I laid out the taco shells.

Barron grabbed three paper plates and laid them out on the counter.

“Anything else boss?” he asked.

“Go warm up this meat,” I said as I handed him a plastic container that contained taco meat. He looked at it, then at me. “Ugh, please.”

“See? Was that so hard?” he said as he took the meat and walked over to the microwave.

“Actually yes, it was. When do I ever say please or thanks to you?” I said to Barron who just laughed.

“I think you hang around Shane too much,” Barron said which made me throw a piece of sliced tomato at him. “Thanks, but I’m not a fan of tomatoes.” The microwave finally beeped and Barron removed the meat from there and handed it to me.

I took a spoon and scooped meat evenly to all three of the taco shells. I then added the tomatoes and lettuce. Barron and Sander both thanked me as they grabbed their plates from the counter.

“You know, this is better than last night,” Sander said as he bit into this taco a second time. Barron nodded his head in agreement. I didn’t care how it tasted last night, seeing as I didn’t have any last night. This was the first real meal I had in about two weeks. I’ve been eating only cookies, chips and cold macaroni and cheese these past weeks.

“This taco is beautiful,” I said as I went back to retrieve another taco shell. I began making myself another taco, and ended up finishing all five of the leftover taco shells.

“Had enough tacos?” Sander asked as I finished up my fifth and final taco. I nodded my head as I started cleaning up the dirty dishes we used.

“You have no idea how great that was. I haven’t had a decent meal in a long time,” I said as I dried my hands on a dish towel.

“And why is that?” Barron said resembling my father greatly, with his arms crossed and his chest puffed out.

“Hello, I’m trying to avoid Shane. Why would I risk going out to see him?” I said.

“Why would you skip meals just to avoid a guy? He’s not that bad. He’s actually a lot nicer now.” I rolled my eyes as I threw the dish towel at Barron and walked out of the kitchen.

Just as I walked out of the kitchen, I bumped into none other than the one guy I was hoping I wouldn’t be seeing for a while.

“Bella!” Shane said. He placed his guitar on the ground and embraced me into a tight hug.

“Uhh, can you let go?” I said leaving my arms down at my sides.

“Where have you been? I was so worried! Your dad didn’t even know where you were!” Shane said. I cocked my eyebrow as he finally released me from his grip. I took a step back.

“I’ve been around,” I said.

“Why’d you move out?” he asked in a whisper, so I barely heard him.

“Because,” I said simply. I looked over at Barron and Sander who were now standing behind Shane. They were both making kissy faces which made me want to grab Shane’s guitar and hit all three of them.

Shane turned around and saw Barron and Sander standing there.

“Hey guys, what’s up?” he said.

“Hey,” they both replied.

“Can I steal Bella away from you two for a little bit?” he asked.

“No,” I said as Barron and Sander both replied “Sure.” I groaned as the two of them both walked off from where Shane and I were both standing.

“Have you been avoiding me or something?” Shane asked. I wanted to lie to him, yet I wanted to tell him the truth.

“Yes, I have.”

“Why?” he asked with a hurt look on his face.

“Because of what happened out in the lake. That was so embarrassing that my dad almost saw us kiss,” I blurted out.

“Are you embarrassed by me or something?” he asked, still with a hurt look on his face.

“No, I just, this is…this is just so awkward. You were my best friend and I don’t want to be in a relationship with my ex-best friend,” I replied. “And I don’t even know what we have anymore. I thought you hated me because I surely hated you just before you came to this camp.”

“You don’t hate me anymore?” he asked.

“Sometimes I do. I needed time to think. That’s why I left the cabin, I needed space.”

“Space for what? You know how I-”

“Yes, Shane. I know your stupid feelings, enough already. I know you have this big, fat crush on me, but you need to move on. I’d rather be with a dolt like Jason, than be with you,” I said. And with that said, I walked away from Shane, again. This time, he didn’t bother chasing after me. Smart boy, I was in no mood for him today.

I walked back into my cabin and sat on my bed. I didn’t feel one bit bad for telling Shane what I just did. I mean, I can’t love him like he supposedly loves me. He was like the weather; constantly changing something about him. It could be his look, his actions, or even his attire.

It was a good thing I was a convincing liar, otherwise most people would see right through me that I was just as infatuated with Shane Gray as he was towards me. Problem was I didn’t want him to know I shared similar feelings as him, seeing as my father wouldn’t allow this relationship to ever happen.

Guess this secret is here to stay.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story needed an update.
Comments?