Close to the Heart

Pajama Jam

“What the hell happened to you?” I asked as Mitchie came into my room, wet and covered in what looked like…chips?

“Caitlyn knows,” she said quietly as she dug through her mother’s dresser.

“Knows about your mom?” I asked. Mitchie nodded as she pulled out her mom’s red blouse. “Oh, I’m sorry Mitch. But why are you covered in water and food?”

“I tried avoiding her but I slipped on a bucket and I was carrying chips,” she said as she sat on her mom’s bed and sighed. “Now she’s saying she’s going to tell everyone. What am I going to do?”

“I’ve known Caitlyn for a few years, and trust me she won’t tell anybody,” I said.

“Are you sure? She was so mad towards me and I have a feeling she’s going to tell everybody.”

“She won’t, but come on go take a shower and get cleaned up,” I said.

“Okay, but I have to talk to you about my great day! Well, before Caitlyn ruined it,” she said quickly as she grabbed the red blouse and left to take a shower. I laughed to myself as I continued reading a magazine.

I turned the page and it was filled with a bunch of pictures of Connect Three. I rolled my eyes and turned the page. I kept turning the page and a rather large picture of Shane showed up. I ended up throwing the magazine across the room.

He was everywhere and I couldn’t stand it anymore. I wanted to leave this camp, but I didn’t want to stay home alone for another three weeks.

“Okay, so can I tell you why I had the best day ever?” Mitchie said as she came back to sit on her mom’s bed, her dripping wet hair was such a distraction.

“What happened?” I asked.

“Well before I went into the kitchen, I was with Shane!” she said excitedly.

“Yeah? What happened?” I asked.

“He wrote this new song, and it was beautiful! I’m surprised I didn’t faint right in front of him. I guess it was a good thing we were sitting.” She sighed and looked down at her hands with a huge grin on her face. “How can you not think he’s the most charming boy ever? I mean he’s so cute and funny.”

And now I wanted to gag. Why is everyone telling me how wonderful Shane is? I had a hunch he was paying them off or something.

“That’s cool. I’m guessing he likes you,” I said glad to be getting him off my back for a while. She laughed nervously.

“N-no way. He can’t possible like me. I mean, he’s 19 or something a-and I’m only 15. Isn’t that illegal anyways?” she asked as I laughed out loud.

“I don’t know, sure. Well, not unless you two, wait never mind. This conversation is turning into something I’d rather not talk about,” I said. Mitchie laughed lightly again.

“Do you want to do something or are you busy?” she asked.

“No, I’m not busy. I’m just too lazy to go out,” I said.

“Oh, are you going to the Pajama Jam thing tonight?” I shrugged.

“Maybe. Barron is forcing me to go so he can see me in my pajamas,” I said. Mitchie laughed.

“Are you two going out or something?” she asked which made me laugh.

“No way. He and Sander are my best pals. Plus he’s a huge flirt, I think he secretly likes Lola, but won’t admit it.”

“You really think so?” she asked.

“I’m pretty much certain he does, but he’ll never admit it,” I replied.

“Are you coming to dinner? It’s going to be a fiesta tonight or something,” she said.

“Nah, I’ll pass, but thanks,” I said.

“Want me to bring you back anything?” she asked while standing up and running her hands through her almost dry hair.

“Thanks, but no. I’m probably going to end up getting something from the kitchen later,” I said as I smiled up at her.

“Okay, catch you later then,” Mitchie said as she walked out of the room, leaving me alone and bored as usual.

I reached over and turned my alarm clock so I could check the time. It was only 6:15 and I seriously had nothing to do. I had already read a full 200 page book today and I did not enjoy it. I was considering reading another book, but that meant I had to get up to go to my dad’s cabin to grab one. And risk seeing Shane, no thanks.

Impatiently, I began walking around the cabin. The cabin wasn’t as big as the one I am used to, but it beat sitting on my butt all day long. I heard the cabin door swing open as I sat down on one of the chairs.

“Sweetie, aren’t you going to go eat dinner? I worked all day to make a great dinner,” Connie said.

“Oh, I’ll eat later,” I said. “I’m not that hungry.”

“Are you coming down with something?” she asked concerned.

“No, I’m not sick. I’m just not that hungry.”

“Okay, but eat something before you go to bed, okay? I don’t want you passing out and here you are staying with a cook,” she said as she laughed. I smiled at her as she went over to her bed and sat down.

“Maybe I’ll go eat something now,” I said standing up, “Catch you later Mrs. T.” I pushed opened the screen door and walked out. I noticed the sun was about to set, and the cold air was lurking around. I lazily walked the camp, casually waving to passerbys.

I ended up walking out towards the dock and sitting on it. The cold air made me want to run back inside to fetch a sweater, but the calming splashes of the lake kept me glued to the dock.

“You know, I could just push you in the lake if I wanted to.” I turned my head and saw Barron walking down the dock as if it were a catwalk.

“Then I’d die and my death would be bugging you the rest of your life,” I replied as Barron sat down.

“Why are you out here? Alone and at night?” he asked. I shrugged.

“There’s nothing better to do at this camp. You and Sander are busy with your Final Jam thing and Mitchie has a fat crush on Shane,” I said as Barron laughed.

“Are you jealous or something?”

“No. She just goes on talking about him all day long. Like today, she said he sung her a song and inside me I wanted to punch her face in or something,” I said as Barron cackled.

“So you like Shane then.”

“Do not,” I argued.

“Fine, then get your pajamas and come with me. It’s going to be fun tonight and you Sander and I can stay up all night and tell ghost stories,” Barron said.

“Sounds like fun, but no,” I said. He laughed once again and put his arm around my shoulder. “Gross, I’m Barron infested.” I casually removed his arm from my shoulder as we both laughed.

“Come on or I’m going to force change you,” Barron said standing up and extending out his hand. I huffed and took his hand. “Good girl. Now where’s your cabin at?”

“Out in the woods,” I said with a smirk.

“No seriously,” he said.

“Just meet me by my old cabin in ten minutes, okay?”

“Fine, but hurry up. I bet Sander’s already there.” I rolled my eyes as Barron and I went opposite directions. I walked back into my cabin and noticed Connie was reading the book I finished just hours ago.

“That’s a really boring book,” I said as I dug through my dresser. It was a complete mess, but only I could find where everything was located.

“Really? When did you read it?” she asked putting the book down to look at me.

“I finished it earlier. Sorry I had nothing better to do, so I borrowed your books,” I said as she smiled. I finally found my pajamas and held them in hand.

“It’s okay. There’s nothing better to do but catch up on some casual literature,” she said. “Are you going to the Pajama Fest tonight?”

“Yeah, Barron talked me into it. Anyways, I’m going to change and head out. So good night if you’re not up when I come back,” I said. She smiled as I walked toward the other side of the cabin and into the bathroom. I quickly changed into an old Mickey Mouse t-shirt with red plaid bottoms.

I stepped out of the bathroom and dug around for a pair of red flip flops, which were nowhere in sight.

“Um, have you seen my red flip flops?” I asked.

“Did check under your bed?”

“Good one,” I said as I walked over to my bed and looked underneath it. Alas, there were my flip flops. I reached under and pulled them out. “Thanks Mrs. Torres, I’ll see you later.”

“Have fun,” she said as I walked out of the cabin and towards my old one. Sure enough Barron was already there, impatiently waiting.

“Finally. It sucks being friends with girls, they take so long,” he said as he linked his arm with mine and we started walking.

“I couldn’t find my flip flops,” I complained, “And they complete the outfit.”

“Next time go barefoot,” he said as we arrived at the cabin where the event was being held.

“Sander!” I yelled out loud and climbed on top of the bunk where Sander and Andy were sitting. “Sander, you pick me up next time, Barry’s being a fairy.” Both Sander and Andy laughed, while Barron scowled and made his way up to where the three of us were sitting.

“She takes an hour looking for shoes,” Barron complained, “And nobody cares what’s on your feet.”

“It wasn’t an hour, and stop being a baby. I’m here, shouldn’t you be thrilled?” I asked.

“Whoopee,” Barron said sarcastically. I hit his arm as more people starting coming in. “Wow look at Ella and Peggy. They are twins!” I looked over at them walking in, and sure enough they were dressed exactly alike. They both had white shorts and green hoodies. I was glad I didn’t put anything green on. “Tess sure knows how to pick her colors.”

“Oh gosh,” I said as I saw Mitchie walk in. “She’s one of them!” Sander laughed as I hid my face in my hands. “What the heck is wrong with her?”

“Who knows? She’s a good kid hanging out with a creature,” Barron said. “Eat anything today?”

“Just breakfast. I wake up with the cook and she feeds me,” I said as Barron laughed.

“No wonder you’re such good friends with her. I was going to ask you how that happened, but never got the chance.”

“Oh yeah.” I smacked both Barron and Sander on the back of their heads. “Thanks for leaving me with Gray the other day. Git wouldn’t shut up,” I said.

“You two didn’t work out your differences?” Sander asked.

“Yeah right. Anyways, I’m totally fine without him in my life again,” I said. Barron looked across me at Sander and laughed.

“Okay Bella.”

“I know you don’t believe me, but trust me. I don’t need him,” I said crossing my arms. Barron laughed once again and I shot him a glare.

“Look, Caitlyn’s going to show off her skills. Wipe the glare off your face and enjoy?” Barron said with a stupid grin on his face.

“Fine, but you’re still annoying,” I said as I watched Caitlyn start to perform. She’s was doing awesome as always, until Tess had to be a blockheaded dolt and freak out over a snake. Turns out of course, that “snake” was just in her head.

Of course being the hotheaded person I was, I leaned forward on the bunk bed to yell at her. Lucky for her Caitlyn got there first and shockingly enough Mitchie helped her out.

“Oo, did she just tell Tess off?” Barron said high-fiving Sander and giggling like a girl.

“Oh, I think she just did,” I said with a grin on my face. “I taught her good.”

“You didn’t teach her anything, that was all me,” Barron said taking credit.

“Whatever! You said you barely hang around her,” I said as I noticed Shane for the first time, standing in the corner.

“You’re starting to drool,” Barron said closing my mouth again. It was the second time I got caught staring at Shane.

“I was not drooling. It’s not my fault he’s so ridiculously good loo- Oh I mean-” Barron laughed.

“You admitted it! See I knew you like him! Yo, Sha-” I put my hand over Barron’s mouth.

“You tell him anything and I’ll make sure I tell the whole camp about your fantasies about Lola,” I snapped.

“What fantasies?” Barron asked as he removed my hand from his mouth.

“You’ll see. Keep the fat mouth shut and nobody has to know,” I said.

“But it’s all lies. I don’t fantasize about Lola,” Barron said.

“So? Who do you think they’ll believe, you or me?” I said.

“Me,” Barron said as I laughed in his face.

“Keep telling yourself that,” I said as I crawled over him and hopped down to the floor. “I’m taking a walk, see you around.” I flashed both Sander and Barron a smile and walked out of the cabin.

“Nice pajamas.” I turned around to face Shane.

“Thanks. Why aren’t you in the spirit?” I asked. “And what’s up with you and stripped shirts? Is that all you own?” Shane laughed.

“I remember you like stripes, so I wear them to get you to notice me,” he said which made me laugh.

“Good one. Too bad stripes only look good on hot guys,” I said. Shane walked closer towards me and I just realized how much MORE good looking he looked in the moon light.

“You don’t think I’m hot?”

“Yeah right! That tree is hotter than you,” I said pointing to a lonesome tree to my left.

“I’m not afraid to admit you look good in that Mickey Mouse shirt,” Shane said poking my stomach which made me laugh.

“I know I look good,” I said, “Thanks for telling me that.” Shane laughed as he walked ever closer and slowly closing the gap between us.

“Care to come back to your cabin? It’s quiet and lonely in there,” Shane said.

“My dad will keep you company Shane. I heard he’s a good cuddlier,” I replied with a grin.

“There’s only one girl I’d cuddle with,” Shane said moving even closer, and now our faces were a good ten inches from each other.

“Mitchie?” I said with the same grin.

“Nope.”

“Hm, Tess?”

“No. She’s blonde, pretty and stubborn. And she’s driving me crazy because she won’t let me kiss her.” I had Shane right where I wanted him, tight on my leash.

“Yeah?” I leaned in closer and I could feel Shane’s hot breath on my lips.

“Yeah,” he said. I wanted to laugh, but contained myself. Just as he leaned in and his lips grazed mine, that’s when I pushed him.

“Nice try,” I said as I walked away laughing. “You are going to have to try harder than that.” I heard him groan in frustration as I made my way towards the cabin. I noticed Connie left the light on for me and was fast asleep. I quietly turned off the light and climbed into bed feeling as if I accomplished something big.

Well I did just make a fool out of Shane Gray. Too bad I didn’t get that on a camera.