Close to the Heart

No Means Yes

“Want to see what we’re doing for Final Jam?” Barron asked. It was now Saturday, and I wasn’t about to spend my weekend stuck inside a cabin. I already made a fool out of Shane, and I could care less about him now.

“I guess, but my dad wants me to come to the Beach Jam thing today. You two are going right?”

“Of course. I heard your dad talked Shane into performing,” Sander said.

“Gross. Way to ruin my day dad,” I said as the two of them laughed.

“So, did you consider working out with us and being in our routine?” Barron asked.

“I forgot about that,” I said honestly, “But do I have to? You guy are great dancers, and you push yourselves too much. You know how lazy I am.”

“Yes, but we have a few weeks to push you into a great dancer. It’s fairy simple,” Barron said standing up and showing me a few moves. I stared at him with my mouth opened.

“What the heck! You said it was simple,” I said. “I can’t do that.”

“Yes you can,” Barron said making me stand up next to him. “Just follow me. I’ll start slow then speed it up.” I rolled my eyes as I mimicked Barron’s moves. I started off alright, until he started jumping around like a monkey. I officially lost him afterwards.

“Okay, can I just watch from backstage?” I asked as the two of them laughed.

“Want to hear our rap? Maybe you can rap with us,” Barron said which made me laugh. “Okay, maybe not rap but sing. I know you can sing, and now you can show everyone your amazing vocals.” I sighed.

“Let me hear your rap,” I said. Barron smiled and jumped in place for a second.

Yeah, it’s your boy Barron.”

Yo.”

And the place to be it’s crazy come rock with me! Couldn’t wait to leave, but now I hate to go. Last day of camp, packing my bags slow.” I was already laughing which caused Barron to stop.

“I’m sorry, it’s just funny to hear Sander say yo,” I replied. Barron shook his head as I kept on laughing. “Sorry, sorry. Please go on, I like it so far.”

Made so many friends, why does it have to end? In the end it’s a win, because we grown so close together. Remember when we first met?”

First day.”

Figured this would be no fun.”

No way,” Sander said which made me laugh again.

And now it’s time to leave, leave. But now we wanna stay, stay, stay, stay, stay. Oh!” I laughed once again and clapped.

“Loved it!” I said even though they weren’t done.

“We aren’t done,” Barron said.

“I know. It seems to be getting better after each word,” I said. “Go on.”

Hasta la vista. I’m gonna say goodbye to you, whatever happens I’ll be cool with you. Wanna give me your number I’ll call ya. Promise I won’t forget ya. Hasta la vista. We’ll all be going separate ways, say everything you didn’t say. This is your moment, before you go. Come on now get up and show them.”

“This is the part we want you to sing in,” Barron said, “It needs a female vocalist.”

“What do I have to do? Spell out goodbye?” I asked laughing.

“Nope, just say keep doing your thing, thing, thing,” Barron said which caused me to laugh again. “You just love laughing at us, don’t you?”

“I’m sorry you guys. You guys are great, and this song is great but you make me laugh when you rap. You’re so serious and stuff,” I said. “But if you want me to be in your stupid song, I’ll do it.”

“It’s not stupid,” Barron said.

“Oh yeah, right. Sorry, your song is totally not stupid. I love it with all my heart,” I replied.

“What heart?” Barron asked.

“The one that beats inside me, duh,” I replied. “Now teach me your whole stupid song before I change my mind.”

>>>

After almost an hour of listening to Barron rap and Sander beat box, I finally got the song down. Now it was the dance moves I found difficult. We were in the middle of the routine when my dad finally found me.

“Bella, boys. Come down with me. I have a surprise for you guys,” he said putting his arm around my shoulder and Sander’s as well.

“What? Shane singing? Dad I don’t care,” I said. He chuckled lightly as the four of us continued walking down to where I crowd was now forming.

“It’s more than just Shane,” he replied, “Trust me, you’ll enjoy yourself.” Barron and Sander both forced me to sit with them in the front. People were starting to come in by the dozens behind us as the three of us sat on a blanket on the grass.

“If this is a waste of time, I’m going to scream and embarrass Shane in front of everyone,” I said.

“Bella, shut up and watch your boyfriend,” Barron said. He was lucky Sander was sitting in between us otherwise I would have probably ripped his stupid hair off.

After waiting for a good ten minutes, my dad and Shane both stepped on the stage. Of course cheers erupted everywhere and it took a good ten seconds for my dad to calm everyone day.

“Hey everyone, I finally talked Shane into singing you guys a song,” my dad said. “So give it up for Shane Gray!” He clapped his hands and walked off the stage, leaving Shane standing there smiling down at everyone.

“Hey guys, I got a surprise for you,” he said casually. He looked over to his right. “Come on out guys!” I looked to my left and noticed two familiar faces: Nate and Jason. Cheers erupted once again as the duo made their way down and onto the stage.

“Oh my gosh, Nate looks hot!” I said out loud making Sander, Barron and Mitchie look at me. “What? You all know it’s true.” Barron leaned over Sander and tapped my leg.

“Now it’s Nate?” he asked with a smirk.

“Hey guys, what’s up? This is a new song I wrote, so tell me what you think,” Shane said. The music started and Shane started singing. It was actually good, for something written by Satan’s son.

Three minutes later, I was blown away by their performance. I’ve always known these three were talented, but I never paid attention after they became famous. This song was secretly my favorite and I couldn’t wait until they made it their single. I was going to for sure buy it and play it non-stop.

The three guys stepped off the stage and I had to talk to Nate and Jason. It’s been way too long, and I had nothing against them.

“Where are you going beautiful?” Barron asked as I stood up. I waved my hand at him and went to where the three guys were standing around talking.

“Natey!” I shouted. “Jason!”

“Bella!” Jason shouted. He threw his guitar at Shane and went straight to give me a hug. “Oh my gosh! I can’t believe you’re still here! Shane you’re such a liar, she looks the same, beautiful as always!” I laughed as I squeezed Jason.

“Jason, you’re awesome, you know that right?” I said as I released from Jason.

“I know that,” Jason said smiling widely.

“Nate baby, come give me a hug,” I said as Nate walked over and hugged me. It felt like hugging my dad which was weird. “Ugh stop acting like you’re forty. You’re the same age as me, liven up boy.”

“Nice to see you too Bella,” Nate said as he smiled.

“What a waste of boy,” I said. “You’re freakin’ hot and the way you act you will never get a girlfriend.” Jason laughed out loud and even slapped his knee. I sighed. “I missed you two.”

“And I’m standing right here,” Shane said.

“Oh yeah, so how are you two?” I asked.

“I’m fantastic,” Jason said, “How are you? What are you up to? Did you help Shane make my birdhouse?” I laughed out loud as Nate sighed and shook his head.

“You can make birdhouses?” I asked looking at Shane. “Oh my gosh, make me one too!” Jason laughed as I jumped up and down. “Can you make it purple?” Shane groaned.

“Make one yourself,” he snapped.

“Aw did I hurt your feelings?” I asked making a sad face.

“No,” Shane said walking away, leaving me with Jason and Nate.

“Ugh, he’s such a little girl,” I said which made Jason laugh again. “What are you guys doing here anyways?”

“Visiting and checking out this song Shane wanted us to show the record company,” Jason said.

“I like it a lot,” I admitted, “But you can’t tell anyone I said that.” They both smiled.

“When are you and Shane going to get together?” Jason asked which caused Nate to hit him. “What? It was just a question.”

“Never,” I said.

“Shane likes you a lot,” Jason said. “Whenever he calls, he always talks about you.”

“Jason!” Nate said. “Shut up.”

“Look guys, I know he likes me, but I don’t want to date him. He seems to be into this other girl anyways,” I replied.

“Oo! Is this the girl with the voice he heard?” Jason asked. “What if it’s you or something?” I laughed out loud.

“Shane’s never heard me sing. Plus I haven’t sung once since he’s been here. Well unless you count today, but he’s been looking for this girl for a month,” I said. Jason put his hand on my shoulder and looked down at me.

“Bella, trust me. He is like in love with you or something and has been for like ever.”

“Jason, shut up,” Nate said, “Shane should be the one telling her this, not you.”

“Guys, can we stop talking about Shane for a minute?” I turned my attention to where a crowd was forming by the stage. “And, um.” I was staring over where I heard one loud, annoying voice. “When are you guys leaving? I mean are you staying here long?”

“No, we’re leaving today, sorry,” Nate said.

“But we’re totally coming back for the Final Jam! I so can’t wait!” Jason said as he jumped up once and clapped his hands. If he had more brain cells I would sweep him off his feet for being so cute. Too bad he’s an idiot though. I smiled at him as he finally stood still.

“That’s cool,” I replied. “Hey what’s Shane doing?” Nate and Jason both turned their heads to where I kept sneaking peeks at.

“Talking?” Nate suggested.

“No, he looks like he’s yelling,” Jason said.

“He looks like he’s going to cry,” I said laughing.

“If he’s in a bad mood, we’re going to go now,” Nate said. “It was great seeing you Isabella.” This time Nate walked forward and gave me a hug. “See you real soon.”

“Yeah, like real soon,” Jason said giving me a bone crushing hug. “We need to catch up. I can’t believe Shane said you moved to Antarctica.” He made a face as if deep in thought and shrugged his shoulders. “Anyways, glad to know you’re still alive and not living on an iceberg.” I laughed again.

“Nice seeing you two again,” I said as they both started walking the opposite direction of where I was standing. I was about to start walking off away from the commotion when a disgruntled Shane walked right past me.

“Shane?” He continued walking away from me and wouldn’t stop every time I’d call after him. I grew frustrated and found myself running towards him.

“Shane? What’s wrong?” I asked as I grabbed onto his upper arm.

“Why do people have to be fake around me?” he shouted. “I mean why can’t I find anyone that wants to know me, not Shane Gray?” I stared at him obliviously.

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“That Mitchie girl, she totally lied to my face. She told everyone her mom worked, never mind,” he said. “Why do you care? Every time I try to get closer to you, you end up pushing me away. I cannot wait until this summer ends, then I won’t ever have to see you or her.”

Shane pulled his arm from me and walked away. I had to admit, what he just said hurt even though I kept pushing him away; well more like playing with him. I thought he deserved it at first, but looking back at it I wasn’t only hurting him, but myself as well.

I sighed loudly as I walked after him. Even though he wasn’t in the mood for people, I figured he needed someone to talk to.

“Shane?” I said, cautiously walking into my old cabin. Sure enough there was Shane lying on his bed with his hands folded behind his head. I walked in and sat on the chair that was across from his bed. “I’m sorry I haven’t been kind to you.” I heard him scoff.

“Why are you even in here?” he asked.

“You’re sad,” I said which caused him to laugh sarcastically. “And, okay I don’t know why I’m here but I’m still your friend. I’ll always be here for you even though you haven’t been kind for the last few years.”

“Why?” he asked sitting up and looking over at me. I preferred him lying down, so I didn’t have to look him in the eyes.

“Why what?” I asked forgetting completely what I just said a minute ago. Shane sighed as he stood up and walked over to stand in front of me.

“Tell me princess,” he started, “When did you last let your heart decide?” I stared at him, most likely with my mouth opened. I always looked ridiculously unattractive around Shane lately and it really sucked.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked.

“What I’m trying to say is when are you finally going to admit you like me back,” he said. “You’re not lying to me, but to yourself. You know that right?”

“Fine, want the truth? I think you’re hot, but that’s it,” I replied. Shane smirked as I turned my head and stared at his now vacant bed.

“That’s it?” he asked. He cocked his eyebrow and nodded his head. “That’s improvement. I knew you didn’t really think I was hideous or something. I was having second thoughts that you actually thought a tree looked better than me though.”

“That tree was pretty though,” I said.

“It looked no different from the thousands of trees that surround the camp Bella. And plus you admitted I’m hot and that tree was ‘pretty’,” he said air quoting pretty. I huffed loudly and felt my bangs lift from my forehead and fall down gracefully in place.

“You’re annoying,” I said. I noticed the sky outside wasn’t as bright and I wondered how long I had been in this cabin. “What time is it?” Shane looked at his watch.

“Almost four,” he replied. “Why? Do you have somewhere you need to be?” I rolled my eyes as I stood up and walked over to my old bed. I plopped down on my stomach and grabbed my pillow. I noticed it didn’t smell like anything I used. It was more of a soft, men’s cologne.

“Did you sleep in my bed?” I asked annoyed. I threw the pillow on the floor and used my arms as a pillow. I heard Shane chuckle as he walked over to where I was lying down. He sat on the end of my bed and hit me with the pillow.

“Why would I sleep in your bed?” he asked.

“It’s much better than that mattress you have over there,” I replied as I closed my eyes. The strong aroma of this cologne was driving me crazy and my stomach felt like there were butterflies fluttering around. When did I ever get butterflies? I felt a hand touch the small of my back and for a second my heart stopped.

“Are you going to take a nap?” Shane asked.

“I would if you would shut up for two seconds. Your voice isn’t that great,” I mumbled, trying to fall asleep but Shane’s voice and scent wouldn’t allow me to.

“Might I suggest your own bed seeing as you don’t sleep in here anymore,” he said.

“I said shut up,” I growled as I rolled onto my back and sat up.

“Maybe you could use a nap. You sure are grouchy,” Shane said. I stared into his childish eyes and I felt I couldn’t stay upset with him very long.

“Can you please shut the hell up? I need my beauty sleep,” I said as I went back to lying on my stomach.

“I could use a nap, mind scooting over?”

“Yes, I mind,” I shot back. Obviously Shane didn’t hear me and I felt him lie down to my right. “I said no.”

“No means yes,” he said. I knew he was probably grinning from ear to ear and I turned my head to face him. Sure enough he had a small smile on his face.

“That is such a stupid comment,” I said.

“Did it make you smile?” he asked.

“No way. It just made me think of you as a manwhore.”

“Ouch. I’m no such thing,” he replied. “I’m saving myself for my perfect girl.”

“That’s nice. I didn’t,” I said lying. Immediately Shane’s facial expressions changed.

“You?” I started laughing.

“Kidding,” I said. He still didn’t believe me, but I could care less. “Can I please sleep now?”

“With who?” Shane asked. I groaned.

“I’m kidding Shane! Do you really think I’d go around sleeping with random guys? I mean this is awkward enough sharing a bed with you after I specifically asked you not to sleep here,” I said. I sat up again, clearly I wasn’t meant to have a nap today. Shane sat up and looked down at his hands.

“Sorry, I thought you were being serious. And if it’s awkward for you I won’t sleep in the same bed as you. I totally respect that,” Shane said swinging his legs around so they dangled off the side of the bed.

“Don’t be sorry,” I said moving over so I was sitting next to Shane. “I guess you can’t really tell when I’m being sarcastic or not.”

“Yeah, it’s hard reading you sometimes. Most of the time I think you like me back, but other times when you tell me off I figure you despise me or something.”

“Fine, I’ll stop being sarcastic if you just do one thing for me,” I said.

“What’s that?”

“Shut up!” I said and laughed afterwards. Shane smiled and shook his head.

“You’re one of a kind Cessario. That’s what I like about you,” he said. I felt my face flush and I quickly looked down, just not in time. I felt Shane’s hand lift my head up and I was looking directly into his eyes.

“You better not try to kiss me,” I said causing Shane to laugh.

“Thanks for ruining the moment,” he said removing his hand and placing it on his knee. “Even though you almost kissed me a few weeks ago.” I rolled my eyes.

“The water kept pushing me closer to you,” I said.

“Uh huh,” Shane said with a smirk on his face. “I saw how pissed off you were at your dad for ruining the moment.” I gaped at him.

“Was not! I was thankful for him to come and save me,” I said. “Plus I don’t want your germs in my mouth. Who knows what you’ve been kissing.”

“Just my pillow. Or wait, this pillow,” Shane said bringing up the pillow and holding it in his hands. “Who wants a kiss from the pillow monster?” I laughed out loud as Shane brought the pillow up and tried whacking me with it.

“Smooth move. You really are a charmer,” I replied as I stood up and walked over to the mirror across the room.

“Want to go for a walk?” Shane asked as I fixed my messy hair.

“With you?” I asked. I turned around and Shane nodded. “Fine, just don’t try and hold my hand or something.”