License to Love

Without You I'll Be Miserable At Best

‘’I bet all the boys are all over you!’’ Exclaimed Gerard, sitting on the swing. I had just finished explaining to him that all the guys at my school are assholes as I sat in front of him.
‘’No, they aren’t!’’ I giggled in reply, going a little red.
‘’I refuse to believe that! You’re smart, pretty and funny!’’ He said.
I shook my head, frowning.
‘’If I were your age, I’d so date you!’’ He chuckled, ‘’But I’m an old fart now!’’

I smiled sadly, and placed my face in my hands. That was the problem – he was nineteen and I was sixteen. As much as I wanted to tell him how much I felt, I knew I couldn’t. He’d never ‘’baby-sit’’ Charlie and I, which means I’d never seen him – I’d be miserable.

**

Mum handed Gerard the money, and he walked out the door – after quickly saying goodbye, of course. Gerard was a gentleman.
‘’Goodbye…’’ I whispered, as I turned to walk into the lounge room.

Charlie sat next to me on the lounge, and Mum joined us.
‘’So did you have fun?’’ She asked happily. She never suspected a thing.
‘’Sorta,’’ Charlie said quickly, ‘’He helped us with our home-work and then we watched a DVD.’’
‘’Ah, ok. So we should hire him next time?’’
Charlie and I both nodded quickly, and my stern mother exited the room.

‘’So how many friends did you invite over?’’ I whispered, making sure Mum and Dad were both up stairs.
‘’Um… Five. Don’t tell Gerard, though. That was the reason they weren’t here when you got back from the park. I kicked them out so Gerard wouldn’t know. But it was fun – and no, I didn’t invite any girls!’’
‘’Ah, kay.’’

We sat in silence for a moment, until Charlie shuffled around so he was facing me. Apparently we looked alike; we both had bright green eyes and I was the same height as him, despite the four year age gap. The only thing that was different between us – appearance wise – was that he had blonde hair, and I had brown hair.

‘’Did you have fun with Gerarddddd?’’ He asked, sounding as though he was about to sing ‘’Gerard and Arianna, sitting in a tree!’’
‘’Uh, yeah, I did. Why?’’ I replied sharply, frowning.
‘’Oh, nothing…’’
‘’Sure.’’

How does he know?