Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Sixteen

"What are you thinking?" Peter brought me back from my day dreaming of Nathan and I; we were in the car on our way to the Fullerton house. I called my mom saying to meet us there so she could help me make decision and after much, much, much begging she accepted. She's still doesn't agree with the wedding either.

"Peter, we really need to talk about our situation." I carefully chose my words, the grip on the wheel tighten, which quickly made my heart race. "I've really been thinking about our relationship and--" Peter was pulling the car over to the side of the dirt road, my heart raced, if plausible, faster. I stopped my sentence because we both knew where this was going.

Peter turned of the ignition of the car. He placed his hands back on the steering wheel. I tried my hardest not to hyperventilate, I looked at his knuckles, white as the moon.

"You can't do this to me, Melinda." He gritted through his teeth.

I gulped. “I’m... not happy... I don't want to get married to someone I don't... lo--" I let out a scream as Peter lunged himself at me, his hand was wrapped around my neck; his touch on my skin brought goose bumps. Now I was hypervinalating, I wrapped my hand around his wrist and tried to pull it off, but his grip wouldn't budge.

"Why can't you understand that you BELONG to me?!" He had his psycho look again. I could feel the warm tears streaming down my cheek and stopped at my chin and dripped on Peter's hands. Peter's eyes changed and they were soft and confused. The grip on my neck was set loose and I gasped air in my lungs.

"Melinda, I'm so sorry." His looked scared; he brought his hands to his face in shock. "I don't want to hurt you... but that thought of you leaving me makes me go crazy. Don't leave me." He wraps his arms around me and pulled me into a hug. I didn't know what to do so I just let him hug me. He slowly let's go and turns on the car again. I placed my hand on my heart trying to keep my heart from jumping out of my chest.

I closed my eyes trying to think of happy thoughts, but none would come to mind. I held both of my hands on my neck still in shock. Is this how I was going to spend the rest of my life? Was I going to be just another statistic of abused wives?

'No' I told myself. 'I'm going to find a way out of this. I have to.'

When we arrived at the oval drive way, Peter opened the door of my side. We walked up to the door.

"Here, wear this." He handed me a small scarf, it was chilly so it probably wouldn't raise suspicion.

Melinda felt this was wrong, but most of all she felt stupid. How could she let this happen to her? But this was out of her power, she was weak and fragile, while Peter was strong and a psycho in love. I wrapped the scarf around my neck and winced as I felt the soft fabric touch my bruised skin. Peter rang the door bell.

After a few seconds of silence, there was some hissing and steps coming to the door. It swung opened and revealed my mom and Peter's mom, Evelyn. I felt the tension in the air, I looked back on forth at my mom and Evelyn they had sour looks, like they just licked a lemon or something.

"Melinda, necesito hablar contigo ahorita mismo sobre ESTA... senora." My mom's voice was sharp and demanding. (Melinda, I need to talk to you about THIS... lady.)

"Por que?" I asked her. (Why?)

"No querio que nos escuche." My mom gave me a warning look. (I don't want them to hear us.)

"No hablan ni entienden el espanol." I said. (They don't speak or understand Spanish.)

"No importa, necesito hablar contigo a solas." I looked at my mom in defear and sighed. (It doesn't matter; I need to talk to you alone.)

"My mom wants to speak to me alone, we'll be back." Both my mom and I stepped outside to the oval drive way. Peter entered the house. "Okay, mom what is going on?"

"No me cai bien la madre de Peter." She pointed back at the house anger in her eyes. (I don't like Peter's mother.)

"Can't you even try to like her?" I asked and half-begged.

"No! La senora se cree muy muy es tan vanidosa." My mom's voice had venom. (No! She thinks too highly of herself and she's conceited.)

"But it's my future husband's mom, my future mother-in-law; I can't have you two hate each other." I whined.

"Mija, no me puedes obligar a algo que yo no quiero hacer." She puts her hands on her hips. (Honey, you can't make me do something I don't want.)

I pinched the middle of my nose and closed my eyes. "Mami, por favor, trata por mi." (Please try to, for me.)

She thinks about for a second. She waves her hands in the air in frustration and a sign that I had won the argument.

"Gracias mami." I beamed. (Thank you, mom.) I hugged her tightly.

"Now, you have some explaining to do about what I saw yesterday." She narrowed her eyes at me.

I tilted my head to the side a little. "What did you see?"

She looked at the house checking if anyone was listening. "I saw you with... Kevin."

".....So?" I didn't get what was wrong.

"Nathan was there." I froze.

"He saw us?" I asked slowly and she nodded; my mouth went dry. "Oh gosh. First the thing in the morning and now this."

"What thing in the morning?" My mom half-demanded.

"Uhh...” I chuckled nervously. "You see, I had breakfast with Kevin today and then... Nathan and...Lucy... appeared and the four of us had breakfast together." I ended the explanation with an innocent smile.

"Melinda." She waved her finger at me with a disapproving look.

"What?" I asked.

"Kevin means bad news." Her voice was like warning me.

"But mom, he's just a friend, plus I haven't seen him since..."

"Since he cheated on you." She finished for me. "Melinda... I don't want you to give Kevin false hopes... if he came back into your life it's for a reason."

"I don't know, maybe he's God placed him in my path to help me with something." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Help you realize what you're doing is stupid? Mija, a blind man could see what you're doing is absurd." She hissed. I rolled my eyes.

"MELINDA! Come and pick the flavor of the cake!" Evelyn was at the door and she waved her hand to us signaling us to go inside.

I let out a heavy sigh. "Be right there, Evelyn." I yelled back at her with a smile.

"Mel, there is no going back. Once you're married under the eyes of God you're bound to Peter forever, there won't be going back." Now my mom's voice was motherly, her eyes full of worry. "I would hate to see you unhappy, I hate seeing you right now."

"I'm fine mother. I'm fine." I said.

"It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself more than me." It wasn't a question.

"Can we just get this over with?" I snapped.

My mom ignored my snappy comment and nodded.

***

"No sir, well I don't want to be the blame, not anymore, it's your turn so take a seat, we're settling the final score, and why do we like to hurt so much? I can't decide, you' have made it harder just to go on and why all the possibilites where I was wrong That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa I drowned out all my sense with the sound of its beating And that's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa--"

"MELINDA STOP HOGGING THE HOT WATER!!" Linda banged on the door of the bathroom and yes I was singing "That's What You Get" by Paramore; the song sort of explained how I feel.

"NO I'M GONNA TAKE ALL THE HOT WATER... CAUSE I'M EVIL MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA... just kidding be right out." I yelled and laughed. The groan of anger coming from Linda made me happy.

"I swear Melinda; sometimes I think I'm the older one here." Linda said.

"HA! When pigs fly." I turned off the water and wrapped the towel around my chest and let my wet hair drip. "Anyhow, why don't you use the other bathroom?" I said as I came out of mine.

"Because Maya has a date with Brian and she's getting ready." Linda said, she closed the door as soon as entered the bathroom.

DING DONG!!

"Melinda could you get that, I think it's the pizza boy?" Linda yelled from the bathroom.

"I only have a towel on!" I yelled back.

"Just do it!" said Linda.

"Fine, you owe me big time." I said walking out of my bathroom and crossed the living room. I hummed the words to the song I was singing earlier. I got the money from the table next to the door and opened the door. "How much is it?"

"Not enough." Kevin's voice was smugly.