Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Seventeen

'Well this is embarrassing.' I thought and my cheeks were burning red. Hot and sexy Kevin was outside my door; I was with only a towel wrapped around my chest and dripping water. His smug smile turned into a grin as he eyes checked me out; he looked at me from top to the bottom, his gaze stayed on my chest.

I snap my fingers in front of his face. “Eyes up here mister." I said pointing to my eyes.

Kevin smirked. "Sorry, couldn't resist, how could I with half-naked goddess in front of my eyes."

"Aw, cute." I had sarcasm in my tone.

Kevin smiled.

"Wait in the living room while I go change into something less---"

"Exposing?" He finished with a smirk.

I glared hard at him. "Yes." I sighed.

He chuckled as I opened the rest of the door in so he could come in. I closed the door behind him and I quickly walked towards my room.

"Oh, if the pizza boy comes could you get the pizza? The money is on the stool over there." I pointed to the stool next to the door.

"And what do I get?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"Free pizza." I stuck my tongue out him; he just chuckled and shook his head in disapprovement. I ran the rest of the way to my room and rammed through my drawers to find my underwear. I found my bra and panties, I pulled them up. I found some Slipknot shirt and I slipped it on then I saw some old pair of ripped jeans, I quickly pulled them on. I brushed my tangled, wet hair and let it down.

"Who's in the living room? He's freaking hot!" Maya had come into my room, her thumb pointed outside my door.

"Oh that? That's Kevin... old friend." I said nonchalantly.

"More like ex-boyfriend." Linda had come out of the bathroom; she was wiping her hands on some paper.

Maya raised an eyebrow. "Ohhhh---wait the one you talked about not too long ago?"

"Yup." I said as I tried to find my other sock, the floor is cold.

"And what is he doing?" Maya asked.

"Don't know--damn socks--he might just be here to talk or something." I said a couple of profanities.

"Top drawer." Linda said pointing to the drawer behind me. I jumped from my crouched position--I was looking under the bed--and quickly opened the drawer and took out some black socks. I sat on the edge of the bed and pulled the socks on. "It's a bad idea."

"What's a bad idea?" I asked as I switched to the other foot.

"You and Kevin." Her voice almost yelled.

"Linda we're not doing anything, we're just talking." I said, she wasn't convinced. "Seriously, I'm not that type of girl and you should have a little more trust in me."

Linda sighed. "Mel, I trust YOU not HIM!"

"I won't let him do anything." I said sitting up from the bed and walked past Maya and Linda. The followed me to the living room where we found Kevin eating a slice of pizza.

"Pizza's here." He said with a mouth full and a piece of bread flew out of his mouth.

Me and the girls laughed and Kevin wiped his mouth. "Sorry."

"It's all right." I said as I tried to hold a laugh.

Ding Dong!

"I'll get it." I said as I giggled. I opened the door.

"Evening love." His presence froze my blood. Peter, he had flowers in his hand they were purple roses, my favorites. He extended his hand and the roses were in my face.

"Peter, I--what are you doing here?" I stumbled over words.

"I came to see my girl. Can I come in?" He moved his head side ways and I quickly did the same so he couldn't see behind me.

"Um... I... I have a friend over... I hope you don't mind." I couldn't lie because it was pointless.

"Hiya Melinda!" Beamed Brian's voice, he was going out with Maya tonight, remember?

I sighed in relief. "Hey Brian." I opened the rest of the door and Peter and Brian came in. I heard a squeal, Maya was jogging to Brian, she threw herself at him and he caught her with a 'huff'.

"Hey babe." He kissed her in the mouth.

Weirdest situation ever; Maya and Brian were in the middle of the room making out while me, Kevin, Linda and Peter watched.

"Okay! Okay! Lover birds get a room or get the hell out!" Linda shouted. Maya stuck her tongue out to Linda. Maya and Brian leave and Linda headed to her room; before she left she gave me a concerned look.

Quiet filled the air.

"Oh right! Peter this is Kevin my old friend, Kevin this is Peter my fiancé." I smiled at the end.

"Peter Watson." said Peter; he reached out his hand towards Kevin.

"Kevin Montello." said Kevin as he shook Peter's hand.

There was that awkward silence again.

"Um, so... want pizza?" I said taking the box and offered Peter some. He took one, I took a seat on the couch across from Kevin and Peter sat next to me, with his free hand he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to me.

"So Kevin, where are you from?" Peter asked.

"I'm from right here." Kevin said casually, Peter nodded.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" Peter tried to make it sound casual but I knew what he was trying to do.

There was a pause. "No... Not yet." Kevin smirked. "You're from England." He stated.

"Yes, how do you know Melinda again?" Peter asked as he took a bite from his pizza.

"We... had a relationship about five or six years ago." Kevin said. "Until I made a terrible mistake."

I was looking at Kevin the entire time and he looked at me.

"What did you do?" asked Peter.

"I looked somewhere else for physical satisfaction, I regret every single day, since then, what I did." His eyes wouldn't leave mind and I forced myself to look away, old feelings were starting to come back and it was getting me confused.

"I think I'm drowning
asphyxiating
I wanna break the spell
that you've created
you're something beautiful
a contradiction
I wanna play the game
I want the friction"- Time Is Running Out by Muse.


I jumped at the sound of my phone ringing. My heart raced as I recognized the ring tone; it was Nathan. I left Peter and Kevin alone as I walked to my dresser and picked up my phone from my room. I looked at the screen and his name flashed on and off and the song was still playing. Shaking, my hand pressed the green button I brought the phone to my ear.

"Nathan?" I asked.

"Melinda." The way he said my name made me so weak and vulnerable.

"He-hey." I stuttered.

Silence filled the air and I moved my feet up and down, due to my nerves.

"I don't know why I called." He admitted.

"I'm glad you did, there are things I need to explain; for example me and Peter haven't done anything." I gave him my most sincere tone.

"Swear to me that nothing has happened." Nathan's voice begged.

"No--" But when I was about to answer someone had snatched the phone away from me, I whipped my head around and saw Peter holding my phone with an angry expression on his face. "Peter..."

"I'm going to let this one slide, Melinda, because we have company." He gritted through his teeth. I nod my head fast.

"Knock, knock." Kevin's voice said. When he had his eyes on me he put on a weird look and then something must've clicked in his head. "I have to go."

"Oh, okay." I said walking over to Kevin.

He gave me the what's-wrong look. I shook my head to tell him not to mention anything. I walked him to the front door.

"I'll see you around, Kev." I was closing the door but he stopped it. "What is it?" I asked.

"You have no idea how hard it is to be around you and not hold you." He confessed.

"Kevin," I shook my head.

"No, I don't expect you to feel the same way... for now." He said and he let me closed the rest of the door.

***

I got up on Thursday morning to go to college. I did my usual morning routine. As I poured the rest of the milk on my Lucky Charms cereal I started to remember my small conversation with Nathan. I was so close to telling him that I loved him and how much I wanted to be in his arms.

"Morning, Mel." Maya greeted me with a peck on the cheek as a hello gesture.

"Morning, Maya." I groaned.

"Why are you looking so glum?" She was writing on the writing pad on the fridge noting that milk was needed.

"Well besides that I had my ex-boyfriend and current fiance over at my home at the same time, then everything is dandy." I flashed a fake smile.

"You need to sort out your problems before they eat you alive, girl." Maya waved her finger at me.

I rolled my eyes but not in annoyance. "I know."

"I'll go get the grocieries this time." Maya said ripping the list from the wiriting pad on the fridge.

"Good, because I've got my schedule full." I said as I ate my cereal, I accidently spitted out a heart-shaped marshmallow and it landed in Maya's orange juice.

She picked up her orange juice and started to gulp it before I could warn her; so, I quietly laughed as she drank her orange juice with my marshmallow. When she finished her juice with a big "Ah" I bit my bottom lip to keep the laugh from coming out.

She cocked and eyebrow, "What's wrong, Melinda, do I have something on my mouth?" She checked herself in one of the hanging pans.

"No, just remembered a joke from Family Guy." I lied and shrugged my shoulders.

*~Maya's Point of view~*

I gave Melinda another weird look before she left to college. I had college too, but I didn't go to USC. I went to something less stressing... UC Santa Barbara.

Linda went to UCLA, so as you can guess--for those of you who know--Linda and Melinda are rivals when it comes to College Football, even though neither of them actually like Football.

Brian picked me up so we could go to school together.

"Hey, babe." He said kissing me with so much passion.

"Hey." I said meekly.

"Something wrong, does my breathe stink?" He said as he sniffed his own breathe.

I laughed. "No, it's Melinda I'm worried about."

"That girl needs to sort out her prioreties." Brian said as he scrunched his nose.

"I know, I just wish there was something I could do to help her. Sometimes I feel like she's hiding something from us... something big." I mused.

"We know for sure she loves Nathan." I continued, I was now talking more to myself. "It's not like Melinda to keep herself from happiness."

"I know, there's something about Peter that I don't like. He gives me a the hibbie jibbies." Brian shivered.

"Me too." I said.

My classes went by like usual, there was nothing special about it. Not until after class, I came out of my English class, there he was; the infamous Nathan Fullerton was waiting for me.

I gave him a strange look as he approached me.

"Hi, I'm Nathan, you must be Maya." He smiled, I had to admit, I noticed why Melinda fell in love with this... God, he was gorgeous from head to toe.

"Yeah, hi. I don't want to sound rude but, why are you here? Melinda goes to USC." I said.

"Actually, I came to see if you could talk to me about... Melinda and Peter." His eyes had a concern and sadness.

"Sure." I shrugged. "There are things we need to get straight." I narrowed my eyes playfully and then smile.

He smiles and nods. "Yes."

"So, what do you want to know, Mr. Fullerton?" I interlocked my fingers together, we were in a cafe.

He sighed and thought for a second, I guess he was trying to think of a question that wasn't too straight forward.

"Do you know if Melinda loves me?" The hurt in his voice made me feel sad for him, he truly loved Melinda.

"I'll answer yours when you answer mine, why did you propose to Lucy?" I said.

"I... it was out of jealousy. Peter had asked Melinda right in my face, I regret it." He looked at the ground.

I looked at him. "Melinda loves you with all of her heart." He looked back at me.

"She does?" He croaked.

"I've never seen Melinda more in love." I meant every word.

"I know this may seem some what personal-ish, but do you know if Melinda and Peter... have... well, you know?" His eyes were pleading for a no.

"No, I'm pretty damn sure Melinda and Peter have not had intercourse. She would've told us since she's still a virgin." I whispered the last part.

His eyes suddenly came to life. "So, she's still waiting for the one."

"No." He raises an eyebrow at me. "You're the one."