Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Thirty-Two

“Oh, God!”

Nathan could really… make good eggs, what else was I talking about? Well, he brought breakfast in bed, I protested but then he kissed me and… well, now I’m having breakfast in bed.

“Delicious eggs honey.” I pouted my lips for a kiss and he pecked them.

“Anything for you.”

“Uh, should you be at work?” I asked as I glanced at the clock next to me. It was past nine in the morning.

“Nope,” He popped his P and smiled. “I had my day entirely cleared for you and I, we need to spend time together.”

I smiled wider. I poked my eggs with the fork and brought some to my mouth.

“So, what did you do after you left the office yesterday?”

And as you can guess, I almost chocked on the eggs, almost, I recovered pretty quickly.
I didn’t answer him right away, the first thing I wanted to do was lie, which isn’t a good sign in a relationship.

“Um,” I played with my food, moving it around. “Not much… I went to eat at a restaurant—“

“Alone?” He cut me off, I didn’t look at him.

“Y—yes.” I stuttered. “Then… I went to the fair.” It wasn’t an entire lie, but if I told him I had lunch with Peter and then went to the fair with him, I’m sure he wouldn’t take it so lightly.

“Everybody sing like it’s the last song you will ever sing
Tell me, tell me, do you feel the pressure now?
Everybody live like it’s the last day you will ever see
Tell me, tell me, do you feel the pressure now?”

My cell phone rang and I knew who it was, Nathan knew who it was and he furrowed his eyebrows. I picked it up from the night stand and pressed the green button.

“Bueno?” I answered in Spanish.

Hey, you’re awake.

“Yeah, it was a long night.” I chuckled nervously.

Nathan’s there isn’t he?

“How did—I’m not even going to ask. How can I help you, Pete?”

Well, I was going to ask you to breakfast but it seems he beat me to it, so I’ll see you around, Mellie.

I involuntarily shivered as he called me Mellie , Kevin used to call me that.

“I’ll see you around, Pete.” I pressed the red button.

“What did he want?” I could tell he was holding back his anger.

“Not much…” I looked at him and he gave me this look, I can’t quite explain it but then I just spilled it. “He wanted to take me to breakfast.”

I actually heard his knuckles crack as he clenched them.

“Nathan, relax.” I chuckled at his jealousy.

“Why should I relax?! He tried to rape you, Melinda!” He pointed out.

I rolled my eyes.

“It wasn’t that long ago, either.” He added.

“Forgive and forget.” I said simply. “Can we please not argue? I had a fight with Linda yesterday—“At that moment I heard the front door open and close. I heard someone slamming their keys on the wood table. “She’s pissed.” I whispered.

“Melinda!” Linda’s voice shrieked. I heard her light stomps coming and I hugged Nathan for protection. Linda slammed the door open of my room with an empty bottle of Vodka. “What.The.Hell?! You drank the whole bottle?”

“I was upset.” I said, Nathan still in front of him.

“Nathan, I suggest you move because I’m about to kick your girlfriend’s ass!” Linda snarled.

“It’s just Vodka, Linda; I’ll get a new one.” I was still behind Nathan.

“It’s not that you drank all of it… it’s that you drank, Melinda!”

“I’m twenty-one! I can drink!”

“You know you have alcohol problems.” Linda reminded me.

Okay, so a thing you didn’t know about me. For the last couple of months, when Nathan was still in a coma, I used to drink… a lot and I mean a lot. I came home from clubs drunk and Peter always got mad but then he would just sigh.

I do have a drinking problem.

“What are you talking about, Linda?” Nathan rose from the bed; he had his dress shirt on and his pants as well.

“Melinda? Care to explain?” Linda crossed her arms.

I sighed.

“I have a little drinking problem.” I whispered very low.

“Don’t mumble.” Linda barked and I glared at her.

“I have a drinking problem!” I said a lot louder.

Nathan blinked. “How come you haven’t told me?”

I shrugged. “It never really came up.”

“Being an alcoholic is something impo—“

“I’m not an alcoholic!” I growled in anger. “Almost everyone knew… but you were in a coma when I had ‘interventions’” I used air quotes and rolled my eyes at the word.

“It was that serious?” He whispered.

“I’m better at that now. I can control it.”

“It’s not something you can turn off and on, Mel.” Linda pointed.

“Will you forgive me if I agree with you?” I asked, with an innocent look on my face.

“If you tell Nathan.” And with that she walked out of my room, leaving a heavy tension between me and Nathan.

I heard him sigh again and this time more deeper