Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Four

"Jeff is such a sweetheart..." I could hear Linda's voice from outside.

I was on the couch eating my tub of ice cream.

"Brian is so funny..."said Maya.

I hear the keys jingling and then I hear the locks unlock.

"Hey Melinda." they both greeted.

"Hey guys. How was your double date?" I asked trying to put on a smile.

"It was great." Maya said. I smiled.

"Good, good." I said standing from the couch and walked to the kitchen and put the half-eaten chocolate ice cream in the freezer.

"Okay, what happened?" asked Linda as she leaned the kitchen door frame.

I give her a confused look.

"What do you mean?" I played dumb.

"You're ate ice cream like there is no tomorrow. Something happened, what was it?" she insisted. Maya joined us in the kitchen and had the same concerned look.

"Peter came over.." and he threaten to kill me if I broke up with him."We were eating and then..." I couldn't tell my friends about what Peter said I'll only put them in danger."Nathan...stopped by."

They both gasped and covered their mouths in shock.

"No way." they both said.

"It was horrible. I saw the hurt in his eyes and it tore my heart in two." I said.

"I thought you were going to break up with Peter tonight?" asked Maya.

"I was...but then I realized...I loved him." I lied, I'm a very good liar.

"You're joking." stated Linda.

"No. I really do love Peter, he grew on me, slowly." I faked a smile but it was a convincing one.

"Not too long ago you longed for Nathan." said Maya.

"Not too long ago, did I reflect on my true feelings." I snapped back. Maya shut her mouth taken back by my reaction.

"And what about Nathan?" Linda asked, clearly pissed.

"What about him?" I asked bored.

"You're just going to forget about him?" she asked.

"No...I don't know...Nathan is gorgeous he'll find someone who'll love him...cherish him...something I couldn't do." my voice began to break towards the end and how I fought those tears but the lump in my throat prohibited me from talking further.

"I don't believe you, melinda." said Linda. I gulped.

"Well I don't need your approval, Linda." I snapped and walked out of the kitchen and entered my room and slammed the door behind me.

***

"Ms.Gomez!" barked my Professor. I looked at his red face.

"Y-yes sir?" I stuttered.

"Do tell us who said "The Sun is but a Morning Star"?" Prof. Hinder was always moody.

"Thoreau, Professor." I said. He puts on a sour look and tries to pretend he wasn't proved wrong about my attentiveness.

The bell rang and then there was the comotion of everyone closing their lap tops or closing their notebooks.

"Do finish the book by the end of the week. Big test coming up and first points in the grade book." Prof. Hinder said. The class groaned. English, always came easy to me, though sometimes I didn't get poetry, not my best thing poetry.

"Mel!" yelled Henry, a friend I made in English class, he was an exchanged student from Denmark, bright kid.

"Hiya Henry." I flashed a smile.

"I-I was wo-wondering if you'd like to get a cup of coffee?" he stuttered, always knew he had some sort of crush on me.

"Babe!" Peter's voice startled me and I made a little jump and a bigger jump as he placed his arm around my shoulder. Henry's face turned into a sad one."Hi...and you are?" Peter and Henry shaked hands.

"Henry." said Henry.

"Good hand shake there Henry, I'm Peter, Melinda's boyfriend." Peter pointed out rudely.

"Oh! Um...okay...I-I'll see you around Melinda." Henry's look was hurt and I felt bad.

"See you next Tuesday." I yelled as he walked away. He raises his hand signaling he heard me. I glare at Peter as I remove his hand off my shoulder and since English was my last class, I went towards the parking lot.

"Melinda wait up." Peter yelled and I stopped as I made my hand into a fist.

"What?!" I hissed.

"Why are you mad, love?" chuckled Peter.

"You didn't have to be so rude to Henry." I half yelled, half whispered.

"He likes you, I saw it in his eyes." Peter's look darkened.

"And? That doesn't mean I was going to lead him on." I said.

"And I'm suppose to trust you?" he looked angry.

"Yes! You need trust in a relationship, Peter." I raised my voice.

"Look, don't get mad babe." said Peter as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me into a kiss. He pulls out."I came to tell you that my mum and dad are coming."

"Really?" I said shocked, he never really told me about his parents."Why?"

"It's a suprise." he said hiding something, which made me nervous. He winks.

"Where?" I said.

Peter's jaw tighten.

"At the Fullerton's Mansion." his voice had a hint of hate.

"Can't get enough of that place." I said sarcasm dropping off every word."Are the Fullerton's going to be present?" I was half scared to ask him.

"Unfortunately, yes. Mum and dad are close to John." said Peter.

"Oh." I tried to sound like it was nothing."That's nice. So when is it?"

"Saturday. It's a formal dinner, so ties and heels thing."

I wrinkled my nose at the sound of heels, because if it involved heels it involved dresses.

"What do you have planned for tonight?" Peter broke me from my thoughts.

"Girls night. I'm gonna go to the grocery to buy ice cream and rent some movies." I shrugged.

He eyes me suspiciously.

"What?!" I asked irritated.

"Nothing." he said.

I sighed in frustration and walk away. I hear his footsteps walk the other way, since visitors weren't allowed to park in the student parking lot.

I started look over my notes from my Anatomy class, there was another big test coming up and I needed to remember all of the bones of the body and name their function. I mummered some of the things out loud to myself.

"I always thought you looked cute when you read outloud." I dropped all of my things and I looked up and found a smiling Nathan. My palms immediately started to sweat and a smiled curled on my lips. I noticed how much older he looked, then I realised how different I must look.

"Hey there." I tried to sound casual and my smile started to twitch because of my nerves. He was leaning against my car.