Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Forty

“You look Bella.” Nathan said in an Italian accent. Yes, my middle name is Bella which is why I stifled a laugh.

“Wow, a few months ago I would’ve thought that would be cheesy, but coming from you it makes me fuzzy inside.”

He pecked my lips before opening the door for me. I slid inside the passenger seat. I watched as Nathan went around and came inside. I am so happy right now I could explode with all the good feelings inside of me.

We were going to Ana’s wedding. I had the invitation in my purse. It was nice to have Nathan all for myself. Most of the week I only saw him at lunch or sometimes he would just call saying he couldn’t make it.

Sometimes I felt a little envious for Lucy, she actually spends more time with Nathan than I ever do. But I shoved those ugly feelings aside. I didn’t want to be the obsessive girlfriend or something.

“Is something bothering you, love?” How does he know there’s something wrong with me? I guess it’s all in my expression.

“Nothing, just thinking.”

“What about?” I knew he wouldn’t drop the subject so I did a stupid thing, I lied.

“Just about how Ana and I used to talk all of the time and how easily we lost contact, but I’m glad to have run up to her and at your office none of the less.” I flashed a sincere smile.

He was quiet after that. All of a sudden I felt he was hiding something from me. Something he was embarrassed about. He looked at the road and at the same time he wasn’t.

“Is something bothering you?”

He shook his head and flashed the same smile I had.

“No, pet, nothing.” He reached for my hand and interlocked our fingers together.

The wedding at the church was beautiful. It was to be at the wedding and not be the one standing up there in a white dress. I was on the bride’s side but I recognized the groom. He was one of Brian’s old friends; I think I went to Homecoming with him on my sophomore year. I think he recognized me because he waved at me.

They said their vows and their, I do’s and it was all in all a beautiful wedding. Nathan glanced over to me as if deciding on something to tell me but he couldn’t. I tried to ignore it and pretend that there was nothing going on between us.

I could so use a drink right now. No! I must be strong for Nathan.

I congratulated Ana before getting in the car with Nathan and go to the reception.

“Okay,” I said while he drove to the reception. “Something is wrong, I can tell, you have something to tell me, what is it?”

“Nothing.” He had that tone that said I should let it go, but I couldn’t so I persisted.

“Nathan, I can see it in your eyes, please.”

“I’m not the only one with secrets.” He grumbled.

“What is that supposed to mean?” I was slightly offended.

“You’ve been seeing Peter.”

I laughed.

“Please don’t tell me you’re jealous of him, I think we’ve have this conversation before.”

“Yes and I just hate to know that he’s around you when I’m not there to protect you!”

“He’s not trying to get inside my pants, he’s actually dating again, believe or not.”

“I don’t. You don’t know him like I do.” He gripped the steering wheel tighter.

“I think I do, I was with him for three years.” Shit, I fucked up. I saw the hurt in his eyes the second those words escaped my lips. I pursed them hoping they would glue together so I couldn’t hurt him anymore. “Sorry, that was so messed up of me.”

“No, it’s fine.” He whispered.

We finally got to the reception. He still went around to open my door while I was digging for the invitation in my purse, you think because it was small I would find it, but nope.

“Ah, got it.” I said triumphantly as I took it out a little wrinkled from the sides but it was readable.

We became very silent. I didn’t like this silent. It was making me so nervous. I loved him; God knows how much I love him, but lately… I’ve been feeling… neglected, taken for granted and yes I sound like a brat but it sure feels like he’s WAY more focused on his work than on me. That sounded way too selfish and I swear I don’t want ALL of his attention just enough to make me feel loved.

The music was good a mix of Spanish and English music.

Ana came over to our table.

“Mel!” She exclaimed as she opened her arms for a hug. I hugged her.

“Dios, Ana, te miras tan hermosa.” I pecked both her cheeks as a Mexican tradition.

“Merci.” She answered in French. (Thank you) “Hello Mr. Fullerton.”

I turned to Nathan who was standing behind me with a kind smile.

“No need for formalities, Ana, we’re friends outside of that building.” They shook hands.

“May I just say you two look so cute together. I just never thought you would go for a gringo (white boy).”

I chuckled. “I was surprised too when I realized how much I loved him.” He wrapped his arm around my waist.

The groom crept behind Ana and kissed her neck. She laughed her face turning red.

“Jose, stop it.” She giggled. Jose looked at me and smirked, not in the flirty way.

“Melinda, you look good.”

Ana playfully punched him and I laughed.

“So, did you become a midwife like you wanted to?” He asked.

“Yes and no, I went back to school to become an Obstetrician.”

“Ah, going all the way I see.”

I shrugged. “Might as well.”

“You’ll become the best and you’ll deliver our babies!” Ana joined in the conversation.

“Just give me a call the moment you start to feel dizzy.” We all laughed.

Ana and Jose had to leave and Nathan and I took our seats.

“How do you know the groom?” Nathan asked after they were from hearing shot.
“He was my date for my Homecoming dance in my sophomore year, right after Kevin and I broke up.” I didn’t think when I mentioned his name and when it came out of my lips I remembered being in the hospital fighting to stay alive.

“Oh.” He said. “IalmostcheatedonyouwithLucy!”

He said it so fast that I only caught a few words: ‘almost, you and Lucy’.

“Sorry, come again?” My heart was thumping. A lump formed in my throat blocking my air way.

He sighed and turned away from me.

“Nathan, please tell me.”

“I almost cheated on you with… Lucy.” He whispered but I caught it.

The Salsa music started to play but I was waiting for him to say ‘Ha gotcha, I could never do that to you’. But no such thing.

“Almost?” I whispered I searched for his eyes but he closed them.

“Last time when you came to my office… if you would’ve been five minutes earlier…”

He didn’t need to finish.

“But nothing happened I swear, love, I stopped it before it got out of hand!”

This time I couldn’t look into his eyes. He got my hands into his and I pulled mine away, those hands had touched Lucy, eww.

“God, Melinda, it’s been killing me ever since it happened, but I think it would be better if you heard it from me than from anyone else. I love you.”

I shut my eyes, I wasn’t going to cry.

No voy a llorar, no voy a llorar! (I won’t cry, I won’t cry.) I repeated over and over inside my head.

“Say something, Mel.”

“I don’t know what to say, Nathan. How do I know it won’t happen again?”

“Lucy is getting transferred to another office in another city.”

I scoffed. “I knew this was going to happen. She was going to turn on the slutty charm and you would just fall into her arms.”

“I know now that it was a bad idea to have her as my secretary.”

I stood from my chair. I couldn’t be near him just now. He followed me because I could hear him calling for me.

The tears eventually fell but just in time when I was inside the girls’ bathroom.

“Melinda… please.” He begged from the other side.

---???’s Point of View---

With my binoculars I saw as the target moved through the crowd and went to the girls’ bathroom. I also saw as Nathan chased after her.

I smiled at his misery. He was going to pay dearly for what he did to my girl and his girlfriend was going to pay.

“So,” Tom said my partner in this said. “Is she hot?”

I gave him a glare. He gulped.

“So-sorry.” He stuttered.

She was hot especially in that gold dress that hugged her rightfully. I had to wait for my chance, even if it takes all night long.

---Melinda’s Point of View---

Two hours later Nathan was gone. I peeked outside the door and found the way empty. I sighed in relief. I took out my cell phone and dialed the house phone.

It rang, rang, and rang until the voice mail said.

“Heeeeeeey, you’ve reached Linda, Melinda and Maya, obviously we didn’t make it to the phone on time so leave a message after the beep, duh!”

I laughed as I remembered the countless times we recorded that until we were all satisfied.
“Guys, um, it went… well I’ll tell you later but I’m going home I might be a little late since I’m taking the taxi. So, yeah.” I hung up and sighed once more.

The reception was beautiful. It was outdoors and you could see the moon and stars, it was lucky that they had a clear night.

I hugged myself as I walked down the entrance and called for a taxi. I didn’t care if I had to wait in the cold of the night. Nathan had betrayed me, and it hurt so much to know he kissed her and God he kissed me!

As I walked down the street to meet the driver near some restaurant I started to hear heavy footsteps behind me. I stopped and listened but the steps stopped. My heart started to accelerate.

No, I was being paranoid; getting kidnapped twice and getting shot can have some trauma.

I hugged myself and I turned around to look behind me and found nothing.

“You’re being paranoid, Mels.” I said to myself as I continued to walk.

But a couple of steps later the heavy footsteps returned. Okay, maybe just to be safe. I stopped removed my heels and made a run for it.

Just as I was about to pass an alley someone snaked their arms around my waist and tackled me to the floor. I screamed as I hit the concrete floor but only half of my body the rest was on top of a body. I tried to squirm and squirm but he had an iron grip and I knew it was a he because the smell of AXE.

“No! No! Let me go! Let me go!”

“Lads, the bitch is a fighter, get her arms!” Another accent and I knew the guy was Irish.

“NO!” I screamed but then it was covered by a huge hand. I bit the hand of the guy and kicked the guy under me on the crotch. He growled and somehow I got a déjà vu from the first time I got kidnapped by Nathan, Peter and Chuck.

The guy released his grip on me and the other guy was too preoccupied looking at his hand. I crawled for a while until I scrambled to my feet and started to run again. This time as I almost reached my destination to safety I was tackled but this time up against a wall.

The side of my head took most of the blow. My brain got hit pretty hard and a headache started to hit in but I couldn’t stay awake.

“Fuck.”
♠ ♠ ♠
HA, yeah this idea came to me in a dream... sounds weird but yeah...