Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Forty-Seven

“Shit!” I cursed as I almost bumped into Devlin. He was at other end of hall and I had been avoiding him for the past week. You know why. I slept with him. In the heat of passion, I had slept with Devlin.

How fucked up am I?

Nathan didn’t even sleep with Lucy and I slept with his enemy! I’m such a whore! Do I regret it? A little, but at the same time… it was nice to be with him because… well he was good at that. He was really good, but I still got sick when Nathan entered my mind.

We had been through so much and I fuck up like this.

When I knew it was safe to walk in the hallway I walked down stairs, but as I was on the last step, I was suddenly pulled back up the stairs; my feet dragged and hit the stairs. “Hey, what the—“ But I stopped as I saw Devlin had a grip on me. I knew it was absolutely useless to fight him, so I just let him drag me.

He pushes me into the room and I was too slow and fell to the ground.

“What’s with the silent treatment?” He asked super serious. His tone told me he wanted the absolute truth and no bullshit.

“I don’t know what to say.” I confessed half-scared of his reaction to my little words.

His nostrils flared. “How about ‘I regret fucking you’?”

“I don’t regret it, so don’t put fucking words in my mouth, bitch!” I yelled back.

“You sure don’t act like you don’t regret it.”

“Cut me some fucking slack, will you? I slept with the enemy of my boyfriend! The man you hate, by the way!”

“I still didn’t deserve the ‘I’m avoiding him’ business you’ve been playing at for the past week.”

“It’s confusing!”

“It’s not! Do you love him or not?!”

“I DON’T KNOW! YOU’RE MAKING ME DOUBT FOR CHRIST FUCKING SAKE!!!” I yelled at his face after I had gotten up in the middle of my tantrum.

“You have feelings for me?”

I should think before I speak. I wasn’t sure what I felt for him. Sure, he was a cold son of a bitch, but… so was Nathan and I love him… I think, I’m not so sure anymore.

“Was I that bad?” Devlin teases.

I smile at him. “You were good.”

“’Good’? Only, good?”

I chuckle.

“Extremely good, better?”

“Loads.”

“You’re not mad anymore?”

“I can’t stay mad at you for some reason. When I look at those chocolate brown eyes, all of the anger and ‘hate’ just melts away and I find myself falling for you.”

I grew a little wary about his words. I knew that if Nathan found me, I would go back to him because with him I had my family and Devlin was still a mobster and Nathan had given all of that up for me.

“That was a compliment and something very hard for me to admit, say something.” He pleaded.

“I think I might be some kind of healer.”

“What?”

“You know for cold-hearted bitches,” I joked. “I think I can make all of them gentlemen.”

Devlin narrows his eyes playfully.

“That is why I like you.” He said embracing me. He pecks my lips. “I have to go to town again for more groceries, apparently Kane has been having a lot of midnight snacks and the fridge is empty.”

I laugh, knowing that it was true because I had caught him once and we ate ice cream together.

“I’ll be back.”

“Who’s staying?” I asked.

“Shane, don’t worry. He knows not to touch a single strand of hair on you… since you’re with me now.”

‘Since you’re with me now’ the words echoed inside of my head and made me uneasy for some reason. He gave a rare smile. He looked so cute when he smiled sincerely. If he smiled like that more often then I’m sure he would’ve had a girlfriend, but he preferred to stay away from that because of betrayal of Nathan.

We walk down the stairs hand in hand.

“Ah, the married couple has made up.” His grandmother beamed happily as she hugged us both. He and I had to bend down to hug her correctly.

Devlin, Kane and his grandparents soon left to the city. I was left with Shane who had a playful smirk on his face.

“What the fuck are you smirking at?”

“I’m sure your boyfriend, Nathan, would love to hear how well you’re playing this wife card.”

“Fuck you, Shane.” I growled.

“Anytime and anywhere, babe.” He chuckles with a grin and I flick him off.

“So fucking hilarious.”

“Seriously, Melinda, what would you do if Nathan walked through that door,” He gestures to the entrance door which I glance at. “And came to save you? Would you leave Devlin?”

A lump formed in my throat.

“Ah, reality has sunk in, hasn’t it?”

“Why are you such a fucking ass?”

“It’s my calling, darling. I think I was born you annoy you.”

“More like assault me.” I muttered and Shane laughs and shrugs.

“Maybe both, but you haven’t answered my question, Mels.”

“Don’t call me ‘Mels’ only my friends can and as far as I know you’re still on my ‘If I had a gun I wouldn’t hesitate to kill’ list, so you better watch it buddy.”

“You’re avoiding my question, that means you would leave Devlin for Nathan if he came looking for you.”

“Nathan doesn’t even know I’m here.”

Shane winks as he brushes past me. “Word is he has.” He whispers and I freeze. I whip my head to face him. His eyes held a glint of mischief.

“What are you talking about?”

Shane shrugs. “We shall see.”

He pecks my lips and I punch him on the arm as he laughs. “Couldn’t resist, they were right there and they were so inviting.”

“Go fuck yourself.”

“Where’s the fun in that when you’re right here to fuck?”

I hit him in his groin and he groans as he covers his wounded area.

“Fucking pervert.” I muttered as I rushed up the stairs.

I bit my bottom lip.

Two hours later I found myself listening to Devlin’s I-pod. He had some pretty good music, some I never heard but as I listened to it I fell in love with some of the bands on it. He also had some bands I liked Muse, Coldplay, Avenged Sevenfold. He also had this band I had been listening to before I got kidnapped ‘Burn Halo’. They were pretty good as well.

When Devlin came back, I was a little bit relaxed. I didn’t like being alone with Shane. He just freaks me out and I hated the way he looked at me.

I made dinner with his grandmother and she would tell me all these embarrassing stories about Devlin. Like he had chased a chicken in his boy underwear of Power Rangers. He had been a big fan of Power Rangers.

“Oh, my goodness!” I exclaimed. “Me too! I loved playing Power Rangers with my friends. I was always the yellow Ranger and my friend Linda was always the pink and Rodrigo was the red Ranger. Even in high school me and my friends got together and played Power Rangers.”

Devlin chuckles still red from hearing what he had done as a little kid.

“Did he tell you he once shot his father?” His grandfather beamed in.

“What?”

“With a bee-bee gun.” Devlin corrected. “And I shot him in the leg, which wasn’t deadly.”

I chuckled.

We ate dinner in an amusing atmosphere.

That was until we all saw headlights outside. It was around nine or ten pm. I furrowed my eyebrows and Devlin looked serious.

Kane looked through the window.

“Who could it be at this hour?” His grandmother asked getting up from her chair and walked towards the door and opened it.

“No Mrs. O’Brien!” Kane exclaimed but it was too late.

“Little NATHAN!” His grandmother beamed and I felt my heart accelerate. I looked at Devlin for some kind of ‘what to do’ thing and he was frozen as well. I looked over to Shane who held no certain expression.

I think I’m about to shit my pants.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, he's going to find her, OMG!!!!

It's going to be so much drama and bullets

yes bullets

who's going to die?!

Nathan?

Devlin?

Or Melinda?