Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Forty-Eight

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

{Nathan’s Point of View}

“Little NATHAN!” His grandmother called. She knew me well because when I was younger Devlin and I used to come during the summer and have the greatest time of our lives.

“Mrs. O’Brien.”

She scoffs. “None of that, my boy.”

“Right, Granny.” I said sheepishly as Peter gave me a weird look.

“Come in, my boy. Come in.”

{No One’s Point of View}

Melinda’s heart was going to explode from all of this. But she was relieved to hear his name other than from herself.

“Come in, my boy. Come in.”

Melinda looked at Devlin who finally blinked, but it was too late. Nathan and Peter enter the room. Nathan looked so relieved and so did Peter. Devlin glared at them only for a while because his grandmother came back.

“Look, it’s little Nathan,” His grandmother chimed in happily.

“Little Nathan?” His grandfather adjusted his glasses. “Ah! Little Nathan, you’ve grown so much, look at you!”

His grandfather rises from his seat and gives Nathan a big hug. Nathan’s eyes never left Melinda’s.

“Good evening Mr. O’Br—I mean Grandpa.” Nathan said.

Nathan scans the room and his eyes land on Melinda. His eyes and bodies relax for half a second. His eyes glanced at the table and saw as Devlin had Melinda’s hand in his.

“Oh, introductions,” Mrs. O’Brien. “That lovely young lady is Melinda Devlin’s wife—“

“Huh?” Nathan asks and he looks back to Melinda.

Melinda looks at him with a sad look.

“They’re what?” Peter asked.

“Married.” Mr. O’Brien. “We weren’t informed either; we missed a heck of a party from what Shane and Kane told us.”

“Are you planning on staying, Nathan?” Mrs. O’Brien asked.

Nathan wouldn’t take off his eyes off of Melinda who was looking back with tears in her eyes.

“Only if I’m not intruding, ma’am.” Nathan answers.

“Of course not, you’re family!” Mr. O’Brien. “Brianna, serve these young men some good. Take a seat.

The only seats available were two empty spots next to Melinda. Melinda’s heart was going to beat out of her chest as Nathan and Peter slowly walked towards Melinda. She grips tighter to Devlin’s grip.

Nathan couldn’t sit next to her so he takes the next one and Peter sits next to him.

“I’m Peter, by the way.” Peter said with a fake smile and offered his hand to Melinda. She looks at him incredulously.

“Melinda.”

“Can I call you, Mellie? I know a girl with the same name as you.” He smirks and Melinda glares at him.

“Melinda is just fine.” She gritted.

“Here, ya go.” Mrs. O’Brien serves them their plates. “What have you been up to Nathan?” Her smile made Melinda feel so bad.

“Not much… just… working.”

“Any girls, eh?” Mr. O’Brien winks at Nathan and Melinda turns bright red and lowers her head to hide it.

Nathan clears his throat. “None at the moment, unfortunately.”

Melinda needed to breathe. “Excuse me, please.” She says rising from her seat.

Peter smirks as he sees her walk up the stairs.

“I have to use the bathroom.” Nathan said excusing himself and followed Melinda up the stairs. “Melinda.” He whispers/shouts as he sees her going to a room.

Melinda stops and looks at him and her heart starts to fly.

{Melinda’s Point of View}

He called my name and my feet were glued to the floor. I turned around and looked at him. He had so many emotions in his eyes that I couldn’t tell them apart.

He looked so frustrated. I knew he wanted to scream and to yell. He opened his mouth but barely any noise came out.

“I-I-I… why?” His eyes were forming tears and mine were already falling down my cheeks like a waterfall.

“It’s not what you think, Nathan.” I choked out.

His nostrils flared. He was angry; I knew he wanted to yell at me. I reached out my hand to cup his face but he takes a step back and I felt my heart get stung.

“H-how… I thought we loved each other.”

It hurt to see him so… hurt.

“Ahem.” Devlin was only three or four feet away.

Nathan glares at Devlin and lunges at him grabbing him by the collar and slamming him against the wall.

“YOU FUCKING BASTARD!!” Nathan hissed lowly. “WHATEVER SHIT YOU HAD AGAINST ME YOU SHOULD’VE JUST CONFRONTED ME!!”

Devlin doesn’t look hurt by this or even bothered.

“Must I remind you that my grandparents are downstairs?” Devlin spoke calm and reserved.

Nathan seems to be debating something inside his head before he let’s Devlin go. Devlin clears his throat again and his collar shirt.

“Only because of the respect I have for them, if it wasn’t because of that you’d be dead on the fucking floor the second I saw you.” Nathan growls and sends one last glare at me.

I wanted to hug him and tell him that this marriage was pretend and I wasn’t married to Devlin, but I didn’t it.

I should’ve though.

I couldn’t go back down stairs and face him and Peter was there too. I have no feelings for him, but that smirk on his face is so infuriating.

“I’m going to sleep.” I said.

Devlin nods and goes back downstairs.

---Next Morning---

I woke up besides Devlin and now it felt so bad to wake up to someone whom I wished was someone else.

He opened his eyes.

“So, it wasn’t a dream?” He asks.

“No.” I answered.

“You’re going to leave now?” He asks.

I gulped and didn’t answer.

“He thinks we’re married… for real.”

Devlin chuckles and sits up and I do too.

“We could you know.” He says taking my hand.

“Devlin, I-“

“I love you.” He blurts out.

What a lovely way to start the morning, don’t you think?

“Let me continue,” Devlin says. “I love you… I mean… you’ve made me feel… well every kind of feeling ever since I’ve met you.”

“Why does this always happen?” I sighed rubbing my face in frustration.

“I would never betray you or even think of betraying you. My whole world would revolve around you, I’ll drop the mob business all for you.” He says.

“I really can’t do this, Devlin… I don’t know what to say…”

“Say yes, say you’ll marry me.”

I look at him with wide eyes.

“I can’t. I’m sorry.” I said getting out of bed.

Devlin looks hurt.

“Please understand. I still love Nathan.”

Devlin runs a hand through his hair.

“Give me a chance, that’s all I ask for.”

There’s a knock on the door. I look at Devlin but then walk to the door. I opened it.

“We need to talk.” Nathan says seriously.

I nod. “I’ll be down stairs in half an hour.”

He nods. He glares at Devlin and I see his clenched fists.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hola, Commentos?

Hi, Comments??