Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Forty-Nine

“Good morning, Melinda.” Brianna greeted me and then turned to Nathan. “Good morning, Little Nathan, how’d you sleep?”

I stole a quick glance. He had a smile. “Very good, thanks so much for letting me and Peter stay.”

“Nonsense, you’re family here! Where you two off to?”

“Just getting to know the wife of my friend.” Nathan answers with all sincerity and calmness I knew he didn’t have.

She nods in approval and Nathan and I walk outside of the house. The cool air made me feel a little better since I was feeling a little dizzy from being inside.

They walked until they got out of ear shot.

I wrapped my arms around myself feeling a little weird.

Nathan and I stop.

“Do you have any idea…?” Nathan started but then looked away from me in anger. “How much I suffered?”

I scoffed. “You think it was a walk in the park for me the first two weeks?”

“You sure seem to be doing fine now.” He said gesturing to the ring in my left hand.

I hid it out of instinct. “It’s not what you think. You didn’t let me explain last night.”

“You married my enemy, what’s there to say?”

“You stole Lucy from him!” I shouted of frustration.

His eyes widen and he didn’t deny it. Good, because if he did I would’ve kicked his ass.

“I was a different person back then, Melinda.”

“That doesn’t excuse you from backstabbing your best friend. That affected him in ways you’ve never imagined!”

“You pity him?! He’s a mobster! A murder!”

“So were you and I fell in love with you!” I shouted back. “I loved you with all of your flaws.”

His face went dark. Really dark. “ ‘Loved’?” His voice broke. “You-you… don’t love me anymore?” He asks dryly.

I gaped. I didn’t even know I spoke in past tense.

“Answer the bloody question!” He hisses at me his crystal blue eyes piercing mine.

“I-I don’t know.” I confessed.

His face fell. “What?”

“I don’t know anymore.”

“How can you not know? Do you or do you not love me, Melinda?!” He was close to me now. Looking my straight in the eyes. “If you tell me right now that you don’t love me… I’ll leave.”

My heart screamed ‘NO’

I shook my head. “I love you. I do… I just…”

“I now I’ve neglected you for the past couple of weeks, and it was all a mistake. You should’ve been my first priority.”

“I don’t want to be a burden, Nathan.”

“You’re not. You’re not trust me, love. You’re anything but a burden to me.” His eyes changed to hopeful.

“Nathan… do you love me?”

His eyebrows furrowed. “Would’ve I looked for you like a mad man if I didn’t love you?”

I smiled.

I shook my head.

“You can divorce Devlin; I’ll force him to sign those papers.”

“Nathan, Dev and I aren—“

“There you are, pet.” Devlin’s voice interrupted us.

We both looked towards him. I think we were both glaring. He had this rare smile on him when he saw me but turned absolutely dark when he turned to Nathan. ‘If looks could kill’ didn’t belong here. They were throwing daggers at each other.

“Good morning, Nathan, sleep well? I did… next to my wife.”

Nathan growls at him his teeth gritted.

“Devlin, stop.” I said as I walked towards Devlin. Nathan stops me and I’m caught between both of them.

“Oh, lookie, a fight.” Shane’s annoying voice came and I glare at Shane, he had this victorious smirk and winked at me.

“A hundred bucks on Nathan.” Peter’s voice said. Peter came next to Nathan and Shane stood next to Devlin and I was in the middle of four men who all somehow have hurt me.

They all looked at each other like in a Cowboy movie from the wild, wild west.

“We should all just remain calm… think of Mr. and Mrs. O’Brien.” It was all it took for Nathan and Devlin to back off from each other.

They didn’t want to explain to Devlin’s grandparents why Nathan and Devlin were fighting over me. Or some pride shit.

“She’s coming with me, Dev.” Nathan’s eyes never leave Devlin’s. The grip on my wrist only tightens.

Devlin reaches for my other wrist and doesn’t let go either.

“She’s my wife, Nathan.”

“Devlin—“ I wanted to tell him to stop saying that to Nathan.

“That doesn’t matter. She doesn’t love you.”

“Oh, she does, trust me.” Shane says and I gave him a look to shut up.

“What do you mean?” Peter asks.

Memo to self: Kill Shane.